Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #31
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

I was there Saturday to Monday and also couldn't believe the crowds!! We used our fastpasses well though and didn't really wait in anything longer than 30 minutes, except for Toy Story Mania.

I couldn't believe it when I saw 150 minutes for RSR and 75 for Space. We still had a ton of fun though!

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #32
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley0139 View Post
I was there Saturday to Monday and also couldn't believe the crowds!! We used our fastpasses well though and didn't really wait in anything longer than 30 minutes, except for Toy Story Mania.

I couldn't believe it when I saw 150 minutes for RSR and 75 for Space. We still had a ton of fun though!
Don't know how much of an impact it is, but I thought I heard there was some sort of big convention in town again this week. With the current hype and popularity of Disneyland, maybe even more convention-goers are coming early to check out Disney and bringing their families too. Also, nice weather, the AP early entry offer, and fear of coming with later-in-the-season (spring break) crowds may be enough to bring out lots of locals. I doubt any of the AP holders were blocked out on Sunday or Monday during this "slow season". Some schools even had Monday as a holiday. Finally, with lots of closures and some rides perhaps not being amped up to maximum capacity, when those crowds do come, the lines will balloon since there aren't as many activities to distribute the people to.
longtimedisneylurker is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #33
DaveNinja
Mouseketeer

good: Banana Foster Beignets and Pork Baos were really good

bad: no Cristo Nuggets at the Stage Door. my quest to try the Monte Cristo was delayed to next trip
Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #34
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look_Its_Nikki View Post
The morning was perfect and a walk on for the rides.
But after 12 the lines just keep getting longer and longer.
So, what I'm hearing is that it was great until the locals showed up
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #35
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley0139

How cool was it to be able to walk where Walt walked?

[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url
sunnygal041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #36
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimedisneylurker View Post
...and fear of coming with later-in-the-season (spring break) crowds may be enough to bring out lots of locals. I doubt any of the AP holders were blocked out on Sunday or Monday during this "slow season"....
Before we blame the "locals" yet again for the crowds...
  • So Cal Select AP Holders were blocked out on Sunday. (They are blocked every Saturday and Sunday --- amongst many other dates as well.)
  • Sunday was Chinese New Year and Disney had lots of events planned celebrating it.
  • There was a HUGE medical convention in town that had specialty discounted Disneyland tickets that were valid for use starting this past weekend.
  • Lots of people had a long weekend (across the country) for Lincoln's birthday and may have planned a weekend getaway.
  • Those who live nearby are not going to rush to the Park in mid-February because of Spring Break which is still a month away.

Just a variety of reasons that I don't think the infamous "locals" are to blame,
Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #37
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
Before we blame the "locals" yet again for the crowds...
  • So Cal Select AP Holders were blocked out on Sunday. (They are blocked every Saturday and Sunday --- amongst many other dates as well.)
  • Sunday was Chinese New Year and Disney had lots of events planned celebrating it.
  • There was a HUGE medical convention in town that had specialty discounted Disneyland tickets that were valid for use starting this past weekend.
  • Lots of people had a long weekend (across the country) for Lincoln's birthday and may have planned a weekend getaway.
  • Those who live nearby are not going to rush to the Park in mid-February because of Spring Break which is still a month away.

Just a variety of reasons that I don't think the infamous "locals" are to blame,
Dreams
I'm not a person who has a problem with the locals or with navigating the parks when they are busy. The part of my post you quoted was part of a list of reasons I put forth for why the parks may have felt busy. If you had read/quoted the whole post, you would also see mention of the convention, the holiday, the weather, and ride closures as contributing factors. Guess I should have remembered about the special events going on at the park too like Lunar New Year and the end of the Mardi Gras stuff so my list would have been even more complete.

BTW, I certainly realize that not all AP holders are locals either. My mother-in-law lives a 6 hour drive away and was there Monday and Tuesday with her AP to visit the parks before the busy spring break season hit. My family lives a 7 hour drive away and we have APs too. We just choose to go during the busy times so the kids don't miss school. I do think it's easier for the locals to show up on short-notice though if park-going conditions seem good. I can look out the window and say, wow, it's great weather, I wish I could head over to Disneyland for a couple of hours, but it's not practical for me to follow through on that. If I was more local to the park, it would be a realistic option though, and I would certainly go even more often than I do.

Last edited by longtimedisneylurker; 02-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #38
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

Time off for kids from school due to President's Day holiday is a definite possibility. Coming up at the end of next week, all of the Tucson, AZ area schools have Thurs 2/21 and Fri 2/22 off for Rodeo Days, so ya'll might see a lot of Arizona license plates on those days.

But hey...a busy day at Disneyland is better than a day at home working! Hope everybody's having a fabulous time!
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #39
todzwife
There's nothing worse than walking around with a wet butt

So schools had LAST Monday off instead of this coming Monday which is actually the holiday? Man. It sounds like the days of slow February are gone too.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #40
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
good: Banana Foster Beignets and Pork Baos were really good

bad: no Cristo Nuggets at the Stage Door. my quest to try the Monte Cristo was delayed to next trip
Wait, what?? As in Monte Cristo nuggets? This is the first I've heard of this. Please tell me more!

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip)) Quick one-day DL only trip with my 9 month-old and friends - 9/11/14!!
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #41
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by todzwife View Post
So schools had LAST Monday off instead of this coming Monday which is actually the holiday? Man. It sounds like the days of slow February are gone too.
As an example, our school in northern California had this past Monday and will have this coming Monday off. The district my sister's kids go to does the holiday the same. The district my mom works for though is giving all of next week off, but last Monday was not a holiday for them.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #42
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina View Post
Wait, what?? As in Monte Cristo nuggets? This is the first I've heard of this. Please tell me more!
These are a new food item. I believe they first appeared during this past holiday season. They were featured at a food cart back in the area in Frontierland where the Billies have been playing. Did it used to be the Festival arena or something like that? It's that area of Frontierland back behind the barbecue and the petting zoo and cabin area. Anyway, after the holidays, the nuggets apparently reappeared at the Golden Horseshoe when the Golden Horseshoe Review had its limited run. When that show ended, I guess the nuggets went with them. Maybe they will show up again for another event if they have been well received.

ETA: I see the next poster says the nuggets were at the Stagedoor Cafe which is attached to the Golden Horseshoe, so I stand corrected. I do believe I read though that the former menu has returned now that the show is over. Funnel cakes have returned. Monte Cristo nuggets are gone again.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #43
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina View Post
Absolutely the very best.

Served at the Stagedoor Cafe. 3 nuggets in an order served with regular fries or apple slices and the raspberry sauce. Each nuggest is about half the size of a half sandwich. Perfect size for one person and much faster than Cafe Orleans.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #44
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

Oh my. PLEASE let these be there in 2 weeks...

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip)) Quick one-day DL only trip with my 9 month-old and friends - 9/11/14!!
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #45
todzwife
There's nothing worse than walking around with a wet butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimedisneylurker View Post
As an example, our school in northern California had this past Monday and will have this coming Monday off. The district my sister's kids go to does the holiday the same. The district my mom works for though is giving all of next week off, but last Monday was not a holiday for them.
My kids ONLY have Monday 2/18 off...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: