Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrbell View Post
The example of the ship that caught fire and is now being towed to Mexico has me thinking.. If there are people who got on this ship as a closed loop and do not have a passport. What happens?? Do they have to stay on the ship?? Do they throw you to the sharks??? lol Seriously Im curious what would happen to those people since its an emergency situation?? Does the insurance cover this kind of situation???
There are always ways to get an "emergency passport." I'm sure in this type of situation, there are staff members of either the cruise line and/or the local consulate who are directly assigned to help such passengers. I suppose there's an off-chance they would be admitted back to the states without a passport, but wouldn't count on it. Whether or not insurance would cover likely depends on the specific policy.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
Unless the one person with the passport has a high likelihood of needing medical attention (some sort of pre-existing condition) and you feel comfortable letting them leave without anyone else in that event I see no benefit in a single party member carrying a passport.
That being said, Murphy's Law loves me, so we all have passports.
Side note-Please bring proper documentation. The family ahead of us in line on debarkation morning attempted to get back into the states using a photocopy of a social security card and needless to say ended up off in a little room to the side talking to port authority/border patrol/some very serious looking guard type people. I don't know what ended up happening with that but I can't believe it's less of a hassle than just bringing your certified birth certificates or getting passports.
Seriously??? A photocopy of a Social Security card? The actual Social Security card isn't going to do you much good, let alone a photocopy! I can't believe they let them *on* the ship with only that for ID! Where would someone get an idea like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewdw View Post
we are planning first cruise this summer, 3 night only. 2 adults, 3 children we really have no desire to go to Nassau, want to stay on boat during that time. would a plan of one adult getting passport be enough to make those of you experienced with cruising feel safe? dont want to spend almost $600 for passports but also worried about not having it.
opinions appreciated
mikewdw
Unless you think one person getting back into the States would have a better chance of getting the temporary passports for the others once he got back.... There's no benefit in only one person having a passport beyond that one person.

Quote:
The example of the ship that caught fire and is now being towed to Mexico has me thinking.. If there are people who got on this ship as a closed loop and do not have a passport. What happens?? Do they have to stay on the ship?? Do they throw you to the sharks??? lol Seriously Im curious what would happen to those people since its an emergency situation?? Does the insurance cover this kind of situation???
If they are being bussed from Progreso, Mexico back to the US, then they will be fine, because a passport is not required when returning to the US from Mexico by land or sea. Considering how far away Progreso is from the border, I doubt that's going to happen, but you never know.

If they expect everyone to fly back to the US, then they will have to obtain emergency passports if they don't already have a passport. One would hope that Carnival is already working with the authorities in Progreso to expedite that process. I can't imagine the US saying "Oh, well, we'll just give you a pass this once".

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
From what I have read about this, Carnival is paying for the passengers to get home. I am assuming that would include getting the proper documentation including passports.
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
tnkrbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtwdw

From what I have read about this, Carnival is paying for the passengers to get home. I am assuming that would include getting the proper documentation including passports.
That makes sense to me. This is an emergency situation.
tnkrbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtwdw View Post
They are flying them home. I assume it will be by charter planes, and I'll bet they'll clear customs as a special group. There are 4000 people on the ship. There is no way they can book seats on planes 10 or 20 at a time, day after day.

There will be a special arrangement made. Many of these people may not be able to qualify for a passport (certain criminal matters, liens for child support, not citizens but traveling legally on a green card). One of the biggest reasons may be that the name on the birth certificated doesn't match, exactly, the name on the ID - happens all the time and the passport agency requires a correction before issuing the passport while it is fine to travel on the ID. The US will issue one time entries.

Those with passports will have an easier time but all will get back to the US.
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
mikewdw
wdw coach

my thinking about 1 adult with passport was if something was needed, the one with the passport could handle the situation and the other stay with cruise. didnt know if this sounded feasable
'02 WL
CHRISTMAS '02 AS SPORTS
'03 BC
CHRISTMAS '04 POP CENTURY
'05 CBR
CHRISTMAS '06/NEW YEARS DAY '07 AS MUSIC
THANKSGIVING '07 AS MOVIES
CHRISTMAS '08 POP
CHRISTMAS '09 POR
'10 POR
'11 POR
'12 POR
'13 BC
mikewdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #22
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
my thinking about 1 adult with passport was if something was needed, the one with the passport could handle the situation and the other stay with cruise. didnt know if this sounded feasable
But, if the one without the passport is the one who needs to fly home in the middle of the cruise (medical/emergency/whatever), they would need to get an emergency passport before being allowed to get on the plane.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #23
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I see your logic now... but there is one slight flaw. The problem isn't getting into the foreign country. It's leaving.

So, if there is some situation at home where you may need to send an adult home at a moments notice (say.. a sick relative or something), then yes, 1 adult with a passport would be useful.

However, if the concern is an emergency medical situation with people on the actual vacation, it's really an all or nothing deal. If one is stuck without a passport, you'll likely all wait for the emergency passport to be issued before anyone goes anywhere. Unless, say, Dad has to go home immediately to work and everyone else can hang out in a hotel for a couple of days to wait for emergency paperwork.

So, I guess I can see a couple of reasons one "passported" adult might be handy -- but they're pretty specific.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #24
mikewdw
wdw coach

thanks for info & opinions, i appreciate them
mikewdw
'02 WL
CHRISTMAS '02 AS SPORTS
'03 BC
CHRISTMAS '04 POP CENTURY
'05 CBR
CHRISTMAS '06/NEW YEARS DAY '07 AS MUSIC