Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #31
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckmommy72 View Post
This happened to us in January on pooh, we walked up to use our fps just as the ride was reopening after a closure, and the cm at the entrance said to us that we should just save our fps and go standby cuz we'd just walk on. Well, there were 4 parties on front of us and we waited 30 minutes by the interactive honey screens as they would let everyone in fp line go, then 1 party from standby, then we'd have to wait for the line to get to a certain point before the cm would let anyone else go, by then the fp line would have built up again and 1 standby party would go after they all went. It was annoying because we had fps but didn't use them cuz the cm said not to (still our call, I know). I don't know if there were more fps in play or if it was people coming back to use theirs from the closure time period. Just our experience.
We had a similar problem on Winnie the Pooh last year. A short stand by line that took forever, as they would keep the FP line totally empty. I did send off an e-mail about how frustrating that experience was. They replied that they are always looking at and adjusting how they handle the lines.

Maybe if enough people complain they will really do something. Can't hurt to try.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #32
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso View Post
Yeah, I didn't even insinuate that they are ALWAYS off. However, something is seriously up if JC is a 1.5 hour wait on a level 3 crowd day. I was just trying to make people aware that this seems to be an issue right now.
That surprises me too. I don't think JC is a popular ride to pull a FP so they must be issuing too many.
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #33
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizziejane View Post
Also, I thought with the new Fastpass+ that you could only get up to 3 FP's in a day. So that means I can ride 3 times with a relatively short wait, and then the rest of the day will pretty much be a write-off. this new system is sounding less and less appealing to me everyday...
With FP+, you are apparently going to be limited to prescheduling three FP+s 60 days prior. It is not known whether additional FP+s will be able to be scheduled in the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Maybe if enough people complain they will really do something. Can't hurt to try.
It seems that this occasional problem is some evidence that they are doing something. That being said, as FP+ gets rolled out and the current FP system goes away (or changes to the new FP+ system, depending on how you look at it), this issue will change.

That being said, I don't for a moment see the problem as a FP+ thing or a problem with how they are issuing FPs or merging FP guests with the standby line. The only issue I see here is that the given wait time is incorrect. To me, this just highlights a known proble with how they determine line wait times. The problem with this method has always been that the data is stale by the time that it is retrieved as it only tells you how long a preious line-waiter had to stand in line. It is not completely helpful to know that the person who got on the ride ten minutes ago had to wait an hour because you have no idea how much the line has changed in the intervening 70 minutes.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #34
erinkpoole
Mouseketeer

We visited the first week of January and noticed when using our FPs at Space Mountain that they were loading the FP line into 3 out of the 4 trains. So 75% capacity to FP and 25% capacity to standby. The standby line was very short but they had to wait 90 minutes!

We rode SM three times and that was the ratio each time.
erinkpoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #35
sjreed
Mouseketeer

Our experience the second week of January this year was completely different. We found that posted wait times were exaggerated. I don't think we ever waited as long as it was posted. We followed Josh's Best Park Days (at EasyWDW) and he was spot on. I will say we encountered alot of mechanical issues. The worst of which was when we rode Pirates, the ride shut down while we were on it for 45 minutes. Wouldn't have been so bad except that our boat was right in the middle of the battle scene. They never shut the water bombs off, we were soaked by the time we got off!
sjreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #36
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

We are headed down in a few weeks and if I experience anything like this you can be sure I will make my voice (and opinion of FP+) loud and clear at Guest Relations.

Sarcasm....the body's natural defense against stupid.
Mad Hattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #37
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinkpoole View Post
We visited the first week of January and noticed when using our FPs at Space Mountain that they were loading the FP line into 3 out of the 4 trains. So 75% capacity to FP and 25% capacity to standby. The standby line was very short but they had to wait 90 minutes!

We rode SM three times and that was the ratio each time.
I can see this being the new normal once FP+ is completely rolled out. I don't see that as a bad thing. It would just mean that people are being 'pushed out' of the standby lines and into the FP lines. Thereby giving them more time to not wait in lines.

To me, this entire concept is only hampered by our thinking that the standby line is the 'normal' line while the FP line is some kind of rare benefit. If, with FP+, we are all pretty likely to be able to get a single FP for every ride we want to ride and have the ability to wait standby if we wish to ride a ride multiple times, I think that FP+ will be a huge winner.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #38
shademan
Earning My Ears

Those times you posted are awful! Don't worry if you forgot to go to Customer Relations. I'm sure a number of other guests didn't forget.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #39
sigepmike
Mouseketeer

We are here now and were in MK yesterday. We used FP for the bigger rides, but it seemed like the posted wait times on the others were accurate or actually too long (our wait was shorter). However, all of the posted wait times were a lot higher than I am used to at this time of year. Small World was 40 minutes at one point. So was Pirates.
sigepmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #40
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizziejane View Post
On the one hand, I can understand why they're letting the FP'ers through before standby - after all, the FP's can only be used during a limited window. However, why are they issuing so many FP's for that window?! are they not considering the stand-by's anymore when issuing FP's?

Also, I thought with the new Fastpass+ that you could only get up to 3 FP's in a day. So that means I can ride 3 times with a relatively short wait, and then the rest of the day will pretty much be a write-off. this new system is sounding less and less appealing to me everyday...
Once your fastpass has been checked at the beginning of the line and you enter the line, your time on the fastpass is no longer relevant.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #41
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Maybe thats where the all important flexibility of being able to change your plans in the park comes in. You get stuck in standby so long you miss the other things you had to schedule
Only if you own a smart phone which our family does not.
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #42
BEARCATS07
Mouseketeer

I know there have been reports that they have been trying to enforce the FP return time. For those of you that are there now or have been in the past several weeks is this still the case(I hope they are)? Also seems weird that they are giving out that many FP to make wait time be that far off.
BEARCATS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #43
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigepmike View Post
We are here now and were in MK yesterday. We used FP for the bigger rides, but it seemed like the posted wait times on the others were accurate or actually too long (our wait was shorter). However, all of the posted wait times were a lot higher than I am used to at this time of year. Small World was 40 minutes at one point. So was Pirates.

Scary! I think I'm in for some crowds in a couple weeks. I hope the wait estimates are correct - at least I can make an educated decision before getting into a line.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #44
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARCATS07 View Post
I know there have been reports that they have been trying to enforce the FP return time. For those of you that are there now or have been in the past several weeks is this still the case(I hope they are)? Also seems weird that they are giving out that many FP to make wait time be that far off.
There is no trying. They do enforce the fast pass return times. They started doing so last March.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #45
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mickeyfan View Post
Only if you own a smart phone which our family does not.
You still have other options. You could use a non-phone wireless device such as an ipod touch or you can use the in-park kiosks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: