Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #496
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Staying at the Monorail resorts. I stayed at GF in December and the Monorail was down a portion of every day. Way too expensive for problem transportation!

New Fantasy Land. Can you say boring? I hope when they open more of it I will like it better.

Fantasmic. I saw it once and that was more than enough.

Downtown Disney. Just seems like a crowd of people milling around some stores. It also takes forever to get there and back.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #497
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Toy Story Mania. We finally got to ride it yesterday. Got a fastpass first and then rode standby. About a 15 minute wait at 9am. It was fun and amusing, but we weren't particularly impressed. We actually considered giving the FPs away, but gave it another shot. Same impression. Nice, but hardly worth the effort involved. In our opinion it's not worth more than a 15-20 minute wait. Yet we love The Great Movie Ride. Go figure.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #498
CTH3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzabelle508 View Post
I have seen alot of people say they don't like illuminations and I'm really surprised!!!...I'm just curious about why and what you think would improve it.
Well, as long as you asked...

There's a line from Macbeth: "...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." That, to me, is Illuminations.

Lots of fire, lots of generically majestic orchestral music, a giant globe that shows fuzzy video of... something... old National Geographic Explorer episodes perhaps... more fire, a few seemingly random fireworks, more majestic orchestral music underscoring more fuzzy video and more fire...

...and all in service of... I just don't know what. I'm a reasonably intelligent, sensitive, well-educated fellow, but I couldn't make heads or tales of what Illuminations was all about.

If it's a celebration of life on Earth (as its subtitle suggests), what's with all the fire? It looks more like a celebration of Dante's Inferno.

The globe is technologically impressive, I guess, but in the end it's a giant, oddly-shaped, and not very sharp video monitor showing rather generic images of nature. (At least 50% of the time I couldn't even be sure what exactly the globe video was showing us, so poor was the resolution.)

I love majestic orchestral music... it's mostly what I listen to, in fact... but I honestly don't know what this music was supposed to be underscoring. It seemed calculated to be generically "inspiring" without being clear about what, exactly, was supposed to inspire me.

I didn't expect or need illuminations to have a story, per se, but I did want it to be cohesive and have a clear theme or thesis or reason for being. In fact, I assume it does have an intended cohesive theme, that it is trying to make a clear statement about... something. Something other than the planet Earth being engulfed in flames.

Unfortunately, for me, whatever that something is gets lost in all the sound and fury, and in the end Illuminations signifies nothing.

As long as you asked.
CTH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #499
luvmylatte
Mouseketeer

I can already hear people screaming at their computers..... I just don't get the French toast at Kona. I was there last year and ordered it planning on a simply heavenly experience. Whati got was a thick piece of dry bread with a pitiful amt of something in the middle . I assume that was the banana. On top of everything else...it was Luke warm and tough. Never had tough French toast before, but did that morning. Perhaps I had a bad batch, but I won't go back for that again.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #500
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Dole Whip. I wanted my money back.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #501
aoffhaus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
Dole Whip. I wanted my money back.
Me too, was not impressed!! LOL! I love pineapple too. I was wishing after I bought it that I would have gotten the chunk of pineapple instead.
4th Trip - Son's 4th Birthday Feb 2013 - Bonnett Creek
aoffhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #502
Maleficent Dragon
DIS Veteran

I have more than one myself. Dole Whips, Duffy and Tonga Toast.
Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #503
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Le Cellier

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #504
samacita
Mouseketeer

BBB. Will never understand that one.
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #505
DisMN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH3 View Post
Well, as long as you asked...

There's a line from Macbeth: "...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." That, to me, is Illuminations.

Lots of fire, lots of generically majestic orchestral music, a giant globe that shows fuzzy video of... something... old National Geographic Explorer episodes perhaps... more fire, a few seemingly random fireworks, more majestic orchestral music underscoring more fuzzy video and more fire...

...and all in service of... I just don't know what. I'm a reasonably intelligent, sensitive, well-educated fellow, but I couldn't make heads or tales of what Illuminations was all about.

If it's a celebration of life on Earth (as its subtitle suggests), what's with all the fire? It looks more like a celebration of Dante's Inferno.

The globe is technologically impressive, I guess, but in the end it's a giant, oddly-shaped, and not very sharp video monitor showing rather generic images of nature. (At least 50% of the time I couldn't even be sure what exactly the globe video was showing us, so poor was the resolution.)

I love majestic orchestral music... it's mostly what I listen to, in fact... but I honestly don't know what this music was supposed to be underscoring. It seemed calculated to be generically "inspiring" without being clear about what, exactly, was supposed to inspire me.

I didn't expect or need illuminations to have a story, per se, but I did want it to be cohesive and have a clear theme or thesis or reason for being. In fact, I assume it does have an intended cohesive theme, that it is trying to make a clear statement about... something. Something other than the planet Earth being engulfed in flames.

Unfortunately, for me, whatever that something is gets lost in all the sound and fury, and in the end Illuminations signifies nothing.

As long as you asked.

I'd be willing to bet that you feel this way because you're really only seeing a watered down version of the old original. (unless you are talking about the original, then...well....LOL nevermind )

The original definitely had a story line and the parade that was held there had a similar story line as the fireworks. Much much too much to adequately explain here but take my word for it, it USED to be scads better than it is now. Although I still really enjoy it, but probably because my memories of the old one linger in my brain.
DisMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #506
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

The dining plans

The food in general

The bus transportation and ME

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #507
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

It's a small world. I cringe just passing by it.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #508
Bee2u
ImJustBeeNme

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylizard View Post
Vinylmation. I think they're all ugly and I just don't get it
This.
My Disney World trips: July 1972; Summer 1980; Our Honeymoon - June 28th - July 2, 1986; Summer 1999; March 2000 (kids sang at Magical Music Days); Our 25th Anniv. celebration - June 24 - 28th, 2011 WL; Nov. 20 - 24, 2012 POR; Jan. 2 - 5, 2013 WL (My first Solo trip); Jan. 26 - 29, 2013 WL; birthday trip: Apr. 5 - 8, 2013 BC; June 3 - 8 2013 WL; First trip to DLR July 5 - 7, 2013; Sept. 19 - 22, 2013 WL; Nov. 23 - 29, 2013 POR; Dec. 6 - 9, 2013 CS; Feb. 1 - 3, 2014 Poly; Mar. 8 - 12, 2014, AoA; Apr. 3 - 7, 2014 POR
Bee2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #509
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

I don't know that I've ever heard anyone rave but I never understood how Duffy was so popular until I went to Tokyo Disney. The gift shops were FULL of him and his lady friend. I don't know if I even saw any other plush characters for sale (although I didn't look very hard).
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 on the GKTW team!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #510
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.&ALI'SMOM View Post
The bus transportation and ME
I wasn't aware anyone raved about the bus transportation. Don't get me wrong, I always use the buses and I love the fact that I don't have to spend the money to rent a car to get around or have to worry about driving on unfamiliar roads by myself ( I always go solo). That doesn't mean I think it's perfect though.

But what don't you like about ME? I love the fact that I get free transportation to the hotel and back to the airport, and I particularly love that I can bypass baggage claim and let them deal with getting my luggage to my room.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: