Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #31
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
http://www.www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2999874 check the kcashner's pics on post #14
Your comparing the Magics, minor top of the stack insilation smoke/melt down, to be the same as the many MAJOR fires Carnivail Inc vessels have had?

You may as well add the minor fireworks spark/fire, and its being generous to call it a fire, in Palos as well!

please........

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #32
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper

I repeat, after years at sea, I will not permit my family and friends to sail Carnivail, now more then ever due to many MAJOR incidents and safety issues.

AKK
How can YOU not permit your friends from traveling with Carnival? Do they ask your permission before booking?
ZoeBell is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #33
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
And your point is???.... so do you feel that Disney is immune to a mechanical break down???

Certainly any cruise ship can breakdown. But I have always been impressed with Disney's focus on maintenance. This actually goes back to Walt Disney himself with the "paint Main Street every night" ideal. He wanted guest who came to Disneland to see a well maintained, like-new apprearance. I can't really vouch that this philosophy has spilled over into the engine room but don't know that it hasn't.

I don't know who keeps records of major incidents on cruise ships but I'm sure someone does. Just like some airlines are more prone to delays due to airplan issues that track back to maintenance, I think some cruise lines might be more prone to breaddown.

I think too Carnical is has many more ships than DCL so the chances for failure is greater. The flip side of that is, DCL only has 4 ships to maintain and that is easier than maintaining a large fleet of ships.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #34
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999
 
cwdefouw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 722

Regardless of the fact that Carnival seems to be having a lot of headline making problems over the past several years. This sort of incident can happen on any ship, of any age, from any cruise line, at any time. As PP mentioned, because of the much larger fleet, statistically it is more likely to happen on Carnival than Disney, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't happen just because it is "Disney"
__________________

cwdefouw is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #35
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.
 
EPCOTatNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
Yes, just another reason to have a passport - I couldn't imagine having to deal with all this and then needing to expedite passports for the family. When my friend was on either NCL or RCCL (I can't remember now) they caught on fire and gave them a free cruise, which they did take the following year. When my DW was on the NCL Dawn and they hit a rogue wave, they were towed into a port in SC, I think, and they gave everyone free drinks lol.



I would assume there will be some issues with getting a passport, even if it just waiting and filling out paperwork and fees. The US gov't isn't going to just say, ok, here's few hundred passports for free with no stress involved. And fires break out on all cruise lines. You will always get someone smuggling on candles or an iron. I know this one was in the engine room, but accidents can and will happen on all cruise lines, same as airlines - to assume one is immune to any problems is to be unprepared. Google cruise ship fires...you will be amazed at how many "small fires" never even make the news.
A small cruise ship fire isn't the issue. It's being stranded as a result of the fire that concerns people. And Carnival has had this happen twice in the last 3 years amongst other things. There are diehard Carnival fans that have had enough and won't return because of incidents like these, the large number of overboard passengers and crew, and just overall decline in ship upkeep.
__________________
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)





EPCOTatNight is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #36
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran
 
momto3gr8boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 2,170

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
A small cruise ship fire isn't the issue. It's being stranded as a result of the fire that concerns people. And Carnival has had this happen twice in the last 3 years amongst other things. There are diehard Carnival fans that have had enough and won't return because of incidents like these, the large number of overboard passengers and crew, and just overall decline in ship upkeep.
Yes, you are correct in that it's an apples and oranges comparison. Personally, I have cruised DCL, Princess and RCCL, and have always purposefully avoided Carnival because of the reputation. But my point was more that people tend to blindly go with a company like Disney assuming nothing bad can ever happen, and therefore don't need to be prepared with passports and trip insurance, etc. when in reality, bad things can happen anytime, anywhere.
__________________
Christine DWDS(18) DS(16)DS(13)Picasso








*******************************************
momto3gr8boys is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #37
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys
 
nunzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
Maybe it's time to require passports for cruise travel. While I think it's a good idea to have one while cruising. I can't blame folks for not having one when it isn't required.
I'm confused..I thought it was required if you were planning to visit a foriegn port?
__________________
nunzia is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #38
manhattanman
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
They're $135. And why do you care if someone has a passport or not? How does it affect you? Are people dying because they don't have passports? Lives ruined? Less than 0.01 percent of all travelers will be affected in any way because of lack of a passport. If we're dealing with "ifs", then why cruise at all? What if the ship sinks? More people have been on a sinking ship than stranded due to passport issues. That would seem like a bigger concern. I don't understand why all these people care so much or why their "concern" comes with so much judgement.
If you travel outside of the shores of the US without a passport and ( even if it is not your fault) get in a pickle, it makes no difference to me. But to say that because you'll could does not mean you should. Traveling with passports provides something that a drivers license and BC does not, if you think its an unnecessary hassle or expense, that's up to you. Its not judge mental to say that trying to get back into the country, even if the likelihood is rare, is going to be a hassle, its a fact. People do things all the time that I would not, that's their choice. As long as they are willing to deal with the consequences ( however remote) and not ask, or demand that the consequences ought to be mitigated by someone else, then its on them.
manhattanman is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #39
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.
 
EPCOTatNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
Regardless of the fact that Carnival seems to be having a lot of headline making problems over the past several years. This sort of incident can happen on any ship, of any age, from any cruise line, at any time. As PP mentioned, because of the much larger fleet, statistically it is more likely to happen on Carnival than Disney, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't happen just because it is "Disney"
Aything "CAN" happen, but whats the probability? More people visit Disney theme parks than any other in the world, yet they have an impeccable safety record despite being "larger". Why? Because they atually care. So, being "Disney" actually does mean something. Put Disney aside for a moment. How often does it happen on RCI? Norweigian, etc...? You're on a Disney site, so people are biased. But it's not just Disney fans that feel this way. As a PP suggested, read the comments on a news story.
__________________
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)





EPCOTatNight is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #40
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.
 
EPCOTatNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanman View Post
If you travel outside of the shores of the US without a passport and ( even if it is not your fault) get in a pickle, it makes no difference to me. But to say that because you'll could does not mean you should. Traveling with passports provides something that a drivers license and BC does not, if you think its an unnecessary hassle or expense, that's up to you. Its not judge mental to say that trying to get back into the country, even if the likelihood is rare, is going to be a hassle, its a fact. People do things all the time that I would not, that's their choice. As long as they are willing to deal with the consequences ( however remote) and not ask, or demand that the consequences ought to be mitigated by someone else, then its on them.
Did someone say anything about people "demanding" that consequences be mitigated? Calling something a hassle is an opinion, not a fact. For some people, shopping for groceries is a hassle; not for me though. Condemning someone for making a decision different from yours is judgemental and that happens around here a lot.
__________________
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)





EPCOTatNight is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #41
Jestocost
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kirkwood, MO
Posts: 6,946

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
I'm confused..I thought it was required if you were planning to visit a foriegn port?
Passports are not required by the U.S. for passengers on closed-loop cruises that start end end at the same U.S. port, and the usual Caribbean cruise ports do not require passports from cruise passengers. A passport would be required for cruises that are not closed-loop itineraries, cruises that sail out of a non-U.S. port and any cruises with stops in countries that do require a passport for entry.
__________________
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL



Jestocost is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #42
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran
 
DMMarla07860's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Andover, nj
Posts: 6,072

Didn't the same thing happen to another carnival ship in like 2010 or 2011?
__________________
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #43
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
How can YOU not permit your friends from traveling with Carnival? Do they ask your permission before booking?

I have given them my opinion.and I guess they respect it, becuase none of them have sailed Carnival again.........Thank GOD!

I suggest DCL and RCL.

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 02-11-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Tonka's Skipper is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #44
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
They add asked my opinion.and I guess they respect it, becuase none of them have sailed Carnival again.........Thank GOD!

I suggest DCL and RCL.

AKK


Kinda like drinking and driving....."Friends don't let friends sail on Carnival." ?

:-)
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #45
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMarla07860 View Post
Didn't the same thing happen to another carnival ship in like 2010 or 2011?
Good Day,

The Carnival Spendour had a major fire off the MR., poorly handled per the inverstigation.........towed to San deiago, I think 5 days.

The Costa Allergo. owned by Carnival Inc, had another Major fire.........vessel being scrapped.

The QMII, owned by Canivail and a very similiar electrical system had a Major Fire, but due to the better trained crew the fire was contained.

The Carnival Extacy........aft

Those fires off the top of my head.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.