Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

My MIL stole my kitchen!!!

Okay, so a little backstory - we bought our house about six years ago. We love it, and there is nothing "wrong" with it, but it is a little dated. We have been slowly updating as we can, and finally saved up some money to redo the kitchen. Not a total redo - refacing the cabinets, painting and adding some backsplash for now. Oh, and a new window treatment. We are really excited and I put a lot of time and research into what I wanted, and how to get the most for the money we have.

My mother law asked me what I had decided on, and I made the mistake of telling her what we were doing... colors and style. TWO DAYS LATER she announced she was redoing her kitchen walls and cabinets in the SAME COLORS that I am doing, and even bought the backsplash I was considering.

Seriously, WHO DOES THAT?

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Yikes. That is pretty horrid. Maybe wait and see how it turns out and then tweak your design! She can be the rough draft.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyMomma View Post

My mother law asked me what I had decided on, and I made the mistake of telling her what we were doing... colors and style. TWO DAYS LATER she announced she was redoing her kitchen walls and cabinets in the SAME COLORS that I am doing, and even bought the backsplash I was considering.

Instead of being horrified, you could consider it a compliment.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

It would take a lot more than that to horrify me. This wouldn't even be a blip on my radar
Old 02-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

When I was about 6, the families of two girls I was in class with each built a house located next to each other. The first mom picked out exactly what she wanted in colors, decorating features, etc. The second mom's house was a bit behind hers schedule-wise. When the second mom's house started to be built, the first mom went to see it and it was TOTALLY done in every single thing Mom #1 had selected. Different floor plan, but everything that could be selected was identical. She gritched about that for years and I can see why.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I did this to my mom. She had her kitchen remodeled in 2003. When I built my townhouse in 2005 I picked similar cabinets and a similar looking countertop. It helped my transition from there house to my house and made my new place feel more like home.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
That's what hubby says. I'm trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
It would take a lot more than that to horrify me. This wouldn't even be a blip on my radar
If you knew MIL... if this was the only thing she had done.... It's not worth my time/energy to say anymore about her though.

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

I don't see what the issue is? She liked your ideas and chose to use them in her home. Isn't that what we all basically do when we look at magazines etc. We copy fashion, color schemes, decorating, vacation plans etc.

I guess I don't see how its so horrible - tons and tons of people "do that"
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I have no problem with that. Now, a friend's mother has a habit of "borrowing" items from her kitchen that never seem to make it back. You'd think that a 75 year old woman who raised 3 kids would have every pot and pan she needed, especially now that she lives alone, but apparently not.

My favorite was 2 years ago, she "borrowed" her daughter's Christmas tree.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I don't see what the issue is? She liked your ideas and chose to use them in her home. Isn't that what we all basically do when we look at magazines etc. We copy fashion, color schemes, decorating, vacation plans etc.

I guess I don't see how its so horrible - tons and tons of people "do that"
I agree. If she bought the same clothes you wanted (meaning, there would be a chance of the two of you showing up in the same outfit), then maybe there's something to get annoyed about. But the same kitchen in two different houses? No big deal.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Robbi
DIS Veteran

My friend had tiles custom painted for her kitchen. Her SIL asked if it was ok to bring her mom over to see the quality of the painting. The mom got another artist to paint the identical tiles for her kitchen. It was not a pretty scene between the SILs for a while. I told friend to back off because her SIL had zero idea that her mom would do this.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

I guess everyone takes things differently. Same clothes wouldn't bother me at all. It's mostly just her, she has done some TERRIBLE things to her son, and our son. She isn't a nice person. We saved and waited and worked REALLY hard for this, and she's doing the same things and doing them faster than us. You either get it, or you don't. I was just venting.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Agreed...but still no one likes a copycat. :P
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyMomma
Okay, so a little backstory - we bought our house about six years ago. We love it, and there is nothing "wrong" with it, but it is a little dated. We have been slowly updating as we can, and finally saved up some money to redo the kitchen. Not a total redo - refacing the cabinets, painting and adding some backsplash for now. Oh, and a new window treatment. We are really excited and I put a lot of time and research into what I wanted, and how to get the most for the money we have.

A lot of people. Always has weirded me out, mostly because when it has been done to me it's a weird competitive thing. Currently in a declining friendship for similar reasons - I the list is outrageous to the point I stopped telling her about purchases, vacation plans, remodel plans, hair cuts even....

However even if its not the case- just think of it as a compliment because you have great taste I am betting this us the easiest way to go bc it's your MIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001
Yikes. That is pretty horrid. Maybe wait and see how it turns out and then tweak your design! She can be the rough draft.
I like this idea!
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

Last edited by DisneyCrazyMomma; 02-10-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: