Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Talk me down off the ledge

Disclaimer: I am a certified nervous nelly that over-reacts and gets inappropriately anxious about the smallest things... especially when it comes to my kids.

DD (4) has been complaining about having headaches the past couple of days. Right in the center of her forehead. So naturally, I am sitting here absolutely terrified and convinced that she's got brain cancer. I'm not going to be able to sleep all night because of my worry about this & will most likely make myself look like a complete idiot when I call the pedi tomorrow and beg for an appointment ASAP and convince the doctor that she needs a CT scan just to soothe my fears.

So tell me I'm being an idiot here & worrying myself over nothing.

She's never complained of a headache before. Has been sick with a cold & ear infection the past two weeks but has been back to 100% for the last 2-3 days. Is still on Amoxicillin for another day or two. We just had her vision checked at her yearly appointment last month & it's fine. She's also been WAY more hyperactive the past couple of days (literally crawling the furniture and running through the house, which isn't in her character) and has been extremely moody/emotional. Every time she complains of a headache it's after she's taken a temper tantrum or has been crying about something.

Is the headache caused by the fits she throws or is she acting like this because of the headache? Should I really be on the phone first thing tomorrow morning?

Talk me down off the ledge here, guys.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 4/15 to get here!
NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

You said she is taking Amoxicillin. I hope this this helps you (copied from drugs,com).

Less serious side effects of amoxicillin may include:
•
stomach pain, nausea, vomiting;

•
******l itching or discharge;

•
headache; or

•
swollen, black, or "hairy" tongue.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I know 2 brain cancer survivors. One was a baby when diagnosed, he had seizures. The other a 5th grader, had vision issues. Not saying those are th only tell tale signs, but they are the ones we know.

I'm sur she is fine. But if it makes you feel better bring her in.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Scornelius
Suburban Princess
My last doctor didn't even make eye contact

I get a pain in the middle of my forehead when I'm deep in the ugly cry, which I imagine would be similar to a tantrum. Please come down off the ledge. Don't cry when you talk to the doctor.
Scornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
StephMK
DIS Veteran

My guess would be the meds, heavy crying, or possible sinus infection. Though you'd think the meds would take of that. I would not panic, I'm sure the doc will have a reasonable explanation.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Could she still have sinus pressure? Also have you had a large shift in atmospheric pressure (weather change) ? There are so many things this could be. I would really not worry. I believe with something nuerolgical they check the eyes and you said she recently, had an eye check.

Take a deep breath. I used to be that way. I relaxed as they got older and realized more often than not my kids issues were pretty normal. Hang in there!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEmomma View Post
Disclaimer: I am a certified nervous nelly that over-reacts and gets inappropriately anxious about the smallest things... especially when it comes to my kids.

DD (4) has been complaining about having headaches the past couple of days. Right in the center of her forehead. So naturally, I am sitting here absolutely terrified and convinced that she's got brain cancer. I'm not going to be able to sleep all night because of my worry about this & will most likely make myself look like a complete idiot when I call the pedi tomorrow and beg for an appointment ASAP and convince the doctor that she needs a CT scan just to soothe my fears.

So tell me I'm being an idiot here & worrying myself over nothing.

She's never complained of a headache before. Has been sick with a cold & ear infection the past two weeks but has been back to 100% for the last 2-3 days. Is still on Amoxicillin for another day or two. We just had her vision checked at her yearly appointment last month & it's fine. She's also been WAY more hyperactive the past couple of days (literally crawling the furniture and running through the house, which isn't in her character) and has been extremely moody/emotional. Every time she complains of a headache it's after she's taken a temper tantrum or has been crying about something.

Is the headache caused by the fits she throws or is she acting like this because of the headache? Should I really be on the phone first thing tomorrow morning?

Talk me down off the ledge here, guys.
I am sure she does not have brain cancer.

That being said she may have developed a sinus infection, could be a side effect of the Amox., she is dehydrated, got a tension/stress headache from throwing a fit, etc....

Have you been taking her temps? I might do a few of those morning/afternoon/evening to see if she is running a low grade temp to check for sinus infection.

Other than that hydrate and make sure she gets some more rest.

If she is extra crabby I might bring her in to see if she still has an ear infection. She might need something stronger then.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Headache after a temper tantrum...hmm...I think you found your answer.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
sookie
DIS Veteran

I get a headache when I get the ugly cry too!! But seriously - let the doctor examine her and go from there... this could be a TON of things. Just to name a couple other options to throw out there. It could be a simple headache. Another concern is that she possibly could have developed a secondary sinus infection (bacterial) that is resistant to the Amoxil during this upper respiratory infection (a viral cold). So the doc needs to see her and examine her before you ask to subject that sweet baby to a TON of radiation with an expensive CT! Seriously - look it up. It is a TON of radiation.

The symptoms of a brain tumor are pretty definitive, and his exam along with your history (he will ask you very specific questions) would lead him or her down the path of needing to do more of a workup if it is truly needed.

Get her into the doc.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
You said she is taking Amoxicillin. I hope this this helps you (copied from drugs,com).

Less serious side effects of amoxicillin may include:
•
stomach pain, nausea, vomiting;

•
******l itching or discharge;

•
headache; or

•
swollen, black, or "hairy" tongue.
Eww. I guess a headache is better than a swollen, black & hairy tongue!!

Thanks for the pep talks & dose of reality, everyone. I swear, every time this child gets sick I have a good few hours of "OMG, she's dying!" paranoia that overcomes me. Every. Single. Time.

I'm taking her younger sisters in for their 2nd flu shot on Tuesday... I'll talk to the nurse or doctor if she stops in while I'm there & if I'm still feeling paranoid, make her an appointment.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 4/15 to get here!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

You're going to drive yourself insane if you think every minor ache and pain is life threatening. Of course screaming and cry could cause a headache. So can being dehydrated, over tired and lots of other benign things.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
kaligal
DIS Veteran

A kid having a headache after throwing a temper tantrum is not cause for a concern or a CT.

I'd say, "Well, that's what you get when you act like you did." Of course, I always picked the tantrum-thrower up, dropped them in their room and told them to "Jolly well stay here until you are feeling quite yourself."

They knew not to come out sniffling, whining or complaining.

If they'd mentioned a headache, I'd have told them that's what they got when they didn't behave like themselves.

Stop the tantrums and the headaches will likely disappear.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
You're going to drive yourself insane if you think every minor ache and pain is life threatening.
Been there, done that, got the meds & a shrink to talk to every couple of weeks.

(just got off the meds when I was pregnant & haven't been able to go back to the shrink lately thanks to the demanding kiddos)

Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE="NYEmomma"Thanks for the pep talks & dose of reality, everyone. I swear, every time this child gets sick I have a good few hours of "OMG, she's dying!" paranoia that overcomes me. Every. Single. Time.[/QUOTE]

I'm the exact same way!
I'm sure your daughter is fine!

ETA: Not sure why my post is coming up all a quote. :P

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
DVCJones
DIS Veteran

Deep breaths....

First, your DD probably does NOT have brain cancer. The only kid I ever knew to have brain cancer had a history of CRUSHING headaches followed by vomiting and seizures.The poor thing was unable to function in daily life.

I would absolutely have her checked out by her pediatrician. She could have a minor infection somewhere... Nose, throat, ears, sinus...etc.

I completely understand about being a nervous nelly when it comes to my kids. I have really had to work at keeping my anxiety in check over the years. Especially since my DD did actually have cancer as a baby.

Try and relax. She more than likely going to be fine.

Last edited by DVCJones; 02-10-2013 at 08:34 PM.
DVCJones is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: