Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

So is anyone giving up any vices or doing something special...

From tomorrow until Easter morning?? (trying to be as non-religious as I can get - really j/k)

I have been thinking really hard on this. We ask our children to do something special as in offer to do work for free etc, stop a bad habit, etc instead of giving up a certain food.

I have decided to exercise every single day without complaining. This works for me since we are driving down to Florida and will be near Disney. If we happen to get a day there I would be miserable if I had to abstain.

I have also picked a number of sugar grams and carbs per day that I will monitor. I plan on banking some for our trip.

I figure after around 40 days of this lifestyle maybe it will become habit.

Anyone else??
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Nolcrest
DIS Veteran

I'm giving up Facebook as I spend too much wasted time on it. In it's absence I hope to crochet more prayer shawls, learn to sew, read more and just get more involved in "life" instead of social media. I just may find myself exercising more too.

Thankfully I don't have a smartphone so I won't have the temptation all day long to FB. I am really looking forward to unplugging from some technology for awhile and hopefully spending more time w/some inner reflection & thankfulness.
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
hidmickey:myantidrug
DIS Veteran

Like I have for the past five or so years, I'm giving up being a potty mouth. It's bad that I swear so much that it makes for a legitimate thing to give up for Lent, but it is what it is.
hidmickey:myantidrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Tinker'n'Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolcrest View Post
I'm giving up Facebook as I spend too much wasted time on it. In it's absence I hope to crochet more prayer shawls, learn to sew, read more and just get more involved in "life" instead of social media. I just may find myself exercising more too.

Thankfully I don't have a smartphone so I won't have the temptation all day long to FB. I am really looking forward to unplugging from some technology for awhile and hopefully spending more time w/some inner reflection & thankfulness.
This would be way too hard for me. I am disabled and FB and here are my interaction with the world. My friends have dwindled since I really can't go out too much. I think what you are doing is great though.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Tinker'n'Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidmickey:myantidrug View Post
Like I have for the past five or so years, I'm giving up being a potty mouth. It's bad that I swear so much that it makes for a legitimate thing to give up for Lent, but it is what it is.
I used to work for a Moving Company and with the truck drivers I was the same way. Since I am not around them anymore my potty mouth has almost disappeared. It actually scares the kid when it comes out... They are like this guy.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
EMHDad
DIS Veteran

I am giving up food 1 day a week for the next 6 weeks.

Basically, I am going to spend my time fasting trying to work on my relationship with Christ, in prayers, studying and so forth. Excited for Lent to be here.

Check it out. Leave A Comment. Hope it helps you to have a Magical Day!

*7/2009 - Offsite 7 Day Disney Vacation: First Family Disney Vacation (DS3yo, DW 8 months pregnant)
*9/2010 - Offsite 3 Day Disney Vacation (DS4yo, DS1yo)
*10/2011 - MNSSHP: One night of Disney (DS5yo, DS2yo)
*6/2012 - Offsite 8 Day Disney Vacation (DS5yo, DS2yo)

EMHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

I'm Presbyterian, and we don't really "do" the whole giving up stuff thing, but every year, I do sacrifice candy, including chocolate, for the season. It's a big deal for me- I love chocolate and being right after Valentine's Day, well- yeah. It's a sacrifice.

One thing that I am going to try to be better at is a study that we are doing church wide. We are reading a book called The Story- and I am slacking on it. I am determined to sit down during this season and read and study more faithfully.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

We don't officially celebrate Lent, but two years ago I gave up all sodas (have only had maybe 3 Sprites since) and last year I gave up meat to kick start my diet again. This year I'm also thinking exercise every day.

Food & Wine & No Kids ~ A 2nd Honeymoon

Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
From tomorrow until Easter morning?? (trying to be as non-religious as I can get - really j/k)

I have been thinking really hard on this. We ask our children to do something special as in offer to do work for free etc, stop a bad habit, etc instead of giving up a certain food.

I have decided to exercise every single day without complaining. This works for me since we are driving down to Florida and will be near Disney. If we happen to get a day there I would be miserable if I had to abstain.

I have also picked a number of sugar grams and carbs per day that I will monitor. I plan on banking some for our trip.

I figure after around 40 days of this lifestyle maybe it will become habit.

Anyone else??
Lent is longer than 40 days, You are not to "fast" on a Sunday because Sunday is a "feast" day. Sumdays are your "freebie" days
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
EMHDad
DIS Veteran

I have added another project for Lent. I am going to photo journal for 40 days. The UMC has put out a photo journaling campaign. Each day is a word or phrase that I will reflect on and than take and post a picture to share. I am excited to try this. I will be posting on twitter and facebook and experiencing the photos of others.

Check it out. Leave A Comment. Hope it helps you to have a Magical Day!

*7/2009 - Offsite 7 Day Disney Vacation: First Family Disney Vacation (DS3yo, DW 8 months pregnant)
*9/2010 - Offsite 3 Day Disney Vacation (DS4yo, DS1yo)
*10/2011 - MNSSHP: One night of Disney (DS5yo, DS2yo)
*6/2012 - Offsite 8 Day Disney Vacation (DS5yo, DS2yo)

EMHDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: