Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
I've gotten by without flash at character meets, though there are some that a flash is helpful. I would include that in the handful of times when a flash is helpful.
Character Spot in Epcot, with it's big windows.. Is well lit without flash. Crystal Palace is very bright.
Many character meets are outdoors.
But yes.. Places like the Town Square m&g... I've gotten by without flash. But a flash can certainly be helpful. Though I still think you can get by quite nicely with the 50mm/f1.8 and ISO 1600.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. But it's a difference of priority for me. The character shots are a big focus of what I shoot, so I prefer to do more than just "get by". I don't like the shadows I get on faces, both indoors and out.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree. But it's a difference of priority for me. The character shots are a big focus of what I shoot, so I prefer to do more than just "get by". I don't like the shadows I get on faces, both indoors and out.
I don't mind a bit of natural shading. I don't like harsh flash shadows, which is why I don't use the popup flash indoors.

Example of indoor flashless character

All Imported-1194 by Havoc315, on Flickr
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
I don't mind a bit of natural shading. I don't like harsh flash shadows, which is why I don't use the popup flash indoors.

Example of indoor flashless character

All Imported-1194 by Havoc315, on Flickr
That has worked well for you. It's a great shot.

I do think some other character spots have much harsher lighting though. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the character spot at Epcot might have even have some exterior windows. It's been a while for us though for that spot, so I could totally be wrong. My least favorite spot is 1900 Park Fare, Town Square Theater princess meet and Pete's Silly Sideshow. But the all-time worst character lighting award ever goes to the Tremaine family meet and greet at MVMCP last year. They were outside, after dark, against the new castle wall...... without a single bit of lighting in addition to the ambient light from the rest of Fantasyland.

I still prefer to use my flash for my character shots. However, I almost never use it at full strength, for the very reason you cited.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:

But the all-time worst character lighting award ever goes to the Tremaine family meet and greet at MVMCP last year. They were outside, after dark, against the new castle wall...... without a single bit of lighting in addition to the ambient light from the rest of Fantasyland.

I still prefer to use my flash for my character shots. However, I almost never use it at full strength, for the very reason you cited.
I also take my flash with me and use it for quite a few of my character shots. My worst place for lighting, even although there is plenty of it in its natural form is the 100 Acre Wood characters meet and greet at AK. The Photopass guys don't get it right and I don't get it right. Although last year was the best to date, they are still not great!

Much as I prefer natural light (and this may be down to lack of knowledge and experience on my part when pressed for time) I don't leave the room without my flash and would probably have trashed a lot of my character photos without it

Havoc315, that photo of the kids with Minnie is beautiful! Well done!
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

Quote:
However, I almost never use it at full strength, for the very reason you cited.
Bingo! The flash has its plus and minuses. When I do use flash it's usually -1 stop. In the case of these character meets (indoors or outdoors) the flash should be thought of more of a fill, than the main source of light. Just enough flash of light to fill the shadows. Not a full power blast that will light the entire room. That's when you get into harsh shadows. You overpower ambient light.

That being said, you can get away without flash, even indoors. But you are pushing the ISO pretty high. Newer DSLRs shouldn't have a problem. But the OP has and older Rebel XS that may not be as clean at 1600 ISO.

It's all opinion and preference. There is no right/wrong or hard rule to follow.

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I do think some other character spots have much harsher lighting though. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the character spot at Epcot might have even have some exterior windows. It's been a while for us though for that spot, so I could totally be wrong. My least favorite spot is 1900 Park Fare, Town Square Theater princess meet and Pete's Silly Sideshow. But the all-time worst character lighting award ever goes to the Tremaine family meet and greet at MVMCP last year. They were outside, after dark, against the new castle wall...... without a single bit of lighting in addition to the ambient light from the rest of Fantasyland.

Yes, I was looking through my album and realized that for my most recent trip, most of my character shots were outdoors. And yes, character spot has big windows bringing in natural light.

I agree that the other locations you mentioned are much more challenging. And an external flash can be helpful. So it depends on your priority -- to me, you can still get away without any flash. And I wouldn't want to lug around an external flash for 2 or 3 pictures where it might be useful in the day. But, otoh, if you really want to capture the best possible shot with Mickey at the Town Square theater, then maybe carrying a flash is worthwhile.

As to outdoor fill flashes -- for those purposes, I'm actually ok with the pop up flash.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #22
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
I don't know what flash you have though, but I consider my external flash to be one of my most important pieces of equipment. First, it gives me better quality and more flexible lighting. And second, with its own batter power, it recycles much faster, never leaving me in the lurch. I use the flash in all character photo ops, and sure don't want to miss a great shot waiting for my flash to recycle.

These are my thoughts as well. While I do not go to many M&Gs except on our trips with children I consider an external flash a must for these. The photo opportunities come fast and without the rapid recycle time of the external flash a lot of those would be lost.

I keep the flash turned way down, sometimes as much as -1-2/3 and it is difficult to tell a flash was used (until comparing photos with and without flash). The slight amount of fill makes a BIG difference. This works for parades too (but only if we are allowed to use a flash at night).

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #23
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
I get why you, and most people who swear by them, take a flash. Personally I don't take a flash and it's no where near a priority for me. I'd rather not carry it and choose to live with the shadows or less than ideal lighting. This is just another one of those questions that can have two totally different answers depending on how people like to shoot.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #24
egrl144
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Just curious. Do you do many character meets? In the absence of character meets, I woudln't bring mine either. But for anyone planning a number of character interactions, I wouldn't leave home without it. And while the park in general is well lit, their character meets are nothing short of awful.
We have one character meal (can't remember where) and that is it. We probably won't do much waiting in line to meet characters. With so much to see on a first trip, I think that priorities will be elsewhere (no kids with us).

I understand that the flash can be very helpful, and if I had someone lugging the camera around all day, I would probably bring it, but it is just not worth the extra weight for the benefit I would get out of it.

It looks like I will bring all three lenses. Maybe some days I will travel "light" with the 18-55. And I can't bear the thought of leaving the 50mm at home. It is light and just too fun! I will bring it into the parks a day or two and leave it in the room if that works better.
egrl144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #25
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrl144 View Post
We have one character meal (can't remember where) and that is it. We probably won't do much waiting in line to meet characters. With so much to see on a first trip, I think that priorities will be elsewhere (no kids with us).

I understand that the flash can be very helpful, and if I had someone lugging the camera around all day, I would probably bring it, but it is just not worth the extra weight for the benefit I would get out of it.

It looks like I will bring all three lenses. Maybe some days I will travel "light" with the 18-55. And I can't bear the thought of leaving the 50mm at home. It is light and just too fun! I will bring it into the parks a day or two and leave it in the room if that works better.
Looks like a good plan. With so little character action, even this flash lover would leave hers at home.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #26
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:

Although I bring most of my gear to the resort, I select specifically each day what I am taking to the park and this reduces what is being carried around all day. Lenses fit quite easily into all Disney onsite room safes so there was no issue with storing it then securely in the room.

I loved using my 50 mm around the parks so for me it was a good call to have it with me and as you say, it's so small and light that you can take it with you every day without noticing any weight difference It's also amazing how light the camera feels when you're walking around with the little 50 mounted to it
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #27
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

The old saying is..."the gear you need is the gear you left behind"

Personally I bring everything. 1 body, 4 lenses, 1 flash, cards, and batteries. Everything I own in regards to my camera hobby fits in 1 back pack.

i will lighten my bag at times when i know i dont need something. Wont bring chargers, all the batteries, all the cards, lens cleaners ect ect. i leave a lot of that stuff in the hotel room.

I even have a smaller back that just fits a body and 2 lenses.

As far as the flash debate. i dont mind carrying it, so i take it. better to have it and not need it then the other way.

i preffer the look of a speed light portrait to that of a wide open indor shot or high iso indoor shot.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #28
rossb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
the goal of my trip is to experience everything that WDW has to offer and to have pictures to document the trip. This is not a photography trip, but I want to have these great memories in a more permanent form. I will be travelling with a group of adults, so I don't need to worry about kids nap time or diaper bags, etc., but we will not be stopping for extended periods to compose shots, etc.

I am looking to travel somewhat light during the day, and need some advice for what to bring.
I'd take your body with your 18-200 and I'd leave the rest at home. You may also want to consider bringing the 50 and the flash for shots around the resort, but I would not carry them around the parks.
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first trip, gear, photography

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: