Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Anyone done just medical coverage for trip?

We didn't pay for the travel, so I don't think I can run out and get travel insurance to cover the cost of the cruise, etc. I was overruled by those who paid for it. However, I'm weary of travelling abroad and my current medical insurance coverage. It is pitiful with in network coverage, awful with out of network and I have NO idea if they'll even cover out of country. If they do, it would be out of network, so basically useless. I see these stories of people needing hospital visits in the thousands and I'm thinking "Maybe $30 for just medical isn't such a bad idea." What have you guys done in the past?
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

I would work with the people that paid for your trip and make sure the entire trip has travel insurance no matter if you pay for it or they do. If you look through the threads one family lost a lot of money and had a big headache because they only had Disney Cruise Insurance and their daughter got sick with a 103 degree temperature the day before the they go on the ship. They were stuck at Disney World with a child that could not go anywhere. I would not travel with out everything insured; money and headache.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

If you go to www.insuremytrip.com, there is a drop down where you can specify "Medical Plans" as your selection. Then just put in the info for your cruise, and you can compare multiple quotes for Medical Only insurance.

I had friends who went to Haiti on a church mission, so didn't need to insure the trip itself, but wanted Medical coverage. They were able to buy a Medical Only plan very reasonably.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Yes, you can purchase "medical only" coverage as above. Or you can purchase travel insurance buy opt to not file a claim if you have to cancel your trip (as the people who paid for it objected). The travel insurance doesn't ask who paid at time of purchase although you might have to present proof of payment at the time of a travel claim (we didn't have to for a medical claim). Travel insurance would provide coverage for things like lost luggage while medical only wouldn't.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
bahacca
Mouseketeer

They are using flight miles for air and hotel and the cruise is partially paid using RCI timeshare points, so they opted not to get it. I told them if we couldn't go for whatever reason we'd be out the money and they said they'd risk it.
I saw plans for just medical that did actually cover luggage(which won't likely be an issue considering we travel with carry-ons only) dental and medical. They were $20-30. I'll talk to my husband about it tonight and read my own medical plan more in depth. Maybe they have better coverage for overseas that I think.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

We looked into just doing medical coverage/evacuation for our last cruise. We used http://www.insuremytrip.com/. We found that it wasn't any cheaper to just get the medical coverage vs. full coverage (trip interruption/cancellation/medical). So we just got the full coverage.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
bahacca
Mouseketeer

shmoo-that is interesting. The full coverage I'm seeing is in the $200 range while I'm seeing medical only for a single trip at $20-30.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
shmoo-that is interesting. The full coverage I'm seeing is in the $200 range while I'm seeing medical only for a single trip at $20-30.
I don't know, I was surprised, too. Maybe because we're old?

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Yes, you can purchase "medical only" coverage as above. Or you can purchase travel insurance buy opt to not file a claim if you have to cancel your trip (as the people who paid for it objected). The travel insurance doesn't ask who paid at time of purchase although you might have to present proof of payment at the time of a travel claim (we didn't have to for a medical claim). Travel insurance would provide coverage for things like lost luggage while medical only wouldn't.
The trick to this is to under-insure the trip. If they don't plan on filing a claim for the trip, say the trip cost $100. The policy will be *much* cheaper that way. Coverage for things like lost luggage and medical is not tied to the value of the trip. Only reimbursement for the trip or trip interruption is tied to the value of the trip.

Sayhello
Old 02-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I don't know, I was surprised, too. Maybe because we're old?
I'm old, too, and mine was coming up $22-$35. Maybe you were looking at the multi-trip policies? You can buy a policy that covers multiple trips in a year just for Medical. Those cost in the $200 range.

Sayhello
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Probably the first thing to do is review what insurance coverage you may already have. If you charged your entire trip, that credit card could already offer some or complete coverage at no cost.
Also review your medical insurance, some may already cover you when on vacation outside the U.S. But be careful, some may only cover you outside the U.S. for a certain number of days, usually 30, but some only cover you if the trip is 14 days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: