Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Help With Hair and Bibbity Bobbity Boutique

Thanks to something on the Disney channel my 3 year old has seen a BBB make-over and now she "neeeeds" one. She wants the bun with the crown, so she can look like Tiana.

Anyway, my daughter is African American. She has very thick, unprocessed, hair. Normally I keep it in pony tails or braids. I was planning on just doing ponies for WDW because the braids get "fuzzy" too quickly with swimming and whatnot, and the ponies are easier to fix.

My question here is:

Will they be able to do her hair?
What will I have to do to it prior to her appointment (aside from washing it and combing it out)?
If I just wash it and comb it out will they be able to manage it, or should I try to blow it out somewhat?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

I have no Bibbity Bobbity Boutique experience, but could you put it in single braids/plaits, maybe with extensions, and have them pull it back into a bun of braids with a tiara? Or cornrow it back to a bun (again, maybe you'd need extensions? don't know how long her hair is) and just have them add a crown and makeup?

As the parent of an African American child with long hair (mine's a boy) I can't imagine taking the time to wash, comb, blow dry twice, an then rebraid while on vacation.

Either that or I'd schedule it for the very last day, and leave it in the bun till I got home.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
nanajoyx2
Enjoy those wonderful princes...they are a blessing!

We are not African American but my granddaugter has been to BBB twice. She has very thin hair and I did not know how they would be able to make a bun on top of her head. Not to worry. They use a ton of hair gel and in the end a lot of spray. Her bun was not very big, but they did it and she looked great. The second time this was done she was the flower girl at a Disney wedding.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
badblackpug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I have no Bibbity Bobbity Boutique experience, but could you put it in single braids/plaits, maybe with extensions, and have them pull it back into a bun of braids with a tiara? Or cornrow it back to a bun (again, maybe you'd need extensions? don't know how long her hair is) and just have them add a crown and makeup?

As the parent of an African American child with long hair (mine's a boy) I can't imagine taking the time to wash, comb, blow dry twice, an then rebraid while on vacation.

Either that or I'd schedule it for the very last day, and leave it in the bun till I got home.
Her hair is loooong. When it's braided it's between her mid back and her waist, but it is very curly, so if I just leave it natural it looks much shorter. I wasn't planning to braid it for WDW, because of the texture of her hair the braids/cornrows get very fuzzy very quickly, especially if she is in the water. I really didn't want to spend time picking them out when they got messy looking. I was planning on doing pony tails, I can fix them easily and quickly. My thought was to take the ponies out and wash it for BBB, but I didn't know if the hairdressers could deal with it in it's natural state, and I really, really, don't want to try to blow it out.

I haven't added any hair to hers (like extensions) though it would make the braids and cornrows last longer, because I can't do it myself and there is no way she is going to sit at the hairdressers for all that time. When I braid/cornrow her hair we do it in front of the TV and she (we LOL) can take a break when needed. My older daughter wears braids, but at 14 she can sit through it at the hairdresser.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

here is a thread that might be able to get you started.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....bbidy+boutique

But I would just call them and ask, that's probably the easiest thing to do.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
DreamDelta
DIS Veteran

My avatar is my DD after a visit to BBB. She has shoulder length, curly, unprocessed hair and they were able to put her hair up in a bun. This pic was taken in 2008 and her hair was done by a fairy godmother who was not African-American. When we went in this year in June, my DD had her hair done the same way and it was done by an African-American fairy godmother. I was pleased both times.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
badblackpug

Delta,

Did you just wash it and leave it out? Did you do anything to her hair ahead of time? I was really just hoping to be able to wash it and comb it out!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
GoofyTroopOf6
Earning My Ears

I have no doubt they'll be able to do her hair. I saw african american girls with their hair done. And if her hair is as full as you say, she'll have one of the best buns they make. My daughter has very long thick hair and her bun was PERFECT. The best, fullest looking bun that was done that day. Even her fairy godmother commented on it.

Colleen~ wife to Tony, my love of 7 blissful years
Mama to DJ Carmen Bekah and Brandon
GoofyTroopOf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

They should not have a problem. One of DD's BFF's that she dances with is African American with unprocessed hair, and she has had it done at BBB and i have done it for dance (I am not african american or used to working with her hair type). It really is not that hard to get into a bun, given enough hair product. You will likely have to wash when you are ready to take it down becuase of the amount of porduct they use, however.
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

One of my best friends is a FGIT at Magic Kingdom. She says they are used to doing all kinds of hair, but if you want I can shoot her a text....
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

I know this is an old thread, but I'm glad I found it! We're thinking of booking BBB for our upcoming cruise on the Fantasy, but we are concerned about her hair.

Anyone with African American daughters care to share their experiences? Our DD has Sisterlocks (which are tiny, almost micro-sized locs - the signature pic below was obviously before we got the sisterlocks). We can't comb her hair out, so I'm worried about exactly how much "pixie dust" will end up in her hair.
Washing it isn't a big issue, but I don't like to wash any more often than necessary or her scalp dries out.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
badblackpug

OMG! It was my post. LOL. I will share my experience since we did it. If I can get a pic up, I will.

I don't know how long your daughter's hair is. I am guessing it is short and in locks? If it is long enough to pull into a ponytail they will do that and then they can turn the ponytail into a bun. If her hair is short, then I am guessing that they will just dust it. I am not sure if the dust will stick because they used a lot of gel on my daughter's hair. But here is our experience.

The morning before the BBB I washed her hair and blew it dry, blowing it out a bit, but just enough so that they could comb through it. I pulled it up into 1 ponytail, which I wrapped in a bun. It didn't look so hot in the parks, but I didn't want a ton of parts to comb out. When we got to BBB, out stylist was a very blonde white girl (I am, too, FTR) so I was a little worried. I took the pony out, and apologized, her hair is long and thick and natural. The stylist, Erin, said not problem, and reached into a drawer and pulled out a brush, and some styling gel and went to work. When she was done her hair was smooth (even the edges!) and in a perfect bun. She was very gentle. My daughter didn't even cry. ...and she cries every time I do her hair. It was a great experience.

I would think if you plan to keep the locks in your daughter's hair and not really do anything with it, except maybe pull it up if it's long enough, it's not necessary to wash it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: