Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #316
Crystal Brewer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcarolinafan
Wow! That's quite a list! I can't imaginie what it is you don't get about the pins and lanyards. It's Disney pins of favorite characters and Disney places represented on pins. People display these pins on lanyards and wear them throughout the parks to show what it is in WDW that maybe means the most to them or just plain tickles them. My girl digs Chip and Dale and she wears C&D pins to show that. My wife loves Orange Bird and she wears a couple Orange Bird pins to show that (she won't wear a lanyard, but she wears them on a hat or on her shirt.)

The BBB? You don't get the hair salon? As you probably know, most kids like fantasy. They really let their imaginations soar. At WDW, this is encouraged for everybody, not just kids; however, kids especially like to pretend at WDW and dressing up is a huge part of that. You mention you don't get the people who get their kids to do this, as if the child has no say in it, but I can assure you it's the kids who drive that particular bus. More likely than not, when you see a kid in a costume or with made up hair or with face paint, that child has requested it. I don't think it's too typical for a parent to drag a child to WDW, demand that child wear a princess dress, have that child get made up at BBB and then force that child to parade around the parks like that. That would indeed be weird.

I don't get that you don't get that.
Wow Go Dad That in itself is the "Magic" To the one that "doesn't get it" realize this is a dad not a over obsessed mom that points to you it's common sense a large percent of Lil ladies LUV to play dress up & in WDW its def Magical
Crystal Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #317
texstout
Earning My Ears

I openly admit, there is a lot about Disney World that I don't yet 'get'. I've been as a child and a few years back as an adult with free tickets...but I've never been fascinated by it. I was always turned off a bit by the materialism (which admitedly is the pot calling the kettle black). I've also been 'that person' who says things like " You can go to Europe for much less than a trip to Disney World?" or 'Why go to Epcot when you can go to the real Marrakesh much cheaper? (And I've done both recently for less than what we are paying as a family for our upcoming, well-planned trip!) Feel free to roll your eyes at me....I understand.

That said.... I am sooo excited to go to DisneyWorld this April with my kids. I even made them countdown calendars for Valentine's Day and they got cards from Mickey. I can't wait to see the joy in their eyes.

I kind of hope that I am bitten by the Disney bug when we go - I know my extended family is - and we are good friends with CMs....but regardless, this trip isn't about me (or my DH) -- this trip is about spending time with the kids and hopefully a little pixie dust magic.

Things I totally get...but aren't for me:
- wearing matching clothes as a family
- fanny packs
- turkey legs
- Mission space (I'm too clausterphobic)
texstout is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #318
Ds4angels
Mouseketeer

I kind of hope that I am bitten by the Disney bug when we go - I know my extended family is - and we are good friends with CMs....but regardless, this trip isn't about me (or my DH) -- this trip is about spending time with the kids and hopefully a little pixie dust magic.

My dh is the same way, he could take or leave WDW, but once we got there and he saw all the excitement and joy our kids had walking around WDW, he got into the fantasy part of it too
Here's hoping some pixie dust finds you on your trip
Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #319
Sailing
Earning My Ears

Oh my goodness, this thread was made for me! I enjoy Disney and go at least yearly, but I don't think it's the be all and end all of happiness. Even as a kid, I thought it was fun but didn't beg to go or anything. Nowadays, I appreciate Disney more for the details, the excellent theming, and the customer service/business side of things. A little touch of magic does slip in occasionally, so I'm not totally cynical, I promise!
My overrated factor was through the roof last trip, partially because of heightened expectations. Before our last trip, I did a lot of research for "the best of the best" in terms of food, attractions, tips, etc. and found myself disappointed.
  • New Fantasyland - or, as I like to call it, the alleyway behind Fantasyland. Enjoyed it (Be Our Guest and Little Mermaid ride were the highlights), but it was way overhyped by Disney.
  • Studio Backlot Tour - waste of TIME!
  • Animal Kingdom - like some of the rides and the concept, but the execution/theming, meh. It always feels dirty to me, too.
  • Camp Minnie-Mickey - Disney should have shelled out the $ to make this section of the park actually entertaining.
  • Parades - just don't get the craziness, except for the MSEP.
  • Families that wear matching t-shirts
  • BBB - those hairstyles look painful!
  • Vinylmation
  • Downtown Disney - would rather spend time in the parks.
  • Shopping at the park - I'm here for the park, not the stores.
  • Contemporary - that is one hideous resort!
  • Polynesian - visited this on our last trip prior to our meal at Ohana. I really expected a lot, considering how everyone loses their minds about it on here and I love Polynesian/tiki stuff, but found it dark and unimpressive.
  • Ohana - had really high expectations thanks to the raves on here, but our service was horribly rushed and it ruined the food and dining experience for me.
  • Cantina de San Angel - I'd rather not be harassed by wildlife while eating awful Mexican food, thanks.
  • Mickey ice cream bars - it's just a normal ice cream bar with a Mickey head!
  • Turkey legs - gross, how can you eat something with visible veins?
  • Refillable soda mugs
  • Making dining reservations 180 days in advance - I love planning my vacations, but this is crazy to me! Most of my Disney trips are last minute (thank you FL residency), so I'm never able to get a good reservation.
  • DDP - I'd love to do this just for the convenience of pre-paying and not having to worry about money in the parks, but I don't eat enough to make it worth it money-wise.

FL resident - too many trips to count
First trip: June 1988
Last trip: January 2013

Resorts: Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Pop, off-site

Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #320
Safari Queen
Now 14 miles from my happy place.

So people love, hate or don't care about just about everything! For those who don't get some of our loves:

We visit WDW at least twice every year, so we have few "must do" items. We sleep in, have a late breakfast and really enjoy a big meal around 3 pm. Then we have something light in the evening.

We all choose where to spend money or not. We rarely do TS meals...we have favorite CS in every park and DTD. I don't enjoy sit down dining enough to devote the planning and eating time to it.

When my DH golfs -- at courses that are some of the very best in the US -- I am at the spa. It's vacation!

If I have a business trip on the Space Coast, I run over to AK and ride the Safari, then do an animal trail, at a minimum. I find the detail amazing and the opportunities to watch the animals go about their business is fascinating to me. I'm glad so many people don't get it, since it's hard to get a good viewing spot if it's crowded.

To each his or her own! Viva la difference!

VWL Feb 04, OKW Oct 04, SSR Oct 04, BWV Dec 04, OKW Feb 05, BCV Sep 05, BWV Oct 05, BWV Dec 05, OKW Feb 06, BWV Nov 06, BCV Jan 07, BWV & DCL Apr 07, BWV Jun 07, F&W @ BWV Oct 07, AKL & OKW Jan 08, F&W @ AKV Oct 08, BWV Jan 09, AKL Concierge Nov 09; BCV & BWV Jan 10; BWV Oct 10; BWV Jan 11; Coronado Sp/AKL - Feb 12; BWV F&W Oct 12; AKL Oct 13
NEXT: F&W, Oct 14
Safari Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #321
sayuracodfish
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
If I am honest its a small world kind of freaks me out lol.

BBB

Turkey legs

So seeing a girl dressed from the BBB eating a turkey leg on its a small world would have me in therapy for months lol.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #322
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

This is a great thread! Obviously, I agree with some (turkey legs, park hoppers, Hall of Presidents, Fantasmic, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Dole Whip Float, and Vinylmation) and disagree with others (Duffy, Mickey Bars, Soarin', Carousel of Progress, IllumiNations, and Peter Pan's Flight).

Some of the things listed, though, aren't really things that others hype. Some people said Stitch, Camp Minnie-Mickey, Dinoland and the Backlot Tour, for instance. How can these possibly be overrated? They receive mediocre-to-horrible reviews consistently.

I will add a couple that I don't think have been mentioned: Sci Fi Dine-In
and American Adventure.

I will fully admit that Sci Fi Dine-In has a cool atmosphere but I just don't know how anyone can go back there after experiencing it once. First, the food is horrible. I'm not sure how one can mess up such basic food (and I'm far from a picky eater) but they managed to do it. And the service is equally as bad. The servers were like robots...which would have been cool if they actually were robots. No emotion or expression and totally incompetent. Third, the seating arrangement is just odd. I like the idea of sitting in the cars and there are lots of ways to make this work. However, sitting one behind each other just doesn't work practically for a meal.

The American Adventure bores me to tears. I will say that I probably don't get it because I'm not American. But the over-the-top patriotism combined with the story that just went on and on and on makes this a must-skip for me. I will admit that the animatronics are impressive given when they were built but that does not a good attraction make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Huh. We have a different Duffy origins book.

Mickey was lonely in the MK. Tinkerbell pixie dusted his stuffed bear and he came to life.
Yes...this is the original story of the Disney Bear. At the time, he wasn't named Duffy but it is, in fact, the same bear. Also, when Tinker Bell pixie dusted Duffy, that's when the shape of Mickey's face appeared on his. I think the whole story is really magical and connects to the youngest Disney fans. And who doesn't like having a teddy bear of their very own that they can buy new clothes for from each part of the park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
Illuminations. It's REALLY boring and it doesn't really make sense.
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not saying you're wrong in thinking it's overhyped but what about it doesn't make sense to you? I think the narrator explains everything in detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
my problem with the Mickey Bars is that they are frozen SO hard they're nearly impossible to eat. If you manage to take a bite, without breaking your teeth, the chocolate coating cracks into a million pieces and ends up on the sidewalk.
Hmmm...maybe it depends what time of year you visit? I know I've never had this problem. Maybe it's a good thing they are frozen hard because most of the days are quite warm and ice cream on a stick melts fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora5 View Post
The turkey legs!! They taste like ham and are terribly messy.
Yes!! I was waiting for someone to describe the hammy taste. I was so disappointed. I wanted something that taste like turkey. A turkey leg that actually tastes like turkey; now there's a novel idea! Also, I found the meat dry which surprised me for something smoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarrow5150 View Post
Lights Motor Action or whatever it's called is a waste of space and time. I was glad when they announced they would be closing it. The noise is annoying when your at DHS.
I'm behind on my news but when are they closing this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing View Post
Mickey ice cream bars - it's just a normal ice cream bar with a Mickey head!
Ummm...yes. What were you expecting? The description is pretty much in the name.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #323
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

All I can say is different strokes for different folks - it would be rather boring existence if we all liked/disliked the same things!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #324
casanova5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfnerd
All I can say is different strokes for different folks - it would be rather boring existence if we all liked/disliked the same things!
Amen i agree
Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #325
Psav74
Earning My Ears

"Magical"

Seriously its a theme park, there's nothing "magical" about rude people, long lines and overpriced crappy food.

Cast members are nothing like they were in the past. I've seen some act worse than some of the people at the park.
Psav74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #326
sayuracodfish
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Queen View Post
We rarely do TS meals...we have favorite CS in every park and DTD. I don't enjoy sit down dining enough to devote the planning and eating time to it.

May I ask what your CS favorites are? We get the basic dining plan and I'm always interested in what people think are the best CS places Thanks in advance!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #327
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

I'll add to this after we get back from our trip in 2 weeks. I can tell you that I've never understood paying thousands of dollars to go to Disney in peak season to stand in line for hours in 90 degree heat.
GeorgiaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #328
MSaboCLBR
Earning My Ears

Anything at Magic kingdom, except for the castle at Christmas time and wishes
Test track
Any parade
MSaboCLBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #329
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad I have very few things at WDW that I do not *get*. It's just such a magical place to me and my family.

To those that kept saying that the turkey legs taste like ham, not turkey.
Well, it's because it's smoked meat, that's why. Have you never seen *turkey ham* in the supermarket? Does real *pork* smoked (ham) taste like a pork roast? No, it doesn't because it's not the same meat when smoked. Not much of a mystery to me.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #330
sazzifrazz
Mouseketeer

I just can't like AK, no matter how many times I go back and hope to change my mind. I love EE, Lion King and Nemo shows but Dino Land is just awful, and I feel like I walk so much and do so little in that park. I am always miserable there.

ADR's bug me. I wish you didn't have to plan months in advance. It just makes the dining plan so stressful.

School Bread...yuck!

Chef de France was barely edible although Remy was cute
sazzifrazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: