Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Tinkerkell007
Mouseketeer

Talking A question from a cruise newbie

I'm going to be going on a Disney cruise next year and I was wondering how rough has the cruise gotton for you? I do get sea sick, not so much when the boat is moving forward but when we are sitting idle and rocking back and forth is when it really hits. I've never been on a cruise, and I hear that it's not bad but I've also seen the videos where things get pretty rough and I'm just sitting there like .

The last thing I want to do is be stuck for 5 nights feeling like .

Please share you stories with me!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

When are you sailing?

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Four Bears
Mouseketeer

The cruise ships have stabilizers that really minimize the rocking motion in good seas. The worst part of my cruises have been taking the small tender boats, and then I know exactly what you mean about bobbing up and down

I am very prone to car sickness (I can't read anything, except a map for a few minutes and then take 15 minutes to recoup with the window down) and I do really well on cruises. I personally don't take any medicines for it, but there are a ton of different options (medicinal or not) that work for many people.

Disney Magic 2010 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic 2012 Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy 2013 Western Caribbean
Counting down to Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

Four Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
daisywithak
Mouseketeer

I tend to get car and air sick so I used the patch on our cruise. I still got sick the first night of our cruise to the Bahamas last October. The ship was really moving a lot that first night, and the staff said it was unusually rough. I did not have a problem at all the rest of the trip. I think on a typical day you will probably be ok!

You can also get free sea-sickness meds at guest service if you need it.
daisywithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
jaydensmommy23
Earning My Ears

Our first cruise is coming up and I too am worried about sea sickness. I am going to bring sea bands and meds just in case (I find myself up at night worrying about if I am going to get sea sick LOL)
jaydensmommy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

If you are sailing out of Port Canaval, the first and last evenings you can generally feel a little movement. After that you only feel movement if these are bigger waves. I take some medicine for sea sickness but just as a percaution. Only been alot of movement a few times, which isn't bad for the number of cruises we have been on.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

MAGIC - 6, WONDER - 5, DREAM - 7, FANTASY - 3

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Tinkerkell007
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
When are you sailing?
In Jan, if all goes to plan on the 19th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Bears View Post
The cruise ships have stabilizers that really minimize the rocking motion in good seas. The worst part of my cruises have been taking the small tender boats, and then I know exactly what you mean about bobbing up and down

I am very prone to car sickness (I can't read anything, except a map for a few minutes and then take 15 minutes to recoup with the window down) and I do really well on cruises. I personally don't take any medicines for it, but there are a ton of different options (medicinal or not) that work for many people.
You sound similar to me, I get that way too! I was going to bring some medicine too but I don't like taking it because I feel drowsy, even the non-drowsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisywithak View Post
I tend to get car and air sick so I used the patch on our cruise. I still got sick the first night of our cruise to the Bahamas last October. The ship was really moving a lot that first night, and the staff said it was unusually rough. I did not have a problem at all the rest of the trip. I think on a typical day you will probably be ok!

You can also get free sea-sickness meds at guest service if you need it.
Good to know, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacruiser View Post
If you are sailing out of Port Canaval, the first and last evenings you can generally feel a little movement. After that you only feel movement if these are bigger waves. I take some medicine for sea sickness but just as a percaution. Only been alot of movement a few times, which isn't bad for the number of cruises we have been on.
We will be sailing out of Miami, hope it's not any worse there! I'll be sure to bring stuff just in case.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I start taking Bonine a couple days before the cruise and continue every morning. Our first cruise had 20+ foot swells for 2-3 days. We have experienced that a couple more times. Only DD has gotten seasick once. The trick about seasickness is you want to prevent it from bothering you. Once you get sick, it takes longer for any treatment to take effect.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Start taking ginger pills prior to cruising..I am deathly afraid of water so I was nervous about being ill, and to be honest, the only time I felt any movement was at night in our bathroom And actually, it was soothing or at least I thought it was soothing My husband was a little ill for a couple of different times and for no reason. I did take sea bands but, he wouldn't wear them....so...we were on deck 7 and I can't wait to go back Good luck
Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

I get car sickness very easily, but I had no problem on the Dream without any medication, ginger pills, or sea bands. However, I am very concerned about our upcoming Fantasy trip because one of our excursions involves a 45 minute catamaran ride that most say destroys them. I can't take meds or I won't wake up until the cruise is over, but I've had good luck with sea bands preventing car sickness, so plan to use those. I thought I'd try ginger pills as well, but does anyone have any other herbal or non-medicinal suggestions? Thanks!
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
chudson98
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
I start taking Bonine a couple days before the cruise and continue every morning.
I do the same thing and never have any problem with it although I take Bonnie at bedtime. I start 2 days before our cruise and continue for 2 days after. Even the roughest seas don't bother me and I never feel sleepy.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
I start taking Bonine a couple days before the cruise and continue every morning. Our first cruise had 20+ foot swells for 2-3 days. We have experienced that a couple more times. Only DD has gotten seasick once. The trick about seasickness is you want to prevent it from bothering you. Once you get sick, it takes longer for any treatment to take effect.
I second this, worked like a charm
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
UCFGrad01
Mouseketeer

I'll be honest, I've felt seasick on two of my three cruises. However, both times were because of storms that created big swells (15'+). I only felt ill when the waves were bad, not the whole cruise.

My room steward on the last cruise suggested I buy sea bands (and I suggest you buy them BEFORE getting on the boat, to save yourself about double the money). At first, I read the instructions, which tell you to put the little ball thingy between the two tendons of your wrist, something like 2 finger widths from where your hand meets your wrist. That did nothing. I ran into her later and she asked how I was feeling, I said I wasn't any better. She asked me to show her the bands and told me to put the balls onto the pulse point on my wrist. Less than 10 minutes later, I was 100% fine. I have NO idea why that worked vs the other method, but I didn't care :D

It's hard if you're feeling sick, but try to go out on deck (I like deck 4 on the classic ships for this - they have nice loungers and aren't too busy) to get fresh air. I've also heard that the lower the deck you stay on and the closer to midship you are, the less movement you'll feel in your stateroom.

Good luck!
UCFGrad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Really hard to say. People are so different. My first cruise was on a 500 passenger ship without stabilizers, there were times you would stand in the hall and watch the other end of the hall rise and fall.
Modern ships with stabilizers have relatively little movement, but some people still get seasick. My wife got sick deep sea fishing on a 30 foot boat, but has never gotten sick on a cruise ship, even one without stabilizers in rough seas. You WILL feel movement, just depends how sensative you are. But make sure if you start feeling poorly you immediately get medicine so you don't ruin your trip.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
Tinkerkell007
Mouseketeer

Thank you all so much for your responses! I think I will do the Bonine suggestions before the cruise. I know I have time, but if I feel more confident about not feeling sick I can get more excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFGrad01 View Post
I'll be honest, I've felt seasick on two of my three cruises. However, both times were because of storms that created big swells (15'+). I only felt ill when the waves were bad, not the whole cruise.

My room steward on the last cruise suggested I buy sea bands (and I suggest you buy them BEFORE getting on the boat, to save yourself about double the money). At first, I read the instructions, which tell you to put the little ball thingy between the two tendons of your wrist, something like 2 finger widths from where your hand meets your wrist. That did nothing. I ran into her later and she asked how I was feeling, I said I wasn't any better. She asked me to show her the bands and told me to put the balls onto the pulse point on my wrist. Less than 10 minutes later, I was 100% fine. I have NO idea why that worked vs the other method, but I didn't care :D

It's hard if you're feeling sick, but try to go out on deck (I like deck 4 on the classic ships for this - they have nice loungers and aren't too busy) to get fresh air. I've also heard that the lower the deck you stay on and the closer to midship you are, the less movement you'll feel in your stateroom.

Good luck!
Very interesting story, I will keep this in mind!! I'm really glad you have some room suggestions, I haven't booked yet so I'll be looking into this some more for sure!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: