Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
mikewdw
wdw coach

passport question

we are planning first cruise this summer, 3 night only. 2 adults, 3 children we really have no desire to go to Nassau, want to stay on boat during that time. would a plan of one adult getting passport be enough to make those of you experienced with cruising feel safe? dont want to spend almost $600 for passports but also worried about not having it.
opinions appreciated
mikewdw
'02 WL
CHRISTMAS '02 AS SPORTS
'03 BC
CHRISTMAS '04 POP CENTURY
'05 CBR
CHRISTMAS '06/NEW YEARS DAY '07 AS MUSIC
THANKSGIVING '07 AS MOVIES
CHRISTMAS '08 POP
CHRISTMAS '09 POR
'10 POR
'11 POR
'12 POR
'13 BC
mikewdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewdw View Post
we are planning first cruise this summer, 3 night only. 2 adults, 3 children we really have no desire to go to Nassau, want to stay on boat during that time. would a plan of one adult getting passport be enough to make those of you experienced with cruising feel safe? dont want to spend almost $600 for passports but also worried about not having it.
opinions appreciated
mikewdw
Well, the one adult with the passport would have no problems if they needed to fly home early from the cruise. Anyone else would have to get a passport before being able to fly home, if there were any sort of emergency requiring that.

I feel most comfortable with everyone having a passport.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
opinions appreciated
mikewdw
I guess I don't understand the benefit of ONE person in your party having a passport. ??

We (the adults) in our party all have our passports. We got them when we cruise a few years back and have used them a few times since. They are a nice travel document for airports and cruise lines and are good for 10 years.

We are NOT getting passports for our children. My son had one, 5 years ago, but it expired. Due to our life circumstances, after this one cruise in April, we will not be cruising again for years. We also will rarely fly, if at all for at least a couple more years. SO, we've chosen not to pay $110 per child for a document that will have little value for our children.

If you regularly cruise, I'd get them. If this trip is a "once in a lifetime" type event.. I wouldn't bother.

But, that's just my opinion.. for what little it is worth.

Last edited by mbrocker; 02-10-2013 at 11:42 PM. Reason: clarity
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Unless the one person with the passport has a high likelihood of needing medical attention (some sort of pre-existing condition) and you feel comfortable letting them leave without anyone else in that event I see no benefit in a single party member carrying a passport.
That being said, Murphy's Law loves me, so we all have passports.
Side note-Please bring proper documentation. The family ahead of us in line on debarkation morning attempted to get back into the states using a photocopy of a social security card and needless to say ended up off in a little room to the side talking to port authority/border patrol/some very serious looking guard type people. I don't know what ended up happening with that but I can't believe it's less of a hassle than just bringing your certified birth certificates or getting passports.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Nini05
Earning My Ears

Wevre getting passports or grands just o be safe.
Nini05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
luv2cruisedisney
Mouseketeer

Please see the stories of

the Carnival ship that had a fire and all passengers will have to disembark in Mexico

and

the woman who's daughter had what they thought was an appendicitis (sp)
and they almost missed the ship

Not trying to scare anyone but....stuff happens
Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruisedisney View Post
Please see the stories of

the Carnival ship that had a fire and all passengers will have to disembark in Mexico

and

the woman who's daughter had what they thought was an appendicitis (sp)
and they almost missed the ship

Not trying to scare anyone but....stuff happens
THIS! Those people on that Carnival ship were on a closed loop and now will be stranded in Mexico. It happens, not often thankfully, but peace of mind is worth something - similar to trip insurance.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
lucyem
DIS Veteran

In my own mind all of us having a passport is insurance. By the time they expire my kids might have never really used them except on a couple of closed loop cruises. But I have peace of mind.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
THIS! Those people on that Carnival ship were on a closed loop and now will be stranded in Mexico. It happens, not often thankfully, but peace of mind is worth something - similar to trip insurance.
While I'm sure life would be easier if they had a passport; there is no indication that they'll be stranded.

It is all a calculated risk. You have to decide if the expense is worth it. Some people would never even consider going without .. others never bother. I tend to fall somewhere in between.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

I have done over 25 cruises, 13 on DCL. I have a passport and never have had to use it (knock wood). In case of an actual emergency, there would be people that would be able to help you get an expidited passport.

I know that I am in the minoirty here but I would tell you not to spend the extra money. Just use your BC and ids.

People on the Dis tend to lean towards the most extreme, highly unlikely scenarios. But if you polled those people, most would tell you that they have not had to use their passports ever in case of an emergency.

You have to do what is right for your family and only you know what that is....
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
opinions appreciated
mikewdw
I'm not sure how much "value" there is to 1 adult with a passport but not the rest of the family. As a PP mentioned, if that particular adult has a medical condition that might require emergency require him/her to not return to the US on the ship, then certainly he/she would be best suited to having a passport.

If you are simply thinking that if 1 person has a passport it will help the entire family - no such luck. The sick/injured person would be cared for with or without a passport, but ANYONE who doesn't have a passport would need to obtain an emergency passport to return to the U.S. by air, and that includes a parent accompanying a sick or injured child.

I suggest either springing for full passports for the whole family. Or take the calculated risk of having an uneventful cruise (emergency-wise) and not having passports. My family has cruised without full passports so it's not a big deal; some feel they are necessary as "insurance." You will need to decide for your family, but getting a passport for 1 person and not others seems to be an odd and likely not helpful scenario.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
jendeli
Earning My Ears

Get a passport. And travel insurance. I had the daughter with the almost appendicitis and the $3,000 medical bill in Nassau. Never once was did the port authority 100% assure me that he would be able to get me a passport. He said He'd do his best. When I asked him how many times this sort of emergency with no passport thing happens he said, "unfortunately, too many times." Now I don't know if he had any doubts about getting me a passport or not, but that's not the point of this post. The point is, it's not worth the extra stress and worry. Get a passport, get piece of mind. And get travel insurance.
jendeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendeli
Get a passport. And travel insurance. I had the daughter with the almost appendicitis and the $3,000 medical bill in Nassau. Never once was did the port authority 100% assure me that he would be able to get me a passport. He said He'd do his best. When I asked him how many times this sort of emergency with no passport thing happens he said, "unfortunately, too many times." Now I don't know if he had any doubts about getting me a passport or not, but that's not the point of this post. The point is, it's not worth the extra stress and worry. Get a passport, get piece of mind. And get travel insurance.
Thank you for responding! I referenced your story, and am so happy things worked out for you. Thankfully, we got passports for our first cruise as well as travel insurance. For the second one, I was debating the insurance, but bought it the day I read your story. Thanks so much for sharing...it reminds me of what could happen. I'm not a risk taker, so I want my bases covered. I understand everyone is not that way, but just my opinion.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
jendeli
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcg

Thank you for responding! I referenced your story, and am so happy things worked out for you. Thankfully, we got passports for our first cruise as well as travel insurance. For the second one, I was debating the insurance, but bought it the day I read your story. Thanks so much for sharing...it reminds me of what could happen. I'm not a risk taker, so I want my bases covered. I understand everyone is not that way, but just my opinion.
jendeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
tnkrbell
DIS Veteran

The example of the ship that caught fire and is now being towed to Mexico has me thinking.. If there are people who got on this ship as a closed loop and do not have a passport. What happens?? Do they have to stay on the ship?? Do they throw you to the sharks??? lol Seriously Im curious what would happen to those people since its an emergency situation?? Does the insurance cover this kind of situation???
tnkrbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: