Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
Ember
I've also crazy glued myself to many things
I'm calling it a victory. At least until next time

Which places do you love, and which don't do it for you?

Cities, states, countries... Which have won your heart and which just didn't float your boat? (Not a bash on those places people didn't like, we all have different tastes!)

I loved Scotland and (almost) everything about it. Same with Ireland. I will always be willing to go back to Paris or London or Munich, they are amazing cities.

I enjoyed Greece but have no desire to go back. For a number of reasons I will be happy to leave Australia, and I doubt we'll ever return, even to visit. I cherished my time in South Africa, but don't really have a need to see it again, either.
Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Love Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, parts of Idaho. Really loved Japan when I lived there, but not so sure I would now (the older I get the more I value nature and hate crowds).

Not quite such a fan of the eastern half of the US because it's so crowded.

The countries I would really like to visit are Northwestern parts of Canada, Ireland, Norway, Finland, and Sweden.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Hmmm. . .

Las Angeles was a bit mph for me. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice city, but nothing specatular. Maybe it was the trip itself? I dunno. If I go back, I will try to find something to excite me. (I did adore San Diego, would go there again in a heartbeat. . .)

I really can't think of any place else that I wouldn't love to visit again. Montana, Washington State, Vancouver, Europe, New England, Georgia, Missouri, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Middle Atlantic, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Wyoming, Minnesota, Oregon, Northen California etc.

Yeah, I'd love to go back to any of them. Some more than others, but they are all so very different from each other and so full of interesting things!
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

As a military brat who lived in Europe, there are so many places I would go back to in a heartbeat! However, I can take or leave France.

In the US, I have enjoyed many places we have gone, but I will admit that I am not a Las Vegas or Atlantic City type person. I didn't enjoy either place. Not that there were 'bad' places, just not my type of entertainment.

Kelly

ETA: I would love to visit Canada and the Western half of the United States. I have never had the opportunity to go any further West than Tenn. Topping the list would be Colorado. My brother lived there for about 18months and his pictures of where he was are absolutely beautiful,
Old 02-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Places I love and could easily return to annually.

Paris
Washington
New York

Cities I glad I visit but usually for 1 specific thing or I could skip.
Orlando (except for the mouse world I would never go)
Miami
New Orleans
Venice

2014 is the year I'm determined to visit the West and state parks. I keep pusing back Yellowstone and the Grand canyon.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I've been all over the US save for AK, HI, WA, and a big chunk of the Northeast. Also the UK and at least 100 days in Mexico. I can't honestly say that there was any place I didn't enjoy visiting, nor any place I wouldn't go again.

I don't think I could live in CA as it was just too weird for me. It felt more foreign than MX or the UK. And the wall to wall parts of the Northeast would be another no go. It seemed like Philly and Trenton could have had city limit signs on the same pole - one facing each way. There just wasn't any open space and it was a bit stifling.

Rocky Mountain states are probably my favorite place to visit, and my favorite people are those in TN (super friendly).
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

If I never set foot in NYC again I would not be disappointed. (Although we are planning a visit this spring to see the 9/11 memorial)
I love Cape Cod and The Adirondak region. I also love The Chesapeake Bay area.
We are planning a trip to Pigeon Forge, that will probably be on the top of my "love" list
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I absolutely loved Scotland and Ireland. Sydney was also beautiful and probably my favorite area of Australia, but I loved the whole country. England was a lot of fun for the culture and the manners of all of the people. Even when they are angry, they are polite!

I was not crazy about New York (yes, I am aware that this likely opens myself up to some angry New Yorkers). I'm much more into clean areas with friendly people. Not a fan of Seattle, either, but just because of the climate. I like for it to rain or not rain. Not a fan of drizzle. The people all seemed pretty great, though.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
If I never set foot in NYC again I would not be disappointed. (Although we are planning a visit this spring to see the 9/11 memorial)
I love Cape Cod and The Adirondak region. I also love The Chesapeake Bay area.
We are planning a trip to Pigeon Forge, that will probably be on the top of my "love" list

**** Gasp**** 'dems fighting words. Ironically I meet a couple from Pigeon Forge in PARIS. LOL. we were all waiting to climb the stairs up the tower of Notre Dame, very nice couple and now I to want to visit there.

9/11 memorial is awesome. I spent an afternoon there last fall, got there early afternoon and it was so moving it was evening before I left. enjoy.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Places I love:

Michigan's Upper Peninsula (anywhere up there!)
Sault Ste. Marie
Daytona Beach, Florida
Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area of Tennessee
Nashville, Tennessee

Places I Don't Much Care For:

Maine
New Orleans
Most "big cities" with a bazillion people

Places I Still Hope to Visit:

Alaska
Hawaii
Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, Yellowstone, Old Faithful, Mt. Rushmore, etc.
Australia
Paris
Venice
Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I generally don't like cities or places with a high population density. I can take some of them in small doses as a tourist, but would never want to live there.

I like small towns and rural areas. I don't like boom towns.

That said, I liked Hong Kong a whole lot more than I expected. It's clean, easy to get around, has stunningly good public transportation and the food is amazing. Plus, they did an awesome job in preserving green space.

I enjoyed New Orleans. I wouldn't want to live there, but there was lots to do (and I'm not a drinker or partier), but the music, museums, acquarium, insectarium, swamp tours, etc. were great. I liked a lot of the food but much of it was too heavy on the fried and too light on the fresh veggies for me to think it would be good for me to stay very long.

I hated LA. I can't think of anything I found positive about it. I hate NYC. WDW is nice, but other than that, I don't like FL. Too hot, too much recent development.

Seattle was fun for a visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Too much rain.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

I love most cities, especially NYC, Paris, London, Venice, Florence, Brussels ...
and some of the smaller ones: Munich, Rouen, Antwerp.

What else? Pompeii, Arizona, Switzerland.

I love Washington DC but dislike pretty much everything about Virginia. Maryland, I can take or leave (other than Baltimore - I like Baltimore.)

Philadelphia is probably my least favorite place in the entire U.S.; in general, I don't care for any part of Pennsylvania (but I like New Hope/Bucks Co.)

Really enjoyed a brief trip to Toronto last year.

Bora Bora blew me away; hope to get back there and/or visit Fiji.

Parts of the Jersey Shore (Spring Lake area) are heaven to me.

Dying to visit Alaska, Maldives or Seychelles, Moscow & St. Petersburg, Morocco, Egypt, Jordan. Hope to do an African safari at some point too.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
**** Gasp**** 'dems fighting words.
I'm just not a big city kind of girl, I swear

I have been to NYC lots of times (only about an 1 1/2 hours north) and there are things in the city I really enjoyed, I just don't like the city as a whole.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
princesspiglet
DIS Veteran

Places I love:

Cozumel
NYC
San Diego
Catalina Island
Cape Cod
Mystic, CT
Newport, RI
Savannah
Wilmington
Portland
Ireland
Scotland
Germany

Places where one visit was enough:
New Orleans
Atlantic City
Las Vegas
LA
Philidelphia
Paris
Sweden
princesspiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

Love...

Alaska (Anchorage was fine, but the surroundings on the drive to Wasilla, WOW!, including everything I saw on a Southbound Alaskan cruise)

Caribou Crossing and Emerald Lake, Yukon, Canada (drove there from port in Skagway, beautiful drive)

Canada (all of it so far, haven't seen anything that I don't like)

Cape San Blas, FL

Sanibel Island

St. Augustine, FL

The Outer Banks, every bit of it!

Hungary, all of it! (but I am partial to Miskolc, being Hungarian and family from there )

Munich, Germany

That beautiful village in Austria whose name I have forgotten, and it bugs me to no end, because I wish to go back!

Cozumel

Dominica (beautiful and unspoiled, at least not spoiled yet)

Costa Maya, Mexico (another undeveloped place; I like seeing what the Gulf side of Mexico was like before it was built up like Cancun)

Busch Gardens, Williamsburg (yes, we love Disney, but there was something about this place, from the rides to the animal shows, that just appealed to us)

Don't care for...

New Orleans (interesting architecture, great seafood restaurants, but seeing vomit on the sidewalk in the morning taints the whole experience)

Myrtle Beach and the Sea Mist hotel (if I go again, it is to North Myrtle Beach, where it is quieter and my 12 year old daughter won't be propositioned by leering college boys as we walk to the restaurant)

Seattle (not big into cities, and the weather, well, I like sun and heat!)

Szerbia (ok, it was in the mid-80's, so I was an older teen then and perhaps my view was tainted, but in my mind, the most gruff, chauvinistic, rude, unpleasant, nasty men were in Szerbia; could not wait to get back to my lovely Hungarian men! )

Chicago (I live a couple of hours from there, but I just don't like it - too crowded, too loud, too expensive, and did I mention too crowded? I like open land and the sounds of birds and crickets)

Atlanta (too crowded, guess I don't like cities)

Cancun (I like Mexico, the people are very friendly in my experience, but Cancun is too built up)

Martinique (I speak a bit of French, but apparently it wasn't enough - the rudest people I have ever met were in Martinique)

Grand Cayman (just don't care for it - beautiful scenery, but the people we have met are not very pleasant and don't seem to care for tourists - take me to Mexico instead)

Sun, warm beaches, friendly people, but not too many of them, while speaking Hungarian, oh, that is Heaven!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: