Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

FB question...can I block some posts but not the entire person?

I am not on my FB that often, so my issues are regarding whats showing up on DS14's facebook.

Oldest DsS32 is filling his newsfeed with constant political/controversial shares. I mean constantly. It started in Dec right after Sandy Hook, so I thought as time passed it would let up, but it hasn't. DsS32 has never even indicated he had these viewpoints, and they have never ever come up in conversation. These are viewpoints we do not agree on at all.

DS14 says he just ignores these posts, but it is so excessive that I would like to know if there is a way to block only those types of posts, but not regular ones like pictures of DGkids.

Thanks for your help!
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
beavismom
*~*~*~*A tag full of gecko pixie dust!*~*~*~*
Spread the Spirit of Christmas (and popcorn) on The DIS!

Hover on the post and you should see an arrow appear in the upper right corner of it. Click on the hide option and after that post goes away there is a choice to change what updates you see from person. I would pick the important updates only It isn't a perfect match for what you want to do, but will filter some of them out.
beavismom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksjasams View Post
I am not on my FB that often, so my issues are regarding whats showing up on DS14's facebook.

Oldest DsS32 is filling his newsfeed with constant political/controversial shares. I mean constantly. It started in Dec right after Sandy Hook, so I thought as time passed it would let up, but it hasn't. DsS32 has never even indicated he had these viewpoints, and they have never ever come up in conversation. These are viewpoints we do not agree on at all.

DS14 says he just ignores these posts, but it is so excessive that I would like to know if there is a way to block only those types of posts, but not regular ones like pictures of DGkids.

Thanks for your help!
Are they inappropriate or is it that you just don't agree with them? I mean if your ds has no problem ignoring them, what is the big deal (as long as they aren't inappropriate). You do realize that your kids will be exposed to things you don't agree with through out their lives. Shielding them from it seems a bit extreme.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

Quote:

Thanks for your help!
Are you not teaching your ds to be tolerant and respectful of others' opinions? Do you want him to be narrow-minded?

Opinions with which you don't agree can be excellent teaching tools in learning to articulate one's own positions.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Cinderella94
now and then i have to remind myself how extremely hot it gets in those things
Why do all of those sound like they could've come out of my mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavismom View Post
Hover on the post and you should see an arrow appear in the upper right corner of it. Click on the hide option and after that post goes away there is a choice to change what updates you see from person. I would pick the important updates only It isn't a perfect match for what you want to do, but will filter some of them out.
This. You can select individual posts to hide, once they're already posted, but you can't tell facebook which posts are considered political and controversial, so you can't prevent only certain posts from him from showing up.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you! I really appreciate your help!
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Caropooh
POO, are you? POO POO, POO POO!
I LOVE wiggling my kids teeth!
Drives a braille van

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you! I really appreciate your help!
But this also means that you will have to log into DS's FB page and hide them before he sees them. That sounds like a lot of work just to hide posts that he already says he just ignores. It seems like you would constantly be having to check his FB.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I just did a "hide" on my cousin for the same reason. I've also unfriended a few acquantences, not people I really know. I don't need political ads.

Last fall he kept sending me political e-mails that I disagreed with and I finally just told him to stop. He was ticked at me but I was sick of it. The one that threw me over the edge was an e-mail with pictures making fun of one of a candidate's wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caropooh View Post
But this also means that you will have to log into DS's FB page and hide them before he sees them. That sounds like a lot of work just to hide posts that he already says he just ignores. It seems like you would constantly be having to check his FB.
I did a hide from newsfeed that automatically hides all his posts. I can still check his wall.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
beavismom
*~*~*~*A tag full of gecko pixie dust!*~*~*~*
Spread the Spirit of Christmas (and popcorn) on The DIS!

Once you hide the one post, you get the option to filter further posts so they wouldn't be hiding each post. You don't have an option to hide "political" posts or anything like that, but you can reduce them to only seeing "important" posts from that person.
beavismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

I have my ex hidden, mainly because he will post 100 pictures one at a time and take up my whole newsfeed. I just go to his page once a week or so to see if anything important has happened.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: