Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Pandora5
Earning My Ears

Something that always bothers me about situation likes this is that it's almost always the accusers assumptions without direct racial discrimination. They are suing because they "felt" or "assumed" that whoever was in the costume was a racist. They are pushing their beliefs on the character and suing because they feel wronged by those beliefs. In both stories, no words were exchanged and there is no way to know the reason the characters walked away. *The stories did not mention any conversation or explanation so I will not assume to know the reasons, however, the plaintiff clearly stated that they waited a few minutes and walked away.

Anyway, maybe it's because I work as a paralegal, I hear this stuff quite frequently from all races and/or I see so many people that are screwed out of justice because of the perceptions the general public has thanks to frivolous lawsuits, but I honestly get sick of stories like this. Yes, racial discrimination does take place and when it does it is usually pretty obvious with actual monetary damages but, without knowing the full details and ONLY basing my opinions on what has been reported, this suit seems to fall into the frivolous category quite clearly.
Pandora5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
Tinker1972
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
That's one of the things I find so magical at Disneyland. You're just walking around and suddenly Peter Pan is beside you, or any of the characters!

This is one of my very favorite things about Disneyland! On our last trip, my 5 yr old son and I were walking out of the Pooh Corner store in Critter Country and suddenly Eeyore appeared, he waved at my son, then took him by the hand and they went for a walk around Critter Country. It absolutely made his entire trip! definately one of the best moments ever
Tinker1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
mm1971
DIS Veteran

OK, so I read both articles and the "family attorney" for both says the only difference between who the character interacted with was race. I am betting Disney has the whole incident on camera and since we have yet to hear their side that both of these go away without much to do.

I'm trying to figure out what damages they are suing for. Maybe an autographed picture, a free vacation (to a place that is racist), life time passes (again to the same place), money. What are the damages or how do you prove intent here? Just another way to job the system. I do remember my DS when he was young kind of getting excited and running up to Goofy and not realizing there was a line (he was 4 people) and Goofy did not acknowledge him. Maybe I should have complained? or looked for a family attorney to complain for me?

Some things just don't add up to me. First, every line I have ever seen has been more than a "few" minutes to see Donald Duck. Second, with the monitoring and attitude Disney officials have about CM's being overly polite the CM would have a record of this behavior, right? And last, if you want to sue or raise a concern with Disney does it have to be in the media? I'm pretty sure you could get the story straight just by working it out in private and not going to the media and accusing a cartoon character of being racist.

How much is being ignored by a duck worth these days?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
going/again
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinez1895 View Post
Sounds like line jumping to me. It looks like ( based only what is quoted above) that Razzi ran up to Donald before it was his turn because they said that they waied for his turn and the character "continued" to snub them.
Thats how I read it also
going/again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #20
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

While I acknowledge it is likely there may be an innocent explanation for the two characters' interactions (the kid was cutting in line, or the character was literally oblivious to the situation due to wearing a bulky costume, etc.), there is also at least the possibility it was not so innocent. I had a very unpleasant interaction with a ticket-taker at MK with my family last year - it was not racially motivated (we are both white), but I assure you it was not very magical. As it was, I was motivated enough to send in a complaint and I did get a nice response from some high-ranking executive at Disney, which is all I wanted, but I have to admit that if I believed I was racially discriminated against, I might be very mad and out for my "pound of flesh".
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

just because you are both white does not mean you cannot be racially descriminated against. Am I reading this wrong?
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #22
meowmarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave
just because you are both white does not mean you cannot be racially descriminated against. Am I reading this wrong?
I'm guessing he meant he was white and so was the person taking the ticket.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

11/14 OKW ~ 2/13 POP ~ 2/12 DLR ~ 12/09 POP ~ 8/08 FWC ~ 6 pre-2000 trips (I've lost track!)
meowmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

My children and I waited for 30+ minutes to meet Tiger and Poo. We were next in line and suddenly Poo walked away. We were told Christopher Robbin needed him....did I cry and whine and make my kids long for Poo.....no we hopped on over to take pics with Tiger...should I sue because there was no Poo?
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #24
DisneyNutMary
DIS Veteran

It's a shame how sue-happy this country has become. In a park with 25,000 people, Donald snubbed my toddler, so I sue. Then when he goes to kindergarten, only the kids who color in the lines get a star? So I sue. Then when he's 17,he doesn't make the college of his choice, I should sue.....
I know it's a stretch? But it seems we are headed that way. Life is sometimes unfair, how me handle that builds character. Suing is not the way to build character.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #25
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
As an astute expert in people-watching, I've concluded that the vast majority of character "rudeness" (ignoring or mere cursory attention to particular children) is due not to their appearance or ethnicity, but to the way they (or unfortunately their parents) are behaving. I know. It's shocking.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

some of these kids act like the animals their parents raised them to be
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #26
Postal68
DIS Veteran

If I was Disney, I would hire nothing but African Americans to dress as the characters,
1- because when these other African American families continue to sue by claiming racism, they will look like complete morons
2- I don't think I have ever heard of a caucasian family suing by claiming racism
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #27
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
If I was Disney, I would hire nothing but African Americans to dress as the characters,
1- because when these other African American families continue to sue by claiming racism, they will look like complete morons
2- I don't think I have ever heard of a caucasian family suing by claiming racism
Ha. Then the employees (or potential employees) would sue for racial discrimination.

I hate to jump to conclusions, but it sounds to me like these people are just out to see what they can get.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #28
cmash95
a princess at heart

just an aside. IT was propbably not a guy in either costume. Men are usually too tall to be donald or the white rabbit. I have seen handlers for certain characters at disneyland but they were usually assigned to characters that had costume issues and it was difficult for the character to see or hear.
september 2006- carnival miracle
may 2008 - disney magic reposition through panama canal
December 2009 - disney magic eastern with stop in st croix.
August 2010 - disney wonder 5 day castaway cay
june 2011- dinsey dream 5 day castaway cay
june 2012- Disney fantasy 7 day eastern
cmash95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #29
PrincessSitka
I would do it in the rain oh yea I did and had a blast
I am going to try to bring my own water now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Eeyore View Post
I haven't had coffee yet so am compelled to make the following silly remarks. Forgive me. I promise to regret it after caffeine.

1. Note that the two perpetrators are white-skinned/furred/feathered. Coincidence?

2. Wasn't Donald also involved in a groping incident recently? He's obviously a problem duck.

3. How odd that the two families happen to be named Black and White.

Seriously, I am fairly sure that these characters have positive interactions with hundreds of people bearing the full spectrum of skin tones every day. I have a hard time believing that anyone could be singled out because of race in an international, multi-ethnic crowd like we see at the parks. I'd like to hear Donald's side of the story but unfortunately I've never been able to understand him. I suspect he'd quack something about the family not observing meet and greet protocol.

And have the same attorney. Very odd
Old 03-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #30
AnnaNonamus
Mouseketeer

I could be wrong, I am not looking at the Black Family (eh em, to avoid a lawsuit over racism, I mean the family with the name Black), but the direct quote from the kid looks identical to the other kids quote about how the child felt afterwards. At the very least, some very serious amount of coaching involved.
CBR - 10/20/13-10/28/13 - Free Dining Girls Trip!
AnnaNonamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: