Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Jaylens Papa
Jaylens Papa

Who Have You Seen?

When I started doing DL back in the mid 60's they would have rock bands in the evenings.
Do you remember?
Some of the ones I've seen are,
Gary Pucket and the Union Gap, Watt's 103rd St Rythem Band, The Hues Corporation, The Miracles ( without Smokey) Jeanie C Riley, Bobby Gentry and a California favorite, Papa Do Run Run.
You youngens please don't laugh at my music.
They had the Tommorow Land stage, Carnation Plaza Stage and an outdoor stage where Captain EO is.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylens Papa View Post
When I started doing DL back in the mid 60's they would have rock bands in the evenings.
Do you remember?
Gary Pucket and the Union Gap, Watt's 103rd St Rythem Band, The Hues Corporation, The Miracles ( without Smokey) Jeanie C Riley, Bobby Gentry and a California favorite, Papa Do Run Run.
They had the Tommorow Land stage, Carnation Plaza Stage and an outdoor stage where Captain EO is.
I remember the bands,but, I would not call them rock, maybe gentle rock LOL. Note** I started in 55, but can't drive it.

Jack

Last edited by blackjackdelta; 02-13-2013 at 01:51 PM.
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
jenpace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylens Papa View Post
Do you remember?
Okay, this won't compare to any of the bands in your list but sometime in the mid-80's I was walking past the Tomorrowland stage right as it was coming up and Tiffany started singing. Badly.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
bcla
DIS Veteran

I was at DL for this weekend:

http://meettheworldinprogressland.bl...3-24-1984.html

bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
lulugirl1968
Earning My Ears

The Spinners-was in the mid/late 80's. They sang all of their hits. Mickey joined them on stage for Rubberband Man. They all had huge rubber bands that they were dancing with!

In 1987, I was able to join my cousin for her Grad Night there. The bands that I remember playing were....
Wang Chung
Bobby Brown
Glass Tiger
Ready for the World.

Do bands/singers still preform on Grad Nights?

Last edited by lulugirl1968; 02-13-2013 at 04:19 PM.
lulugirl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Congo Queen
DLand Devotee Since 1966

In the 1970s I saw Up with People at the old stage that used to be in a sort of amphitheater below Space Mountain. And yes I saw Papa Do Run Run too. I was there dancing to them every chance I got. My high school friends and I would drive over to Dland on a Friday or Saturday night specifically to dance. We were all girls, but they had this stupid policy back then (in the early 80s) that you could not dance with someone of the same sex. We weren't slow dancing or anything but you still could not even rock and roll dance with someone of same sex. Security would come out on the dance floor and tell us to stop. So that meant that we girls had to find guys to dance with us. Sometimes there were nice guys to dance with but sometimes there were only weirdos or old guys hanging around. I always thought it was unfortunate that Dland security at that time preferred we dance with strangers than the friends we knew.
Congo Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulugirl1968 View Post
The Spinners-was in the mid/late 80's. They sang all of their hits. Mickey joined them on stage for Rubberband Man. They all had huge rubber bands that they were dancing with!

In 1987, I was able to join my cousin for her Grad Night there. The bands that I remember playing were....
Wang Chung
Bobby Brown
Glass Tiger
Ready for the World.

Do bands/singers still preform on Grad Nights?
My cousin told me about that one. I went the next year when we had Expose, Roger, and (I kid you not) Michael Bolton. I think they had a bunch of these that year (as with every year) and the lineups varied depending on the day.

Of course I already saw Bobby Brown at Disneyland back in 1984 when he was still in New Edition. Well - "see" may be stretch as we were in the back of the theater and standing room in the back was about five deep.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
FantasyIsland
Earning My Ears

I remember!

Those were the good old days! I used to go out with a couple members of Papa Doo Run Run whenever they were in town! I saw them play again at Disneyland a couple years ago.... and I did stop to say Hi!
FantasyIsland is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: