Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #76
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite607 View Post
I agree....wonder if the OP would think we were bashing if we started a thread titled "Who all thinks Michigan sucks?"
She didn't say NO sucked. She said she didn't like it and asked if anyone else felt the same.

Apparently, NO people are super sensitive.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #77
lucas
°o°

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
She didn't say NO sucked. She said she didn't like it and asked if anyone else felt the same.

Maybe you would be super sensitive about your home town, too?

Happy Mardi Gras!

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #78
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
Maybe you would be super sensitive about your home town, too?

Happy Mardi Gras!
If someone said it sucked, maybe. BUT...If someone said that they didn't like x or y or z about it...I wouldn't jump to it being bashing, just different strokes. Exactly what the OP was.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #79
SnowWhite607
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGrandma View Post
We did spend some time at The Cat's Meow. It was early so the karaoke host, and a girl that used to work there, were doing most of the singing and they were great. But. My stomach was starting to pitch and roll (from the basil covered salad) so I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have had I felt fine.

I still don't get why you keep saying I'm "bashing" NO. There were several things in my OP that I made good comments on, why don't those count with you?

And I can totally understand some people not enjoying Michigan. Heck, I live here and there are things I don't like about my state either (Detroit for one ). And I never said I didn't like Louisiana. I wouldn't mind exploring more of the state as I'm sure it has a lot of other GREAT things to offer. I just didn't care for NO, why does that bother you so much?

It bothers me because this is my home. You came here and didnt even bother to research any of the good touristy things, ate at some off the wall places and didnt do anything that screams "New Orleans" and then you talk on a public message board about what a terrible experience you had. If I went to NYC and hung out in a back alley in Brooklyn and then said "wow, I hate NYC" that would not really be fair since I didnt really "do" NYC. And I would fully expect people who knew better to come on here and tell me about it. Maybe one day you can try to do the city by yourself, without others who dont want to do that same things as you or who sway you to leave places that you really want to see. Do some research, do lots of touristy things, talk to some locals and really soak in the city.
1976-offsite, 1985-offsite, April 1986-AS Sports, 1990 - AS Sports, Dec 1998 - AS Sports, June 2005 with DD for the first time - AS Music, July 2006 - Caribbean Beach/Coronado Springs, July 2007 Poly, June 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge/Grand Floridian, Feb 2009 - Pop! June 2009 - Beach Club, March 2011 -Pop! June 2012 - Port Orleans FQ, March 2014 - Mother Daughter trip - POFQ, November 2014 - POFQ
SnowWhite607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #80
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

I like it but only as a single person that likes to party I don't consider it a family friendly place at all really and it would not be on the list at all for a family vacation IMO. Now a guys trip to party, absolutely. I do like it all in all, I just think its very neat and unique its almost like going to another planet, I like to watch all the freaks on Bourbon, but that's just me.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #81
SnowWhite607
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post

You dont have to be rude........I dont think we are sensitive. But someone who comes to your city and does NOTHING that a typical tourist does and kind of goes off the beaten path when it comes to hotels, restaurants, attractions and then says "well, that was no good"......well, thats just nuts! I just know that this city has SO much more to offer than Bourbon Street and the French Market but it didnt sound like the OP did any of that . Just make a real concerted effort before coming on a message board and saying how terrible something is.
1976-offsite, 1985-offsite, April 1986-AS Sports, 1990 - AS Sports, Dec 1998 - AS Sports, June 2005 with DD for the first time - AS Music, July 2006 - Caribbean Beach/Coronado Springs, July 2007 Poly, June 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge/Grand Floridian, Feb 2009 - Pop! June 2009 - Beach Club, March 2011 -Pop! June 2012 - Port Orleans FQ, March 2014 - Mother Daughter trip - POFQ, November 2014 - POFQ
Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #82
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator
I like it but only as a single person that likes to party I don't consider it a family friendly place at all really and it would not be on the list at all for a family vacation IMO. Now a guys trip to party, absolutely. I do like it all in all, I just think its very neat and unique its almost like going to another planet, I like to watch all the freaks on Bourbon, but that's just me.
What I do remember from my trip as a kid is that at least once a day we saw a guy whip it out and pee on the street. And some of these guys looked like they were on their way to a business meeting in a three- piece suit. The locals also told my parents to have me back in the hotel by 3 pm because that is when things really became adult oriented. I don't know if it is still like that, but I was there in the early 90's.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #83
tajz90
Mama D

I didn't like New Orleans either and while I enjoyed some of the experiences, it didn't make me want to visit over and over again.

We went to the aquarium. We ate at Pat O'Briens. We walked Bourbon Street. We took a vampire walk. We stayed at the Hotel Monteleone.

I can see why people would like NO, I just don't. I think the OP might be trying to express the same thing.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #84
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite607

You dont have to be rude........I dont think we are sensitive. But someone who comes to your city and does NOTHING that a typical tourist does and kind of goes off the beaten path when it comes to hotels, restaurants, attractions and then says "well, that was no good"......well, thats just nuts! I just know that this city has SO much more to offer than Bourbon Street and the French Market but it didnt sound like the OP did any of that . Just make a real concerted effort before coming on a message board and saying how terrible something is.
Oh my gosh! How many things must a visitor do to be given the right to say they do or don't like your city? Crazy.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #85
Southerngirl71
Mouseketeer

I was born in St. Bernard parish (borders New Orleans on the east side) and now live in Jefferson parish about 10 minutes from downtown. I am not a drinker and not much for crowds so I don't go to Bourbon Street at night. I could spend the entire day in Jackson Square just listening to the street musicians and soaking up the atmosphere or spend a lazy afternoon shopping on Magazine Street. There are areas that I avoid because I don't feel safe but I am sure that is the case in most large cities.
I recently went to NYC for the first time. I am glad I went and enjoyed it but it is just not for me and probably will not go back but I totally see the appeal to most people.

I think our best restaurants are little mom and pop places that are mostly known only to the locals. The best macaroni and cheese, gumbo and stuffed peppers I have ever eaten is at a little restaurant in Chalmette called Rocky and Carlo's. Chalmette is just a few minutes from downtown.

As everyone has said, it really does take lots of planning and you just need to know the things to avoid that will not appeal to you. I have family members who will not miss a Mardi Gras downtown and then there is me who who rather go to the much smaller parades in surrounding areas because I can't deal with the crowds.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #86
SnowWhite607
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl71 View Post
I was born in St. Bernard parish (borders New Orleans on the east side) and now live in Jefferson parish about 10 minutes from downtown. I am not a drinker and not much for crowds so I don't go to Bourbon Street at night. I could spend the entire day in Jackson Square just listening to the street musicians and soaking up the atmosphere or spend a lazy afternoon shopping on Magazine Street. There are areas that I avoid because I don't feel safe but I am sure that is the case in most large cities.
I recently went to NYC for the first time. I am glad I went and enjoyed it but it is just not for me and probably will not go back but I totally see the appeal to most people.

I think our best restaurants are little mom and pop places that are mostly known only to the locals. The best macaroni and cheese, gumbo and stuffed peppers I have ever eaten is at a little restaurant in Chalmette called Rocky and Carlo's. Chalmette is just a few minutes from downtown.

As everyone has said, it really does take lots of planning and you just need to know the things to avoid that will not appeal to you. I have family members who will not miss a Mardi Gras downtown and then there is me who who rather go to the much smaller parades in surrounding areas because I can't deal with the crowds.
Ahhhhh, mac and cheese from Rocky and Carlo's! YUM!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #87
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Lol, not showing that Nola happy happy! I've never heard anyone told they have no right to like or not like a city. Totally a hoot!

Or, god forbid, post it on a MESSAGE BOARD!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #88
SnowWhite607
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
Lol, not showing that Nola happy happy! I've never heard anyone told they have no right to like or not like a city. Totally a hoot!

Show me where I said in writing that she had NO RIGHT TO NOT LIKE NEW ORLEANS. Please. Now.

I said she was crazy to come on a board and say she didnt like it when she really didnt do anything "new Orleans like" but as far as the words YOU HAVE NO RIGHT, uh uh lady. You;re dreaming.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #89
lucas
°o°

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
I would consider NOLA to be family friendly. I was born and raised there. Growing up I didn't spend much time in the French Quarter. Just like now - I live 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and never go to the beach.

Quote:
Oh my gosh! How many things must a visitor do to be given the right to say they do or don't like your city? Crazy.
Maybe it was the wording of the title of this thread that got us defensive.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #90
ilovejack02
what do you all think?

Quote:

HAHA ! Silly Granny , you are a hoot too . If you read back I clearly explained my issue is with thread. : ) ... I don't love certain places, but I don't join a group inviting large amounts of strangers to discuss all the reasons we all dislike said area.

I also said, yes the FQ can be stinky and sticky and there are a bunch of drunks , as many have mentioned. Cant deny that fact one bit . If she doesn't like it , fine, I get it . I find it silly though that she did very little , came at the worst time, Super Bowl and Mardi Gras , doesn't like basil and didn't get to do much of anything she wanted to do because she allowed herself to be outvoted by family members . I wouldn't have enjoyed that vacation very much either lol, but wouldn't have started to discuss all I dislike about the area because the city didn't have a ton to do with why I didn't enjoy my vacation .

I would have started a thread complaining about my family members who took over my vacation , only to be told in thread by disers that I should have grabbed my husband and stuck to original plans instead of hanging out longer on Bourbon than I wanted to . : )

Happy Lundi Gras yall !! I'm hoping to catch a few beads tomorrow with friends between rain drops . Rain Rain go away !
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: