Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 04:03 AM   #76
EllaM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyMomma View Post
I love all the negative people.

I made some changes to my plans tonight, sticking with my original color ideas but altering the shades, and changing some details. Also, found a new backsplash I like better.
There ya go. As vents go, I can't really understand yours. My cousin does a lot of home remodeling so my family is always getting ideas off each other. Sometimes it is a matter of learning what NOT to do.

But I gather from your later posts this is just a symptom rather than the whole problem. Good luck with it.
EllaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #77
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Shortly after we were married (27 years ago), we got new living room furniture.

When my MIL saw it, she said that she loved it. She asked if I would mind if she got the same set with the same fabric choice. To me, I took that as a compliment.

About 15 years later, we got new family room furniture. MIL went out about a week later and bought the exact same reclining couches but choose a different fabric.

MIL passed away a few years ago. My FIL recently replaced the couches and joked if we were going to replace ours with and buy the ones that he just got.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #78
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Quote:
I made some changes to my plans tonight, sticking with my original color ideas but altering the shades, and changing some details. Also, found a new backsplash I like better.
Great!!! I knew it!!!
I am the one who mentioned that you should take the silver lining, keep looking, and will probably find something just so much better!!!

And, I didn't post this earlier, as it is kind of a negative...
But, next time something like this comes up... Be sure to tell MIL that you have picked out some horrid something-or-another. Like, it's just all the rage!!!
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #79
2binak
DVC Owner

When we built our first house, we couldn't find a layout in the builder's portfolio that we liked so DH & I created our own design. Months later another couple was building a house one street over and was having the same problem so the builder brought them look at to our house. They chose the same layout, wall colors, kitchen & bathroom cabinets and even the same light fixtures, including the one over the dining room table. Dh & I took it as a compliment.

Glad you were able to change your design a bit OP

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT, 11/14 BWV
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #80
deserrai
DIS Veteran

She probably has my sense of creativity...nonexistent. She must have liked what you were doing.

deserrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #81
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserrai View Post
She probably has my sense of creativity...nonexistent. She must have liked what you were doing.
This makes me laugh! I think that is partly why it made me upset at first... I am not decisive any anyway, and I had finally nailed it down and then POOF, she used it.

Lesson learned - won't be telling her anything anymore. Hubby even said it last night! I decided to do a chalkboard space near the pantry and was excited about it, hubby was like "Don't tell my mother!!" LOL - not that I would care if she did one too, but just Thanks again to those of you who get it, or who don't, but were still nice.

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #82
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Quote:
Hubby even said it last night! I decided to do a chalkboard space near the pantry and was excited about it, hubby was like "Don't tell my mother!!"
OMG!!! Your DH is a keeper!!!!
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #83
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star View Post
OMG!!! Your DH is a keeper!!!!
He is! I'm a very lucky girl!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #84
honeydiane1953
DIS Veteran

Even though a bit disturbing your MIL knows you have good taste. After all you married her son.
honeydiane1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #85
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear you had a house fire I can't imagine anyone doing that with the house color.. that's ! I am sure we will joke about this someday, I'm already way closer to that then I was yesterday!
You will be able to joke about it, eventually. Now I just roll my eyes as I drive past the other 2 houses that look just like mine, 1 is even the same floor plan. LOL We always tell people who are coming over for the first time that we picked the colors first, it makes for a fun story to tell. lol I'm glad it worked out for you and glad you found a different backsplash, enjoy your new kitchen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznygirl View Post
Frequently these types of services will canvas the neighborhood to see if any of the neighbors want to paint/upgrade/etc, and even offer a discount. And that is how they can get the exact color as well.

I know people hate HOA's, but our HOA does not allow the same colors near each other - trying to keep it unique.
No, it wasn't a service, it was painted by the painters the contractors had on staff. No one canvassed the neighborhood. Remember, we had a fire, there wasn't a company going around offering to paint houses, that would be different. The paint scheme was featured in a pamphlet at HD, they could have simply asked the contractors for the colors or just taken photos in, it was a unique color scheme so it would have been pretty easy to identify.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #86
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I'm sorry you are annoyed by it OP.

I am another one in the camp of not seeing it as an issue at all. Even if I really disliked someone, I just can't imagine that I would care in the least if they had the same kitchen as I did or not

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #87
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
I'm sorry you are annoyed by it OP.

I am another one in the camp of not seeing it as an issue at all. Even if I really disliked someone, I just can't imagine that I would care in the least if they had the same kitchen as I did or not
Thank you. I guess I am of the opinion that if you don't see why I am annoyed, then why are you posting about it? Obviously it was something that bothered me at the time... how is everyone with the "who cares" attitude helping me? Sorry, not attacking you, but I see plenty of posts I don't agree with, and I don't post "who cares" or - I just move on.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #88
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

I get your frustration. My in-laws are similar...or used to be. My SIL used to copy a lot of my ideas. The worst one ever, and the one that decided the future of our relationship, was when she named her daughter what I had told her I was going to name my daughter. Yeah, we don't talk to much these days. I learned that if it's important enough to me that I would be upset if someone uses my idea, then it's important enough to keep it to myself.

On the bright side and since you've changed your plans about some things, you can tell her that after thinking about it a while, you've realized those color combos aren't really that nice looking. Reaffirm this after she has them installed.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #89
QVCshopper
DIS Veteran

At first, reading this thread, I was like, you're right, who does that. But, then I remembered my MIL and how she now wants a Pandora bracelet (I got one for Christmas), she got a Beta fish (just like the one we bought for my son), she bought our same car (I guess that could be just a coincidence). I could go on and on I'm sure if I think about it long enough...
QVCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #90
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Thank you. I guess I am of the opinion that if you don't see why I am annoyed, then why are you posting about it? Obviously it was something that bothered me at the time... how is everyone with the "who cares" attitude helping me? Sorry, not attacking you, but I see plenty of posts I don't agree with, and I don't post "who cares" or - I just move on.
Well, mostly because when you started a thread about it, you opened it up to discussion and I found it interesting (and surprising) that anyone would even think to be upset about this and felt like commenting.

Besides, perhaps if you see that there are several people who would never think to see this as any kind of an issue, it might help you. Maybe your mother in law was not trying to "steal" anything and never thought about it possibly being upsetting in any way because it is as much a non issue to her as it is to me and a few other posters on the thread. Seeing other perspectives can often help smooth rocky relationships, you know?

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: