Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

It never fails

In any discussion, in any place online, on any topic, no matter how mundane, if the discussion of politics is not expressly banned, some idiot is going to bring up politics and blame the party he/she does not like for the problem, no matter how far removed from politics it is.

Just having a discussion over a school administrator assigning a book for the T&G 4th grade classes that was okay for HS but wildly inappropriate for 4th graders when someone just had to go and stuff his politics into it. Then, of course, someone from the other side had to get a snide political comment in. . .and the discussion ground to a halt!

Wu-huh? Administrator obviously just grabbed a book without vetting it and tried to make some classroom teachers teach it .What does that have to with politics?
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I have had to work really hard at not voicing my political opinions on threads where politics gets brought up. I have very strong opinions, but the Dis is neither the time nor the place. Besides, I highly doubt I will convince anyone to change their views by arguing over here. It's taken a while, but I think I have gotten better. Now, when I enter one of those threads, I simply back out and go visit one of the resort boards for a bit.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

The comments sections for most online articles usually get derailed within just a comment or two with some yahoo posting about 'the other side" and all their faults even when the article in question had nothing to do with that.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
In any discussion, in any place online, on any topic, no matter how mundane, if the discussion of politics is not expressly banned, some idiot is going to bring up politics and blame the party he/she does not like for the problem, no matter how far removed from politics it is.

Just having a discussion over a school administrator assigning a book for the T&G 4th grade classes that was okay for HS but wildly inappropriate for 4th graders when someone just had to go and stuff his politics into it. Then, of course, someone from the other side had to get a snide political comment in. . .and the discussion ground to a halt!

Wu-huh? Administrator obviously just grabbed a book without vetting it and tried to make some classroom teachers teach it .What does that have to with politics?
With all due respect, politics are brought up because they reach deeply into many things that happen in our lives.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Pixie Dust for Me!
Anyone seen tink lately, I'm running a bit low on dust!

Yes, many things are political. What is missing is the element of civil discourse...as in polite listening to the other side and either agreeing to disagree or finding shared understanding in certain areas.

We are also missing statesmen and stateswomen. Instead, we have (in many....though not all cases) political hacks! And yes, I once worked for Members of Congress in the U.S. House of Representatives.

KC

We now get to hear "Welcome Home" since we are DVC members!!

Also see my DS at TheDuckStopsHere
Pixie Dust for Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
With all due respect, politics are brought up because they reach deeply into many things that happen in our lives.
But this had NOTHING to do with politics. The novel had literary elements that 4th graders aren't ready cognitively to handle yet and had some adult content (for example, a man rapes a slave girl, and she bears his child) that 4th graders just aren't ready for yet. That's what we were discussing, the literary elements (use of realism, genre structure, historical elements, symbolism) and the mature content.

What the heck does that have to do with politics unless you're so obsessed you look at your toothpaste and think the gunk on the nozzle is a political conspiracy?
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I have had to work really hard at not voicing my political opinions on threads where politics gets brought up. I have very strong opinions, but the Dis is neither the time nor the place. Besides, I highly doubt I will convince anyone to change their views by arguing over here. It's taken a while, but I think I have gotten better. Now, when I enter one of those threads, I simply back out and go visit one of the resort boards for a bit.

I LOVE it.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
But this had NOTHING to do with politics. The novel had literary elements that 4th graders aren't ready cognitively to handle yet and had some adult content (for example, a man rapes a slave girl, and she bears his child) that 4th graders just aren't ready for yet. That's what we were discussing, the literary elements (use of realism, genre structure, historical elements, symbolism) and the mature content.

What the heck does that have to do with politics unless you're so obsessed you look at your toothpaste and think the gunk on the nozzle is a political conspiracy?
Not the novel, the process used to make the decision that was not too strong for 4th graders.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: