Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckmommy72 View Post
This happened to us in January on pooh, we walked up to use our fps just as the ride was reopening after a closure, and the cm at the entrance said to us that we should just save our fps and go standby cuz we'd just walk on. Well, there were 4 parties on front of us and we waited 30 minutes by the interactive honey screens as they would let everyone in fp line go, then 1 party from standby, then we'd have to wait for the line to get to a certain point before the cm would let anyone else go, by then the fp line would have built up again and 1 standby party would go after they all went. It was annoying because we had fps but didn't use them cuz the cm said not to (still our call, I know). I don't know if there were more fps in play or if it was people coming back to use theirs from the closure time period. Just our experience.
No way would I have stayed at waited. I would have gotten out of line and used my Fast Pass after I saw how it was going.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
This would especially be the case with me if one of these extended underestimated standby waits caused me to be late for an ADR or FP return on another ride.

Ride breakdowns happen. But this is really getting to be far too common. Couple that with FP+ coming and the fact that many of us will be using standby more often, and it really becomes an important issue.
exactly, now are they going to make exceptions for you and allow you to enter late with your FP because you were held up due to a wait time that was totally off.. no, probably not. This is not what the FP should be all about. It is getting out of hand. If this is what it is turning into, they need to just do away with it. I hate to say this, (and I do love Disney) but it is almost as if they are trying to control our every move now...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
Sandy Fisher
DIS Veteran

Well, as I should have done before asking a question, I looked up the info on fastpass+ and I can tell you that we wouldn't structure our time at Disney so strictly (even with the option of changing our rides/shows) and guess it won't apply to us.
I'm still confused as to why people in the FP line would be given such an overwhelming percentage of the line boarding the ride. I know when they narrowed the fast pass return window and enforced it, the FP lines were longer sooner.
We pretty much only used fastpass on Soarin' and that was because we wanted to be sure to ride it twice (first time on standby at park opening) and didn't want to deal with a long line.
Not sure what's going on. We used FP occasionally when a ride was down and we had to come back later. In most cases it ended up the ride was down for an extended time and we gave those FP away because we didn't use them.
Sandy Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Fisher View Post
Well, as I should have done before asking a question, I looked up the info on fastpass+ and I can tell you that we wouldn't structure our time at Disney so strictly (even with the option of changing our rides/shows) and guess it won't apply to us.
I'm still confused as to why people in the FP line would be given such an overwhelming percentage of the line boarding the ride. I know when they narrowed the fast pass return window and enforced it, the FP lines were longer sooner.
We pretty much only used fastpass on Soarin' and that was because we wanted to be sure to ride it twice (first time on standby at park opening) and didn't want to deal with a long line.
Not sure what's going on. We used FP occasionally when a ride was down and we had to come back later. In most cases it ended up the ride was down for an extended time and we gave those FP away because we didn't use them.
They did not narrow the window, only started enforcing it. And many believe they started experimenting with maximizing the number of FPs they could milk out of they system on a daily basis, which I believe is the reason this problem started coming up more.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #20
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They did not narrow the window, only started enforcing it. And many believe they started experimenting with maximizing the number of FPs they could milk out of they system on a daily basis, which I believe is the reason this problem started coming up more.
I agree! They may very well be experimenting with numbers. They may need this information for the future when they go the next step and either sell them as Universal has gone to or when they do their tier system for the resorts.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
DizzneyDi
Mouseketeer

What I observed during my early December trip was that the Winnie the Pooh CMs were letting just one or two parties go through from the standby line, then closing it and letting long lines of fast passers through. It easily took us twice as long as the posted wait time to get on the ride. I'd never seen that happen before this trip and I assume it was because of increased numbers of fastpasses being issued. Not a good sign for the future!

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus -- Mark Twain

DizzneyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
720L
DIS Veteran

The Soarin fastpass line has always been like that, I don't think we've ever waited less than 15 minutes in the FASTPASS line. Very annoying.
(1988&1992ffsite) (1995:Dixie Landings) (1998: ASM) (2001:Disneyland) (2002:ASM) (2003 & 2004:Disneyland) (2005: POP) (2006: AKL & POP) (2007:POP,BC,CR) (2008: POP,AKL,CSR,ASMU,AKL) (2009: CSR ,POP,POLY,GF) (2010: DISNEYLAND DLH in June/ POP & BC in July/ POFQ for Thanksgiving) (April 1-8, 2011 AKL)(June 2011 POFQ)(October 13-16, 2011 Boardwalk) (June 2012 Disneyland/Carsland opening day!) (July 22, 2012-August 3, 2012 Disneyworld CSR & BC)(Christmas 2012 AOA)(:Spring Break April 2013 POP) (June 2013 AKL)(Thanksgiving 2013 Nov. 21-24 POP)(AKL!! June 2014)
720L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
Lizziejane
Funny how everyone is different
Then pack twice the cash, and you're good to go!

On the one hand, I can understand why they're letting the FP'ers through before standby - after all, the FP's can only be used during a limited window. However, why are they issuing so many FP's for that window?! are they not considering the stand-by's anymore when issuing FP's?

Also, I thought with the new Fastpass+ that you could only get up to 3 FP's in a day. So that means I can ride 3 times with a relatively short wait, and then the rest of the day will pretty much be a write-off. this new system is sounding less and less appealing to me everyday...
January, 2010 - BWV
January, 2014 - BWV - first trip for our DGD who will be 2!
Lizziejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #24
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

I was there 3 weeks ago (MLK weekend) and visited all parks except AK. All posted wait times were very close to the actual wait time, and the only FP line I waited more than 5 minutes in was TT.

I'm not disputing the OP's report, but they wait times aren't ALWAYS off.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
Notso
Mouseketeer

Yeah, I didn't even insinuate that they are ALWAYS off. However, something is seriously up if JC is a 1.5 hour wait on a level 3 crowd day. I was just trying to make people aware that this seems to be an issue right now.

WDW: 6/84 CR; 6/90 CR; 4/93 GF; 6/2003 GF Honeymoon; 2/11 Fabulous trip in Disney's Treehouse Villas! First time for the girls, and we even got to open the MK! 2/13 Wonderful Boardwalk Villas trip

Disneyland: 10/11, 11/12, and surprising our girls 7/13

DCL: 2014. My go-go-go self has to learn to cruise.
Notso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #26
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

^^^^ Thanks for the heads up OP, I guess I will need to bring my POC to the park the first day and see how well I can manage on my O2 supply. I used to be able to get by with 4 tanks for about 5 hours but if the standby times are not holding true, I may need to come up with a better way of touring

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #27
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

OP, have you considered sending an email? It may not be as effective as a visit to GR during the trip, but it's something. The suits need to hear these reports.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #28
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm8 View Post
^^^^ Thanks for the heads up OP, I guess I will need to bring my POC to the park the first day and see how well I can manage on my O2 supply. I used to be able to get by with 4 tanks for about 5 hours but if the standby times are not holding true, I may need to come up with a better way of touring
Do you use a GAC? It might be beneficial to you if you don't. It would be worth getting more information about them.

To everyone else if you experience this often on your vacation with no excuse such as ride break downs etc go to Guest Relations on your way out or when you have some down time and tell them about it. Mention how you don't think that it is fair and that you will not be spending more vacations at Disney if this is what it will be like from now on. Mention that you do use fastpass when available but that you don't understand how standby times are consistently wrong and that fastpasses are getting an over amount of prefered treatment. It helps if you can best tell them how many fastpass you personally saw let go for every standby. This gives them more accurate information than just saying it was unfair. I know there are stages to fastpass and on a medium day it should be 3 for 1 or something like that but say you don't think it should be 30 for 10 if the ration is 3 for 1. It should be more like 18 for 6 or 15 for so 4 that more single rider families can get in.

Last edited by wilkeliza; 02-11-2013 at 02:57 PM.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #29
tinawv
If I had a penny for everytime I wished to be in WDW I would be a millionare :-)

We ran into this exact same situation on our trip January 9-16th. When we first got in line for TOT the posted wait time was 20 minutes. That 20 minutes turned into 90 minutes. We didn't figure out what was going on until we got up to the CM and saw they were only letting 2-3 people in the standby line in to 20-30 people with fast pass. This also happened on Soarin and a few of the other big attraction rides. We usually do not get in standby lines unless the wait time is 30 minutes or less. Very disapointing to say the least.

tinawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #30
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This would especially be the case with me if one of these extended underestimated standby waits caused me to be late for an ADR or FP return on another ride.

Ride breakdowns happen. But this is really getting to be far too common. Couple that with FP+ coming and the fact that many of us will be using standby more often, and it really becomes an important issue.
Exactly what I was just thinking. It's one thing that the stand-by lines are taking a beating with fastpass and potentially fastpass+ usage. It will become more important than ever to accurately report how long that standby line is. Especially when I may have scheduled a fastpass for my QS lunch

Maybe thats where the all important flexibility of being able to change your plans in the park comes in. You get stuck in standby so long you miss the other things you had to schedule

Well.. we leave in 11 days and I will be sure to bring back my completely subjective report for you all
As you can see I am not thrilled with this development.

You have to wonder if they don't know this is happening or the plan is to annoy people so thoroughly that they'll be thrilled when Fastpass+ rolls out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: