Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyCrazyMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 557

My MIL stole my kitchen!!!

Okay, so a little backstory - we bought our house about six years ago. We love it, and there is nothing "wrong" with it, but it is a little dated. We have been slowly updating as we can, and finally saved up some money to redo the kitchen. Not a total redo - refacing the cabinets, painting and adding some backsplash for now. Oh, and a new window treatment. We are really excited and I put a lot of time and research into what I wanted, and how to get the most for the money we have.

My mother law asked me what I had decided on, and I made the mistake of telling her what we were doing... colors and style. TWO DAYS LATER she announced she was redoing her kitchen walls and cabinets in the SAME COLORS that I am doing, and even bought the backsplash I was considering.

Seriously, WHO DOES THAT?
__________________
DH Me DS and our furry little friend

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,155

Yikes. That is pretty horrid. Maybe wait and see how it turns out and then tweak your design! She can be the rough draft.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups
 
TLSnell1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyMomma View Post
.

My mother law asked me what I had decided on, and I made the mistake of telling her what we were doing... colors and style. TWO DAYS LATER she announced she was redoing her kitchen walls and cabinets in the SAME COLORS that I am doing, and even bought the backsplash I was considering.

Seriously, WHO DOES THAT?
Instead of being horrified, you could consider it a compliment.
__________________
"I'm surrounded by idiots.".
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.
 
minkydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North GA
Posts: 15,783

It would take a lot more than that to horrify me. This wouldn't even be a blip on my radar
__________________
Never underestimate the determination of the mother with a handicapped child
minkydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,506

When I was about 6, the families of two girls I was in class with each built a house located next to each other. The first mom picked out exactly what she wanted in colors, decorating features, etc. The second mom's house was a bit behind hers schedule-wise. When the second mom's house started to be built, the first mom went to see it and it was TOTALLY done in every single thing Mom #1 had selected. Different floor plan, but everything that could be selected was identical. She gritched about that for years and I can see why.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran
 
StitchesGr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,094

I did this to my mom. She had her kitchen remodeled in 2003. When I built my townhouse in 2005 I picked similar cabinets and a similar looking countertop. It helped my transition from there house to my house and made my new place feel more like home.
__________________
'86-offsite, '91-Buena Vista Palace, '92-offsite, '97-offsite, '98-Magic Music Days, '06-ASMu, '07-FtW, '09-ASMu,'10-POR,'12-Poly (Honeymoon!)
StitchesGr8Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyCrazyMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Instead of being horrified, you could consider it a compliment.
That's what hubby says. I'm trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
It would take a lot more than that to horrify me. This wouldn't even be a blip on my radar
If you knew MIL... if this was the only thing she had done.... It's not worth my time/energy to say anymore about her though.
__________________
DH Me DS and our furry little friend

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!
 
mamacatnv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Texas Y'all by way of N. Nevada
Posts: 9,586

I don't see what the issue is? She liked your ideas and chose to use them in her home. Isn't that what we all basically do when we look at magazines etc. We copy fashion, color schemes, decorating, vacation plans etc.

I guess I don't see how its so horrible - tons and tons of people "do that"
__________________
MamaCatNV
DH55 Me47DS 24 DD15
Baxter & Simon Gryffindor The Great Pyreneese
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 17,031

I have no problem with that. Now, a friend's mother has a habit of "borrowing" items from her kitchen that never seem to make it back. You'd think that a 75 year old woman who raised 3 kids would have every pot and pan she needed, especially now that she lives alone, but apparently not.

My favorite was 2 years ago, she "borrowed" her daughter's Christmas tree.
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 3,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I don't see what the issue is? She liked your ideas and chose to use them in her home. Isn't that what we all basically do when we look at magazines etc. We copy fashion, color schemes, decorating, vacation plans etc.

I guess I don't see how its so horrible - tons and tons of people "do that"
I agree. If she bought the same clothes you wanted (meaning, there would be a chance of the two of you showing up in the same outfit), then maybe there's something to get annoyed about. But the same kitchen in two different houses? No big deal.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Robbi
DIS Veteran
 
Robbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,694

My friend had tiles custom painted for her kitchen. Her SIL asked if it was ok to bring her mom over to see the quality of the painting. The mom got another artist to paint the identical tiles for her kitchen. It was not a pretty scene between the SILs for a while. I told friend to back off because her SIL had zero idea that her mom would do this.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyCrazyMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 557

I guess everyone takes things differently. Same clothes wouldn't bother me at all. It's mostly just her, she has done some TERRIBLE things to her son, and our son. She isn't a nice person. We saved and waited and worked REALLY hard for this, and she's doing the same things and doing them faster than us. You either get it, or you don't. I was just venting.
__________________
DH Me DS and our furry little friend

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,971

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Instead of being horrified, you could consider it a compliment.
Agreed...but still no one likes a copycat. :P
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
SAT887
DIS Veteran
 
SAT887's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 2,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyMomma
Okay, so a little backstory - we bought our house about six years ago. We love it, and there is nothing "wrong" with it, but it is a little dated. We have been slowly updating as we can, and finally saved up some money to redo the kitchen. Not a total redo - refacing the cabinets, painting and adding some backsplash for now. Oh, and a new window treatment. We are really excited and I put a lot of time and research into what I wanted, and how to get the most for the money we have.

My mother law asked me what I had decided on, and I made the mistake of telling her what we were doing... colors and style. TWO DAYS LATER she announced she was redoing her kitchen walls and cabinets in the SAME COLORS that I am doing, and even bought the backsplash I was considering.

Seriously, WHO DOES THAT?
A lot of people. Always has weirded me out, mostly because when it has been done to me it's a weird competitive thing. Currently in a declining friendship for similar reasons - I the list is outrageous to the point I stopped telling her about purchases, vacation plans, remodel plans, hair cuts even....

However even if its not the case- just think of it as a compliment because you have great taste I am betting this us the easiest way to go bc it's your MIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001
Yikes. That is pretty horrid. Maybe wait and see how it turns out and then tweak your design! She can be the rough draft.
I like this idea!
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyCrazyMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 557

...
__________________
DH Me DS and our furry little friend

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.

Last edited by DisneyCrazyMomma; 02-10-2013 at 04:42 PM.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.