Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

*Embarrassed* So ummm, anyone ever cry saying goodbye to a car?

We've had my Pepe since 2000. She was a beautiful silver Civic, my first new car. We were SO young and broke when we bought her. She's carried us through our wedding, five moves (3 cities), to a million good memories, and some really sad ones. She never once left us stranded away from home. Never even needed a real repair for ten years. But here I was, older 30's, driving a teeny-tiny car with no ABS, only front air bags, that just kept having things go wrong.

I feel like I took my sweet girl out behind the barn and shot her because she was lame!

We traded her in for a pretty new CRV, but as we handed over the keys to Pepe, I teared up. And as they drove her away, I wept openly.

The salesman looked veeeeery uncomfortable. I squeaked out, "I really am happy about the new car." DH just explained, "She's pregnant." Little liar. Because I know for a fact he teared up too. He was just better at hiding it

I just want to know: am I the only crazy person who cries over inanimate objects?
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
CindysGusGus
Secretly has the hots for the old guy in the Six Flags commericals

Location: In a support group with all the fellow RAD (Resort Anxiety Disorder)members

You are not alone...I have a 96 eclipse in my driveway that has not been driven in 2 years..needs new tires and yet another engine..needs paint badly....I cannot let her go just yet.
Wilderness Lodge-2/2003
Animal Kingdom Lodge-10/2003, 5/2004
AKL/CSR-10/2004
POFQ-2/5, POR-3/5, CSR 7/5, POFQ 2/6, POFQ 9/6, CSR 10/06, WL 01/07, WL 7/07, POFQ 5/08
CindysGusGus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

There's nothing wrong with that! I sold my favorite car to my brother at one point, so I had "visitation rights" for enough time to get through it.

When DS20 was maybe 4 or 5, we traded our first mini-van in for a new one. He was with us when we picked the new one up and left the old one at the dealership. I don't know what his little mind really understood about the whole thing, but when we were driving home, enjoying the new (and much upgraded) mini-van, I looked back and he was quietly crying -- he hadn't quite realized that we were leaving the old car there, and was very sad about it.

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
lorimay
DIS Veteran

OMG!!!
No you are not!!!

We traded in my Volvo XC90 for a new XC60 in October.
I loved that car, it was my first "Dream" car, I longed to own one for a few years and when my husband bought it for me I was thrilled.

We decided to look and ended up buying all in the same night. So I had to drive home to get the title for the trade in and I actually shed a few tears on the way.

I never said anything to my husband about it because he would have thought I lost my marbles. This is the first I am talking about it. LOL

I took about 10 pictures of the car before we left.
They ended up selling it on the lot because it was in good shape. I am still curious as to who was lucky enough to be the new owner!!!
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Tink888
Wishing I Was At World Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by branv View Post
We've had my Pepe since 2000. She was a beautiful silver Civic, my first new car. We were SO young and broke when we bought her. She's carried us through our wedding, five moves (3 cities), to a million good memories, and some really sad ones. She never once left us stranded away from home. Never even needed a real repair for ten years. But here I was, older 30's, driving a teeny-tiny car with no ABS, only front air bags, that just kept having things go wrong.

I feel like I took my sweet girl out behind the barn and shot her because she was lame!

We traded her in for a pretty new CRV, but as we handed over the keys to Pepe, I teared up. And as they drove her away, I wept openly.

The salesman looked veeeeery uncomfortable. I squeaked out, "I really am happy about the new car." DH just explained, "She's pregnant." Little liar. Because I know for a fact he teared up too. He was just better at hiding it

I just want to know: am I the only crazy person who cries over inanimate objects?
Nope. I was sad when we got rid of our mini-van this past summer. My kids grew up with that van and it was a great vehicle. Lots of memories tied up with it. I took a picture of it at the dealership before we left.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

Nope you are not the only one. In 2010 when I traded my 2002 Billy Blazer for my Equinox as Billy was just needing repair after repair, I cried in the dealers parking lot for 5 minutes before composing myself. I still miss that car everyday.
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!

I cried when we sold our ancient pop up camper. We bought it from my parents (it's the camper I grew up traveling in), but it got to the point where it needed more work than we could do ourselves. I miss it!

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
trip
family trip planner

Nope. We keep our cars so long we are just happy they are willing take them away!
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

You are not alone. I have a good friend who is 62 years old. Her first car was a yellow VW Beetle. She named it "Buttercup". She had that car until it just couldn't drive another mile. I want to say 20 years at least. She cried like a baby when she had to finally let it go and buy another car, which was a yellow VW Bug. Of course, she had no attachment to the new car, nor has she cared one bit about any car she has had since Buttercup. She says she doesn't care what she drives because there is no other than Buttercup. Quite honestly, I don't get it, but you are definitely not the only one!
antmaril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I know how you feel. I felt that way about my '03 Jeep Liberty. I teared up when I sold her. She was my first "dream car" (I got all the upgrades), the first car I kept long after paying it off, and had been through so much with me. When I lost my job I remembered thinking if things got too bad I would always have Jezebel the Jeep because she was paid for and they couldn't take that from me. I only got rid of her because the transmission was going bad and it was out of warranty. I still miss that Jeep every day. The car I drove in her place didn't stay with me very long before I went back to an SUV. I would have gotten another Jeep, but they don't have one that has the features I want AND good fuel economy. Hopefully since my new SUV will be the one we bring our child home from the hospital in, I will form an attachment with it as well so I keep it until the wheels fall off.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
DISshopkeeper
Had 3 topplings over the years
I'm always on the lookout for Goofy stuff for the DISshop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
There's nothing wrong with that! I sold my favorite car to my brother at one point, so I had "visitation rights" for enough time to get through it.

When DS20 was maybe 4 or 5, we traded our first mini-van in for a new one. He was with us when we picked the new one up and left the old one at the dealership. I don't know what his little mind really understood about the whole thing, but when we were driving home, enjoying the new (and much upgraded) mini-van, I looked back and he was quietly crying -- he hadn't quite realized that we were leaving the old car there, and was very sad about it.
that's adorable!!!

I was sad to give up a Toyota pickup years ago. Still my favorite car ever.
DISshopkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
ilovepcot
Caused the first ever Tag Fairy thread edit for being naughty
Should be publicly Dole Whipped
Makes a scrumptious pot roast
Don't stick it out if you don't want to lose it

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmaril View Post
You are not alone. I have a good friend who is 62 years old. Her first car was a yellow VW Beetle. She named it "Buttercup". She had that car until it just couldn't drive another mile. I want to say 20 years at least. She cried like a baby when she had to finally let it go and buy another car, which was a yellow VW Bug. Of course, she had no attachment to the new car, nor has she cared one bit about any car she has had since Buttercup. She says she doesn't care what she drives because there is no other than Buttercup. Quite honestly, I don't get it, but you are definitely not the only one!
Awww...this made me tear up! Mine was named Tweety and she had a sunroof. Lots of fun to drive. DH sold her to a co-worker who turned Tweety into a dune buggy.
ilovepcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

I did when we gave up our Ford Expedition. He was a good car. We had him for years. Even named him Mikey. That's really what we called him.

ETA: I see we're not the only ones naming our cars!

Me DM DF DSis DB

Last edited by LongLiveDisney; 02-10-2013 at 11:42 AM.
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

I cried a bit when we traded in our Saturn for our first mini-van.

Her name was Junebug, & she was my very first totally new car. I even got to choose the color & all the finishes. When I first got her, the only miles she had were the miles from the factory to the dealership.

As a young married couple, we went everywhere in that little car - road trips, Sunday drives, vacations, all over our state for DH's younger brother's high school soccer games. And, then, later we brought our 1st 2 babies home from the hospital in her, so, for a little while, there were 2 carseats in the backseat.

After Junebug, we had a white Chevrolet mini-van which I never really liked, so I never named it.

Our current mini-van, though, is named Chantilly, & her big sister is the gold monorail at Disney World.

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 5 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

A close family friend gave DS his truck when he passed away. It sat in my yard for 2 years, after it stopped running. DS finally sold it for parts. We both got a bit teary eyed.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: