Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #106
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

1. Point well take and no disrespect meant. Displaced NO residents.

2. That's the NY spirit -- don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #107
SnowWhite607
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
1. There are NO refugees from New Orleans as a result of Hurricane Katrina! Learn what words mean before you use them.

2. If you don't like it, don't come back. We won't miss you.
1976-offsite, 1985-offsite, April 1986-AS Sports, 1990 - AS Sports, Dec 1998 - AS Sports, June 2005 with DD for the first time - AS Music, July 2006 - Caribbean Beach/Coronado Springs, July 2007 Poly, June 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge/Grand Floridian, Feb 2009 - Pop! June 2009 - Beach Club, March 2011 -Pop! June 2012 - Port Orleans FQ, March 2014 - Mother Daughter trip - POFQ, November 2014 - POFQ
SnowWhite607 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #108
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom
1. Point well take and no disrespect meant. Displaced NO residents.

2. That's the NY spirit -- don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!
Yep!

Eta: I don't think that people are trying to be negative when they use the term. It isn't a huge stretch from seeking refuge to being a refugee. (Vocabulary wise) educating rather than snipping would be a better way to explain it.

Last edited by Granny square; 02-11-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #109
lucas
°o°

Looks like we may have worked things out.

One thing is for sure, we NOLA people are passionate about our city.

P.S. I've never even heard of basil on a salad before this. Good thing, cause I hate the stuff!

Last edited by lucas; 02-11-2013 at 10:18 PM.
lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #110
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post

P.S. I've never even heard of basil on a salad before this. Good thing, cause I hate the stuff!
Born and raised here. Never had basil on a salad.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #111
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I used the term refugees and I'm on NO's side! We had plenty of NO residents move up here and they often refered to themselves as refugees. Or did at the time at least.

That aside, I used to think that blackened whatever was burnt too. Whatever it was, I never liked it. However give me some good jambalaya or shrimp creole or just some simple red beans and rice (with proper andouille sausage please) and I'm thrilled. Add in some good po-boys and barbecued shrimp and I might never go home.

It is possible to find well priced meals all over New Orleans. It's also true that a person can spend a lot. Just like WDW, it's good to research these things.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #112
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I used the term refugees and I'm on NO's side! We had plenty of NO residents move up here and they often refered to themselves as refugees. Or did at the time at least.

That aside, I used to think that blackened whatever was burnt too. Whatever it was, I never liked it. However give me some good jambalaya or shrimp creole or just some simple red beans and rice (with proper andouille sausage please) and I'm thrilled. Add in some good po-boys and barbecued shrimp and I might never go home.

It is possible to find well priced meals all over New Orleans. It's also true that a person can spend a lot. Just like WDW, it's good to research these things.
There was *nothing* blackened in NOLA when I was growing up in the area.

That just seems to be a technique that Paul Prudomme dreamed up. I don't care for it personally. It's not actually burned, it's the seasoning, then being seared. Just give me some of Mike Andersen's fried crawfish, bisque, or gumbo, and I'm a happy camper. Then, I'll finish off later with some beignets and coffee at Cafe Du Monde. Yum, Yum, yummy -- drool!! I made shrimp gumbo today with a dark, rich roux.

Someone in a post mentioned muffalettas - now that is one good sandwich!

Yep, NOLA is lots more than Bourbon St. The French Quarter is beautiful, the Garden District, and much more. It's a very unique city - none like it.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #113
Kaspar Houser
Mouseketeer

We stayed several nights at a hotel on Bourbon street.
Never again. We literately had to climb over the bodies from drunk people sleeping on the road. Not the curb but the road.
A six in the morning the shop keepers hose them away whit water. Those that are still on th street after this "party" are removed by the high pressure water hoses from the street cleaners also around six am.

Just to add that those people were not tourists but the " Couleur Locale " to put it mildly.
All this and the advise from the hotel manager not to go outside after dark made us decide not to go back.

Last edited by Kaspar Houser; 02-12-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Kaspar Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #114
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Chef Paul was one of my first loved cookbooks. Not blackened stuff but red beans and rice. And jambalaya. Totally unheard of in my life before that.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #115
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

HAPPY MARDIGRAS!!!!!!!!!! I'm on my way out of here for a Loooong day. Gotta love New Orleans.

P.S. I normally eat very cheaply. But, I know where to go and it doesn't include any place in the Quarter.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #116
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

I have been to NOLA 3X. I find the architecture to be unique and beyond intriguing.

How people cannot appreciate the city for its buildings alone amazes me I think it is a beautiful city.
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #117
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlur View Post
I for one am thankful to know about the basil on salads. While I've never tried it, and I do like basil in moderation, I think I'd be prone to ask them to "go light" with it, but I wouldn't know to do that if it weren't for this thread.

Otherwise, this thread is making me very, very homesick for a city I love and probably won't get back to anytime soon.
I'm glad someone is thankful I mentioned the basil on the Greek salad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post

I had never heard of basil being sprinkled liberally on a Greek salad before either. I LOVE Greek salads and have had a LOT of them in many different restaurants, in Michigan and other states as well, and New Orleans is the FIRST time it's EVER happened. I wish it would have stated on the menu that they add basil, because THEN I would have politely asked them to leave it off. But as I said before, I don't send food back so I ate what I could of it. Never thought it would actually make me sick tho.

And that same restaurant (the Gazebo Cafe, by the French Market) also sprinkled the basil on FRENCH FRIES! I just find that weird.

Quote:
Born and raised here. Never had basil on a salad.
Go to the Gazebo Cafe and you would.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #118
AtlantaSue
I'm so bad at multitasking
Someone told me that I should be able to just plug it in in my car

I think it was particularly bad timing to post such a thread title...Happy Mardi Gras to all!!! Wish I was headed to St. Charles right now.....But to respond back to the originally posed question, I, LOVE New Orleans and love Louisiana. Natives of both are passionate about their culture and where they live, not "sensitive" in my opinion. I am currently counting down the days until it's Springtime on the fairgrounds, and I'll be listening to Dr. John and John Mayer while eating Crawfish Monica. And it won't bother me if everyone there is from New Orleans.

For those interested, this is a really well done video from 2010 when the Saints were headed to the Superbowl. In case it doesn't open, it's from ESPN and is called "The Soul of New Orleans." http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4878457
AtlantaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #119
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
Chef Paul was one of my first loved cookbooks. Not blackened stuff but red beans and rice. And jambalaya. Totally unheard of in my life before that.
Paul Prudomme is a good chef, but was just pointing out that *blackened* anything is not south LA culture - that was his invention that *he* started calling cajun - to my knowledge it was not native to the area at all before him. If so, maybe some of my fellow south *Louisianians* can help me out.

Can't beat Louisiana style red beans, sausage and rice either. It's a staple with us and it's on my menu for Thursday this week.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #120
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
HAPPY MARDIGRAS!!!!!!!!!! I'm on my way out of here for a Loooong day. Gotta love New Orleans.

P.S. I normally eat very cheaply. But, I know where to go and it doesn't include any place in the Quarter.
Have a happy, safe Mardi Gras Epcot, eat some of that gooooood food for me too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: