Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
zoo2tycoon
Mouseketeer

Delta vs US AIRWAYS

I am currently comparing flights to US Virgin Islands on both airlines.
Delta is $25 more than US AIRWAYS...so $100 for my family of 4.

I know both charge $25 for baggage fees.

Confusion is on the seat fees. I am having a hard time finding an exact cost for just basic aisle seats (tall boys need the aisle seats). Does anyone have insight on the cost? I found some site and it gave a range for US AIRWAYS of $15-$99 or something like that per seat per leg of flight so I'd need to factor that into cost. Same site seemed to indicate for basic seats Delta didn't charge??? Which I find hard to believe in this era of charging for everything.

I tried to call the airlines BUT understandably with the snow storm the wait was a long time and I gave up.

Does anyone who has flown recently have any ideas on cost.

Thanks!
zoo2tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I believe you could do a practice booking and see the total before you commit to paying. You'd have to select seats before you submitted your credit card information. It would require filling out all the address and name parts but I have done it to see what the total price would be because I believe the seat fees change depending on the flight.
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

You can pre-select certain seats for free on both Delta and USAirways. If you want preferred seats, do as the PP suggested: do a fake booking online, filling out all your info and desired seats, then see what the cost is. You can always change your mind or close the website before committing to the total cost.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo2tycoon View Post
I am currently comparing flights to US Virgin Islands on both airlines.
Delta is $25 more than US AIRWAYS...so $100 for my family of 4.

I know both charge $25 for baggage fees.

Confusion is on the seat fees. I am having a hard time finding an exact cost for just basic aisle seats (tall boys need the aisle seats). Does anyone have insight on the cost? I found some site and it gave a range for US AIRWAYS of $15-$99 or something like that per seat per leg of flight so I'd need to factor that into cost. Same site seemed to indicate for basic seats Delta didn't charge??? Which I find hard to believe in this era of charging for everything.

I tried to call the airlines BUT understandably with the snow storm the wait was a long time and I gave up.

Does anyone who has flown recently have any ideas on cost.

Thanks!
I've flown both pretty often and prefer Delta, especially for long flights. US has no inflight entertainment, some Delta planes have the personal TV's, I look for flights that do. US as no free snacks, Delta usually gives a choice of peanuts, pretzels, cookies.

Delta has seats in the front of coach called economy comfort that they charge extra for. They have more legroom. The cost depends on the flight length. I bought one in September, it was $59 for Orange Co CA-Atlanta.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Is this new? We just flew US Airways in November and didn't pay a seat fee.
We did get drinks but not snacks.

On a Disney cruise, a comedian was joking that Delta stands for
Don't
Expect
Luggage
To
Arrive

Old 02-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Delta definitely has seats you don't have to pay for. (marked as light grey on their seat maps). If you don't want to pay the luggage fee, you can get the American Express Delta Card. It entitles you to one free checked bag for each person in your party (up to 9 I believe), and automatically gets you Zone 2 boarding.

You do get snacks on Delta, the planes have various entertainment (some in seat video, some overhead video, some nothing). All the planes I've been on recently with Delta have had WiFi available (extra charge).

Delta does invariably end up "losing" a piece of our luggage, but they always deliver it to wherever we are staying. We always bring stuff for the first 24 hours in a carryon and "split pack" so everyone has some clothes in each piece of luggage.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post

Don't
Expect
Luggage
To
Arrive

US has a fee to sit in "choice seats" in the front. Free seats are in the back.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2

Don't
Expect
Luggage
To
Arrive

Did the comedian also point out that USAirways is also described as USScareways.

He appears to be recycling old, used jokes.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
zoo2tycoon
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info.

I did do the mock purchase as suggested. Saw that on US Airways no charge except for seats up front.

Delta same no charge except for the seats with extra room.

Thinking we might do Delta even though a little more because I like the extra room on the 4 hour legs for ATL-STT and the return portion of that trip.

Realize all airlines can lose bags---but have a choice of a 1.5 hr layover in ALT or 2.5 hour layover in ALT.....thinking the 2.5 hour is the better choice (seems anytime we have layover we have issues of plane trouble so giving the extra time might be worth it---family will complain but too bad).

Have learned the packing half in one bag...half in the other and taking stuff for a day in carry-on is route to go.

I appreciate the information!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo2tycoon View Post
Thanks for the info.

I did do the mock purchase as suggested. Saw that on US Airways no charge except for seats up front.

Delta same no charge except for the seats with extra room.

Thinking we might do Delta even though a little more because I like the extra room on the 4 hour legs for ATL-STT and the return portion of that trip.

Realize all airlines can lose bags---but have a choice of a 1.5 hr layover in ALT or 2.5 hour layover in ALT.....thinking the 2.5 hour is the better choice (seems anytime we have layover we have issues of plane trouble so giving the extra time might be worth it---family will complain but too bad).

Have learned the packing half in one bag...half in the other and taking stuff for a day in carry-on is route to go.

I appreciate the information!
1.5 is plenty in Atlanta, I connect through there all the time. The only time I had my bag delayed is when the first flight was late and they didn't get it to the second ontime, my connection was under an hour to start with. The bag was on the next flight. I was coming home, so I just waited an hour in the airport until the next flight came in. They offered to deliver it, but I just wanted to get it.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
scdak
DIS Veteran

I fly every month and have for years, I have had 2 lost bags in all that time and neither were on Delta Any airline can lose luggage, damage luggage, have bad customer service but then again, any airline can perform well too. My theory is flying is a crapshoot on any given day but I have to get where I need to go so its a chance I have to take!

OP - the extra leg room on either of the airlines that you are considering is not a great deal of space by any stretch of the imagination, a little yes but not much. As someone else said, its based on the flight itself which is why you saw a price range. The fake booking info is a great idea to give you information on what your flights will cost.

One last thought - Delta cookies are GOOD
POR Jan 2012
POFQ Oct/Nov 2012
WL / POFQ Fall 2014 - maybe sooner
SOONER IT IS - March 30-April 5 - offsite with family

October 2015 - just starting to think about it
scdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99

One thing nice about Delta is they have a luggage tracker on their website & phone app. You can type in your claim # and you'll know exactly where your bag is. I've used it while sitting on the plane waiting to leave, I can see that it was loaded and can rest easier. They have a hand held scanner that they use when the luggage is put on the belt.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
scdak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
One thing nice about Delta is they have a luggage tracker on their website & phone app. You can type in your claim # and you'll know exactly where your bag is. I've used it while sitting on the plane waiting to leave, I can see that it was loaded and can rest easier. They have a hand held scanner that they use when the luggage is put on the belt.
Thanks, I didn't know that info, might be a reason for me to get a smart phone a little sooner I am one of the few people around that doesn't have one, or that is what all the people I know try to tell me when they see me use my dinosaur flip phone, which works great and I love !!!!
POR Jan 2012
POFQ Oct/Nov 2012
WL / POFQ Fall 2014 - maybe sooner
SOONER IT IS - March 30-April 5 - offsite with family

October 2015 - just starting to think about it
scdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. Great if you see your bags were loaded but might make for a stressful flight if you see they are going somewhere other than your plane/final destination. I would suspect there isn't much you could do at that point but wait until you land.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
lillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
zoo2tycoon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
THANKS! Nice to know this!
Can see like others said where it can be a good and bad thing!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: