Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #241
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post

Now I hear people line up from 9:00 at BOG for lunch? Waiting for hours. Now with due respect we haven't been yet but is it really that good?

no, it is not
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #242
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

1. Ohana, went on our last trip, and it was ok, but the hype? - not worth the craziness, not even a little bit.
2. Going insane over seeing every little thing, I actually missed a couple of my favorites on our last trip, and I survived - I even still had a great time, go figure. For example, I love the Jungle Cruise, its one of the few things I remember from going as a child, but my DD hates it and begged me not to go on it so we skipped it (she has ASD and the corny jokes really upset her last time).
3. BBB, I agree is overrated for US. My DD cried to have that stuff out of her hair 10 minutes after we left. *sigh* But I don't blame her, it looks so uncomfortable.
4. DHS, just not much for us there, not worth wasting even 1/2 day now that my DD is too old for the Disney Jr show.

ETA: Dole Whip - I don't like pineapple flavored things, so I have never tried it.

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #243
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Now I hear people line up from 9:00 at BOG for lunch? Waiting for hours. Now with due respect we haven't been yet but is it really that good?
The short answer is no, it's not THAT good, but it is quite a bit better than any other food option in Magic Kingdom, IMO. It's worth a wait of some magnitude, but I'd never wait that long.

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015)
DLR (July 2014) - DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #244
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

The crazy frenziness there seems to be in relation to touring the parks at WDW. Yes, it's way bigger than DL but being a DL vet the idea of getting to the park at rope drop, cross crossing it and then hopping to another park just seems crazy. If I don't see and do everything oh well but I'm not doing all of that. Frenziness does not equal vacation to me.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #245
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

This whole thread is an example of one man's trash is another man's treasure. Proof that Disney has something for everyone. For every post I agree with, there is one I would "argue."

I love 3:30 ADRs, they are my favorite time. We have a granola bar or portable breakfast item very early so we get to the park of the day at RD. Then we break for a CS breakfast or substantial snack around 10:00-10:30. We are ready for a big sit down meal right around 3:00-3:30.
And I love the DP, saves me money every time (so far).

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #246
casanova5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNotMuchofaTail
This whole thread is an example of one man's trash is another man's treasure. Proof that Disney has something for everyone. For every post I agree with, there is one I would "argue."

I love 3:30 ADRs, they are my favorite time. We have a granola bar or portable breakfast item very early so we get to the park of the day at RD. Then we break for a CS breakfast or substantial snack around 10:00-10:30. We are ready for a big sit down meal right around 3:00-3:30.
I agree
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #247
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNotMuchofaTail

This is very true. Reminding us the variety that DIS offers and the pure scope of what is possible! Its great that although I do not dine at 3:30 others do and that they cater for it. I have a new appreciation for everything at WDW!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #248
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNotMuchofaTail View Post

I agree. And thank goodness there is someone who "doesn't get it" for every single thing at Disney. It's crowded enough as it is. If everyone wanted to do and experience every thing then it would be even worse. At least as it is now someone is skipping your favorite thing because they don't get it.
AngiTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #249
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeATC View Post
OK, let me see if I can tighten this thread up a bit. Things that people just don't get about Walt Disney World: Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom, Restaurants, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, and Downtown Disney. LOL Does that just about cover it? I think we left out the parking lots, buses and the golf courses, any takers? How will Disney survive.
Yes, I'll take golf courses....I don't get it when people go to Disney and Golf. I especially don't get it when they go to WDW with the family and then go off to golf without the family. I'd think that when at Disney, you would want to do "Disney" stuff! But if it makes them happy, I don't have to get it.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #250
M1Thumb
Earning My Ears

Surprised to see the hate for Dole Whip and Duffy. In defense of Dole Whip, my family used to drive halfway across our island just to get Dole Whip (back when the plantation was still around). I absolutely love it, but it might be due to sentimental value more than anything. I didn't get Duffy at all until my kids bought one each from their savings. He is a cute little bear.

What I don't get about WDW:

- Pins and lanyards
- The hair salon. And people who get their girls to wear those severely pulled back hairdos and wear long polyester gowns around in the summer time. Or the makeup that makes them look like... well I wont' continue as it wouldn't be very Disneylike
- Kids wearing costumes around the parks, in general.
- Hollywood Studios
- Le Cellier
- Disney Dining Plan

I would add the Lilo & Stitch ride, but nobody raves about it.
M1Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #251
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Thumb
Surprised to see the hate for Dole Whip and Duffy. In defense of Dole Whip, my family used to drive halfway across our island just to get Dole Whip (back when the plantation was still around). I absolutely love it, but it might be due to sentimental value more than anything. I didn't get Duffy at all until my kids bought one each from their savings. He is a cute little bear.

What I don't get about WDW:

- Pins and lanyards
- The hair salon. And people who get their girls to wear those severely pulled back hairdos and wear long polyester gowns around in the summer time. Or the makeup that makes them look like... well I wont' continue as it wouldn't be very Disneylike
- Kids wearing costumes around the parks, in general.
- Hollywood Studios
- Le Cellier
- Disney Dining Plan

I would add the Lilo & Stitch ride, but nobody raves about it.
My kids love wearing costumes. Anytime anywhere. Spider-Man shopping at Costco in July. They loved dressing up as pirates and getting the extra attention from passers by. Dresses are much more comfortable in the heat than pants but cotton breathes easier.

No I won't be having DD get the makeup or hair in a bun as I don't really have a desire to create a memory of that but in general little kids like to play dress up.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #252
sheilanne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtoastyman

The short answer is no, it's not THAT good, but it is quite a bit better than any other food option in Magic Kingdom, IMO. It's worth a wait of some magnitude, but I'd never wait that long.
It's really funny to kill yourself getting a reservation for dinner and realize the food is just "OK." We were there Dec. 1st and I bragged for a month to my family how wonderful it was going to be. The entire experience was just "OK" and certainly didn't live up to the hype. It was a joke in my family the entire trip and was probably our least favorite meal. I wish we had gone for lunch instead, maybe next time.
sheilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #253
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Dole Whips. P S I would not have a problem with Duffy if he wasn't everywhere. Too much.

I won't touch the dining plan anymore (I used it several times before 2008) but I see why people love it. I don't love it.

There's no need to line up at park opening for BOG lunch, people actually do that? I've been there twice and didn't stand in line longer than 25 minutes each time, that's certainly do-able and better than waiting 2 hours for the place to open.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 02-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #254
RedsDrew
Mouseketeer

This is a great thread... one of the most entertaining in quite sometime.

As far as the OP's request is concerned:

Downtown Disney (back in the day the Pinocchio reference of "Pleasure Island" may have been relevant, but today there isn't much Pleasure to be had. Even still, Disney keeps referencing "Pleasure Island" on their Downtown Disney information page).

The Churros (Of the few times I've tried them they were varying degrees of tough, chewy, and stale. Every time I get one I say I won't do it again but then I end up getting another one on a later visit anyway hoping that just once I'll get one that's fresh and somewhat tender or flaky).

Stacey on the Disney Hotel TV Station - I have never wished harm to anyone, but I have to admit I think unnatural thoughts (and not the kind you're thinking!) when that woman pops up on the screen and keeps repeating the same thing over and over.... <====== if only I could do that to the Disney hotel room tv!
June 2014 - BWI; May/June 2013 - POR; May/June 2012 - POFQ; Sept 2011 - POFQ for MNSSHP; Nov 2010 - AKL for MMVCP; July 2010 - Pop Century for 4th of July; May/June 2010 - Contemporary; Apr 2010 - CBR; Nov 2009 - POR for MMVCP[/B]
RedsDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #255
John Paul
42 Wallaby Way

storm along bay

1st trip in 1974
1980 1984 Senior Trip (Missing River Country)1985 and 86 several times 1988Contemporary 1990Kissimmee 2000Kissimmee
2006 Pop Century 2008 Port Orleans French Quarter
2009 CBR 2011 CSR 2012 Poly and US and IOA 2013 to come!
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: