Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #16
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Talk about guardian angels. My grandmother and cousin just got off that boat on Thursday. I am so happy they aren't on it while this is going on because my grandmother is on so many medications and she typically only caries an extra day or two. I'm going to start warning her to carry an extra weeks worth just in case. Also I'm not sure if they have passports or not.

My hearts go out to the families and everyone on board. I know no one was hurt but still being stranded on a boat can't be fun. Especially when many of these people probably have jobs and school they should be back to but now will be late.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #17
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
Just reinforces that it pays to sail on Disney! So glad everyone on board is okay.
And your point is???.... so do you feel that Disney is immune to a mechanical break down???

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #18
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
And your point is???.... so do you feel that Disney is immune to a mechanical break down???
http://www.www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2999874 check the kcashner's pics on post #14
Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #19
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Carnival Ship on Fire/Adrift in the Gulf of Mexico

Ship to be towed, but not until Wed.
Checkout this article:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/11/travel...html?hpt=hp_t4
Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #20
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3062620

Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #21
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Little scary but sounds like other than not moving much, everyone should be able to enjoy the ship. Does look like they'll be well compensated for the inconvenience. I do feel sorry for those that planned their vacation around the next two cruises that won't happen.
Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #22
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Interesting to read the reader comments on the yahoo news cite.

http://news.yahoo.com/carnival-cruis...--finance.html

I know the comments here are mostly fom experience cruisers but they are also 'moderated'. Kinda fun to read comments from a broader audience. You can see some Carnival stereotypes that Carnival just can't seem to shake.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #23
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan

And they will take you through a hurricane.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #24
tajz90
Mama D

I must say I'd rather be on a Disney ship, but all cruise lines are open to mechanical failure, fire and emergency situations.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #25
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

We've been on 8 Carnival cruises, and the last one was a year ago. Until now, we've booked itinerary, not a particular cruise line. DH just made the comment that he does not see a Carnival Cruse in our future, and I think he is right.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #26
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
http://www.www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2999874 check the kcashner's pics on post #14
That says something about Disney if the incident is ten years old. Anything happen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg4crzn View Post
And they will take you through a hurricane.
Because the ships actually work.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (7/2014 AKV) (2/2015 AKL/5 night Wonder*Miami*) (1/2015 AKV/BLT)

Last edited by EPCOTatNight; 02-11-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #27
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

These problems just keep happening, over and over and over again

Thank God everyone is ok and they are towing her to the closest port.

These probems wit Carnivial line and Carnivail Inc just seem to continue and continue, over and over.

Last week it was the Destiny with mechcanical issues. The Trumph had mechcanical problems leaving Galveston and now a fire.

IMHO and many of those in the Maritime insdustry, see a patten here and not a good one.

Seems we should be asking why Carnival can offer bargin basement cruises?

Bescuase they dont seem to be putting money into their vessels operation and maintiance. If you read the carnivail bogs, alot of the passingers are seeing their perks and services being reducing/illiminated.

I repeat, after years at sea, I will not permit my family and friends to sail Carnivail, now more then ever due to many MAJOR incidents and safety issues.

AKK
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #28
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post

The point is unlike Diseny and the other major lines, they don't keep having MAJOR fires, sinkings and mechanical breakdowns, over and voer and over again.

AKK
Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #29
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Maybe it's time to require passports for cruise travel. While I think it's a good idea to have one while cruising. I can't blame folks for not having one when it isn't required.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #30
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb2002 View Post
The latest is they are going to tow them to Progresso Mexico, but won't reach there until Wednesday. the next 2 cruises have been cancelled. Another Carnival ship is there giving them food and supplies. They have an emergency number set up for family members. I wonder how they are going to handle the passengers without passports. They are refunding their cruise fare and I can't remember what other compensation they are giving them.
Yes, just another reason to have a passport - I couldn't imagine having to deal with all this and then needing to expedite passports for the family. When my friend was on either NCL or RCCL (I can't remember now) they caught on fire and gave them a free cruise, which they did take the following year. When my DW was on the NCL Dawn and they hit a rogue wave, they were towed into a port in SC, I think, and they gave everyone free drinks lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
This is one of the reasons that I don't cruise on Carnival. And that's with 2 ships each week leaving from less than a mile away from my house. They pass so close by that I can watch them from my living room, yet I have no desire to book one. P.S. I seriously doubt those traveling without passports will have any additional issues. Carnival has 2 days to coordinate with Progresso to get everyone situated with their travel home. You'd probably have more issues if you were the only one disembarking, but not so much with a couple thousand other people. Extenuating circumstances and the sheer number of people will promote a heightened level of sensitivity to those traveling without a passport. They'll be fine.
I would assume there will be some issues with getting a passport, even if it just waiting and filling out paperwork and fees. The US gov't isn't going to just say, ok, here's few hundred passports for free with no stress involved. And fires break out on all cruise lines. You will always get someone smuggling on candles or an iron. I know this one was in the engine room, but accidents can and will happen on all cruise lines, same as airlines - to assume one is immune to any problems is to be unprepared. Google cruise ship fires...you will be amazed at how many "small fires" never even make the news.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: