Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #91
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question
 
PrincessKsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,137

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite607 View Post
You dont have to be rude........I dont think we are sensitive. But someone who comes to your city and does NOTHING that a typical tourist does and kind of goes off the beaten path when it comes to hotels, restaurants, attractions and then says "well, that was no good"......well, thats just nuts! I just know that this city has SO much more to offer than Bourbon Street and the French Market but it didnt sound like the OP did any of that . Just make a real concerted effort before coming on a message board and saying how terrible something is.
And any NYer would tell you to avoid the touristy stuff if you want to see what NYC is really all about. And if you didn't like NYC, no one would care.

And then you get nasty with Granny for no reason. Tell her what to do with her comment? Your attitude is giving NO more of a bad vibe than anything anyone here has posted.
__________________
7/79 - Off site; 7/80 - Off site; 11/98 - Off site; 1/05 - CBR; 2/06 - ASMovies; 8/08 - ASMovies; 8/09 - CBR; 4/10 - CBR

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #92
Granny square
Always planning a trip!
 
Granny square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,669

No kidding. I do touristy at disney. Otherwise, whether Paris, Boston or Nola give me a local perspective. I still can't wait to go back next January with friends.

I've only done NYC as a teen on a choir trip, lol, so would love to see the real NYC also.
__________________
wishing I was at the beach!
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #93
Granny square
Always planning a trip!
 
Granny square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,669

Omg I got hate mail from her! Over a message board post! That is crazy! No idea people did that kind if thing!

Not nice, snowy!
__________________
wishing I was at the beach!
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #94
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts
 
snarlingcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,641

You know, I think if OP had posted "I had a miserable time in New Orleans" and put it down to eating basil and being dragged to places she didn't want to go none of us Louisiana folks would've had had a problem. But her OP was very negative towards NO based on feeling sick because she ate basil and because got dragged around, which really wasn't fair to the city, so, of course we rushed to its defense, because we love that place; imperfect though it is, it is culturally unique in all the world and somewhat magical to us.
__________________
Our family:
DH Me
Our menagerie:
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #95
Granny square
Always planning a trip!
 
Granny square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,669

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote
You know, I think if OP had posted "I had a miserable time in New Orleans" and put it down to eating basil and being dragged to places she didn't want to go none of us Louisiana folks would've had had a problem. But her OP was very negative towards NO based on feeling sick because she ate basil and because got dragged around, which really wasn't fair to the city, so of course, we rushed to its defense, because we love that place; imperfect though it is, it is culturally unique in all the world and somewhat magical to us.
True. It was poorly stated. But everyone has the right to an opinion. her opinion was far nicer than the pm I got... So crazy defensive is just plain crazy.

Pointing out the things missed and your love for it is far different.

Lol, but I'm not supposed to have any business posting!
__________________
wishing I was at the beach!
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #96
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question
 
PrincessKsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,137

Big difference in the tone of a lot of posts on this thread. And that tone is what makes the difference. If so people didn't immediately get offended and accusatory maybe this whole thread wouldn't have taken the turn it did.
__________________
7/79 - Off site; 7/80 - Off site; 11/98 - Off site; 1/05 - CBR; 2/06 - ASMovies; 8/08 - ASMovies; 8/09 - CBR; 4/10 - CBR

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #97
ilovejack02
what do you all think?
 
ilovejack02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denham Springs, La
Posts: 7,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
Big difference in the tone of a lot of posts on this thread. And that tone is what makes the difference. If so people didn't immediately get offended and accusatory maybe this whole thread wouldn't have taken the turn it did.
I think some of us apparently got more offended than others LOL, but def gets your back up when 10 posts in someone starts talking smack about Katrina refugees . That is where threads about Nola go alot .. if you aren't from area, you prob would not notice or even care.
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #98
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question
 
PrincessKsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,137

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejack02 View Post
I think some of us apparently got more offended than others LOL, but def gets your back up when 10 posts in someone starts talking smack about Katrina refugees . That is where threads about Nola go alot .. if you aren't from area, you prob would not notice or even care.
Completely understand but that comment didn't come from OP or Granny, yet they seem to be the ones who are taking a thrashing in this thread for simply stating their opinion. I think many Katrina refugees got a bad rap simply because they were stuck in the middle -- no where to go, no money to get there and no government backing. They were hung out to dry. Unfortunately, I also believe that many were angry about that, and rightfully so, and may not have projected the best attitude (again, rightfully so). After having just been through Sandy in this area, I can completely see the pain, hurt, anger and despair people have been dealing with. That alone causes them to be someone other than they usually are at times. As much as this area is still devastated by Sandy, we are only fortunate enough to have had the help and support we do because you've all gone before us and, unfortunately, been the guinea pigs.
__________________
7/79 - Off site; 7/80 - Off site; 11/98 - Off site; 1/05 - CBR; 2/06 - ASMovies; 8/08 - ASMovies; 8/09 - CBR; 4/10 - CBR

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #99
ilovejack02
what do you all think?
 
ilovejack02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denham Springs, La
Posts: 7,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
Completely understand but that comment didn't come from OP or Granny, yet they seem to be the ones who are taking a thrashing in this thread for simply stating their opinion. I think many Katrina refugees got a bad rap simply because they were stuck in the middle -- no where to go, no money to get there and no government backing. They were hung out to dry. Unfortunately, I also believe that many were angry about that, and rightfully so, and may not have projected the best attitude (again, rightfully so). After having just been through Sandy in this area, I can completely see the pain, hurt, anger and despair people have been dealing with. That alone causes them to be someone other than they usually are at times. As much as this area is still devastated by Sandy, we are only fortunate enough to have had the help and support we do because you've all gone before us and, unfortunately, been the guinea pigs.
: ) all above is true , some deserve the rap , they act like that all the time, some were like you said in limbo and then others should not be lumped into either category .

Granny and Snow seem to be in the middle of their own issue lol , I had to go back to read and figure out how or what that was about. As far as OP , quite frankly I will continue to still think it is a bit crazy to start a thread about an area that you don't like , but ... blah blah blah , etc etc etc.


Stay calm and don't eat the basil folks.
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #100
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts
 
snarlingcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,641

.
__________________
Our family:
DH Me
Our menagerie:

Last edited by snarlingcoyote; 02-11-2013 at 07:09 PM.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #101
Pamlur
newbies DO get tags!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,182

I for one am thankful to know about the basil on salads. While I've never tried it, and I do like basil in moderation, I think I'd be prone to ask them to "go light" with it, but I wouldn't know to do that if it weren't for this thread.

Otherwise, this thread is making me very, very homesick for a city I love and probably won't get back to anytime soon.
__________________
Pam
Pamlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #102
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question
 
PrincessKsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,137

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejack02 View Post
: ) all above is true , some deserve the rap , they act like that all the time, some were like you said in limbo and then others should not be lumped into either category .

Granny and Snow seem to be in the middle of their own issue lol , I had to go back to read and figure out how or what that was about. As far as OP , quite frankly I will continue to still think it is a bit crazy to start a thread about an area that you don't like , but ... blah blah blah , etc etc etc.


Stay calm and don't eat the basil folks.
No basil zone
__________________
7/79 - Off site; 7/80 - Off site; 11/98 - Off site; 1/05 - CBR; 2/06 - ASMovies; 8/08 - ASMovies; 8/09 - CBR; 4/10 - CBR

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #103
Granny square
Always planning a trip!
 
Granny square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,669

Lol, all I did was say that people need to not worry about what others think about their beloved hometown. it doesn't mean anything.

Heck I'm ready for a haunted house visit! I like the city. In retrospect I can't think of many places I've visited., especially with locals, that havent had something interesting. But I adore history and everywhere you go there is some of that. And local cooking!
__________________
wishing I was at the beach!
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #104
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron
 
Disney  Doll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Too far from WDW!! :(
Posts: 28,760

Been to NOLA twice. I find it to be an interesting city. Love the history. Don't love the crowds on Bourbon Street so we did it once to say we did and then took other routes around the FQ to get us where we wanted to go while avoiding Bourbon Street.

Did all the touristy things....Jackson Square, the riverboat ride, the mall along the river, the nighttime ghost tours, plantation tour, swamp tour, cemetery tour, garden district. Ate at Commanders Palace and Antoines. Was lucky enough to be visiting someone who lived there, so we also ate at a lot of local places too.

Hopefully I did an acceptable amount of things to be able to be able to have an opinion about NOLA.

I wouldn't be opposed to go ing back but it's not necessarily somewhere I'm dying to go again.
__________________
Disney Doll
Prepare your child for the path, not the path for your child.
Stop telling your God how big the storm is. Instead, tell the storm how big your God is.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #105
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.
 
EPCOTatNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 1,942

2 things

1. There are NO refugees from New Orleans as a result of Hurricane Katrina! Learn what words mean before you use them.

2. If you don't like it, don't come back. We won't miss you.
__________________
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (7/2014 AKV) (2/2015 AKL/5 night Wonder*Miami*) (1/2015 AKV/BLT)



EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.