Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlDreamer View Post
I never thought of tablets, does it work on an ipad as well then? It'll be a little bit easier to see on a bigger screen :P + that I like using my phone for playing music while I'm driving.
Not sure about iPad, we're a strictly Android family - but DH used it on his tablet last year and it was great.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
Lizzi
Mouseketeer

Just remembered to check back to give a review on how I got on with the copilot free app on the Samsung Note.

My tablet doesn't have wifi, but does have GPS so used that easily enough. The free app, having chosen USA maps worked quite well, so long as I had an address to use. There didn't appear to be a voice to read out the instructions, so I had to rely on my passenger navigating from the app like a map, but other than those things, it worked really well as a 'free option'.

Disneyworld Florida [2013]

Previous Trips:
Disneyland California [March 1993]
Disneyworld Florida [August 1997]
Disneyworld Florida [July 1999]
Disneyworld Florida [July 2002]
Disneyland Paris [July 2010]
Disneyland Paris [March 2011]
Disneyland Paris [September 2012]
Lizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzi View Post
Just remembered to check back to give a review on how I got on with the copilot free app on the Samsung Note.

My tablet doesn't have wifi, but does have GPS so used that easily enough. The free app, having chosen USA maps worked quite well, so long as I had an address to use. There didn't appear to be a voice to read out the instructions, so I had to rely on my passenger navigating from the app like a map, but other than those things, it worked really well as a 'free option'.
The paid version has audio instruction, and lots of preloaded POIs etc. I've downloaded it ready for our trip and got the UK maps as well so I've been using it a lot for work, tis very good. maps are stored on the device so no data connection needed. As always though with any smartphone when abroad, remember to turn off your data connection to prevent the phone running up charges!!
bazzanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
Goofey's Girl
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know with the various different GPS whether you have to put an address in or could I just for instance put SEAWORLD, ORLANDO.

I was going to hire a car with GPS but they seem to charge you more.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #20
fizz13
Dreams about being stuck on Space Mountain

the sat nav I got from Alamo you could type in seaworld, sweet tomatoes etc & it found it for you, was awesome!

DISNEYLAND Anaheim 2005 WALT DISNEY WORLD dec91,jan02,jan05:mystic dunes aug06: polynesian, oct06:coronado springs,
aug07: pofq, dec07:allstarmovies-wilderness lodge, aug09: popcenturydec10: mystic dunes
DLRP-1998 Paris2000 Santa Fe2003 Val d'europe 2012 Cheyenne2013 sequoia lodge
fizz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #21
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofey's Girl View Post
Does anyone know with the various different GPS whether you have to put an address in or could I just for instance put SEAWORLD, ORLANDO.

I was going to hire a car with GPS but they seem to charge you more.
With copilot, you can either look for points of interest, restaurants etc. in a certain place or you can enter an address.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
Goofey's Girl
Mouseketeer

Thank you. I don't think I will bother paying for the GPS in the car. We have four iPhones between us.
Got to say I am a bit confused about the iPad. My iPad is wifi not 3G. IF I am reading correctly above I may be able to use that as well but for the life of me I do not understand when it won't be on wifi how it will know where we are. I think I must be thick.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #23
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofey's Girl View Post
Thank you. I don't think I will bother paying for the GPS in the car. We have four iPhones between us.
Got to say I am a bit confused about the iPad. My iPad is wifi not 3G. IF I am reading correctly above I may be able to use that as well but for the life of me I do not understand when it won't be on wifi how it will know where we are. I think I must be thick.
You would need to download a satnav program that has integrated maps. A clue would normally be the download size being MASSIVE compared to most apps which are 1 or 2 mb. For instance copilot this thread has been discussing you choose which map you want and it downloads it once you've paid for it. Most other mapping apps are the same. With the maps on the pad the app simply uses the pad's built-in gps to provide location for navigation, exactly like a standalone gps unit like a Garmin or TomTom.

The built-in apple and google maps are great for planning when you've got a connection but cannot be used for satnav without an active 3G connection as they send off to the interwebs to get the directions you've just asked for.

EDIT: This is the one...

Hope that helps!
bazzanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #24
Goofey's Girl
Mouseketeer

That's great thanks for the link.
Going back five and six years ago we managed to get a round just by looking at maps.
This will hopefully be a breeze.
And no shouting at each other in the car hopefully.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: