Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran

Beach resort nearest to WDW

We are planning a mid to late Aug trip. We would like to stay at a beach resort for a couple days after WDW. We have never been to a beach in Florida. Could someone reccomend some good places? Thanks
sunshineNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

There's always Disney's Vero Beach Resort. It's under two hours from the World. An hour's drive takes you to Melbourne/Indialantic, and there are several beach resorts there from which to choose.

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
wiserabbit
Addicted to Pixe Dust

You are about 1 to 2 hours away from either the Gulf of Mexico or Atlantic - IMO the Gulf beaches are prettier - the sand is softer, water more clear, etc. We did the same thing you are planning and really enjoyed St. Petersburg Beach - look at the Grand Plaza Hotel - right on the beach, restaurant(s) on site - great views - not tooooo much $$$$.

Have a great time on your trip
Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran

Thanks!
sunshineNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Cocoa Beach is maybe a 40 min drive (Atlantic side) and the Gulf Coast beaches ( St. Pete, Clearwater) is 90 min drive.
We like both, the Gulf has fine white sand and calm water, the Atlantic is the ocean, so bigger surf. One daughter loves taking surf lessons from the Cocoa Beach Ron Jon's. last time she had the same instructor who gives the lessons at Wdw Typhoon Lagoon! My other daughter prefers floating in the gulf on her pool noodle!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Cocoa Beach is about an hour east...true ocean type beaches there, with a fair amount of stuff to do. We stayed at a Doubletree right on the beach in Cocoa Beach a few years ago..it was quite wonderful.
Or, if you head west, you're about 90 mins from the gulf. My ds lives in Tampa and it's wonderful to spend time with him at the beach. We always go to Ft Desoto, but that's another 30 min drive from Tampa itself. The drive from WDW to Tampa is about 70-75 mins, then another 30 to the beaches. St Petersburg is beautiful as well.
If you head west, you can always leave from Tampa International if you are flying out. Very nice airport!!!
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
dismom58
Disney Destined

My daughter goes to USF in Tampa and told me they all go to Clearwater Beach around 70 miles west of Disney. It has great sand she told me and lots of restaurants right on the beach. Maybe an option.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Or you can try the Daytona Beach/New Smyrna Beach area. Our beaches are fantastic and so are the "natives". We're about 1 1/2 hours max from WDW front door to either resort area. There's lots of condos/hotels, etc right on the beach in New Smyrna Beach and great restaurants and lots of stuff to do on the East Coast.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Jaco5nc
Excited about our Upcoming Trip

Ron Jon Resort in Cocoa is fantastic!! We also stayed at the Marriott Courtyard. It isn't really a resort but it is lovely. Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach is very laid back and lots of fun. Only an hour from WDW and an easy drive (although there are tolls). I am here now! Loving it:-)!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #10
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco5nc View Post
Ron Jon Resort in Cocoa is fantastic!! We also stayed at the Marriott Courtyard. It isn't really a resort but it is lovely. Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach is very laid back and lots of fun. Only an hour from WDW and an easy drive (although there are tolls). I am here now! Loving it:-)!
We stayed at the Hampton Inn next to the Courtyard! Loved the Appies hour My daughter loved the surf lessons from Ron Jon's.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: