Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Notso
Mouseketeer

Just back. Quick tip, for those going soon.

We had an amazing trip with great weather! The crowds were much much higher than the same week in previous years, but still manageable.

However, I wanted to warn anyone going between now and the new FP+ to be careful when riding anything standby. Especially in the magic kingdom. As others had mentioned, they seem to have upped the number of FP for every attraction, and let in roughly 1 party of standbyers to 10-30 FPers. We had wait times jump several times even on low crowd days. The worst was Friday morning when the 20 minute wait posted for jungle cruise ended up being about 90 minutes. The same thing happened during the EMH at space mountain last Sunday. We went in with a 15 minute posted wait and got on the ride over an hour later. Both the LInes app and the My Disney apps were consistently way off on wait times.

I've never experienced jumps like that before, or noticed them taking so low a ratio of standby riders to FP users. I'm hoping they get this under control with the new system, because we missed using a few fast passes due to the wait times being so very very far off!

WDW: 6/84 CR; 6/90 CR; 4/93 GF; 6/2003 GF Honeymoon; 2/11 Fabulous trip in Disney's Treehouse Villas! First time for the girls, and we even got to open the MK! 2/13 Wonderful Boardwalk Villas trip

Disneyland: 10/11, 11/12, and surprising our girls 7/13

DCL: 2014. My go-go-go self has to learn to cruise.
Notso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso
We had an amazing trip with great weather! The crowds were much much higher than the same week in previous years, but still manageable.

However, I wanted to warn anyone going between now and the new FP+ to be careful when riding anything standby. Especially in the magic kingdom. As others had mentioned, they seem to have upped the number of FP for every attraction, and let in roughly 1 party of standbyers to 10-30 FPers. We had wait times jump several times even on low crowd days. The worst was Friday morning when the 20 minute wait posted for jungle cruise ended up being about 90 minutes. The same thing happened during the EMH at space mountain last Sunday. We went in with a 15 minute posted wait and got on the ride over an hour later. Both the LInes app and the My Disney apps were consistently way off on wait times.

I've never experienced jumps like that before, or noticed them taking so low a ratio of standby riders to FP users. I'm hoping they get this under control with the new system, because we missed using a few fast passes due to the wait times being so very very far off!
This has been a suspicion of many for months now. Standby estimates that far off (and not in your favor) may even be worth a visit to Guest Relations to relay your experience.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Notso
Mouseketeer

Sadly, we are home now. Visiting Guest Relations never occurred to me, though I will say it left a bad taste in my mouth. For example, we will considering staying off property (though we love Boardwalk enough to make it a hard choice) from now on. Evening EMH's used to be a huge perk, but with only two hours, if you end up stuck in line for over half that time, it's hardly worth it.

WDW: 6/84 CR; 6/90 CR; 4/93 GF; 6/2003 GF Honeymoon; 2/11 Fabulous trip in Disney's Treehouse Villas! First time for the girls, and we even got to open the MK! 2/13 Wonderful Boardwalk Villas trip

Disneyland: 10/11, 11/12, and surprising our girls 7/13

DCL: 2014. My go-go-go self has to learn to cruise.
Notso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

We had a similar experience in January on a few rides, in the absence of break downs.

Soarin' posted 40 minutes, waited approximately 2.5 hours. Space Mountain posted 30 minutes, waited 80 minutes. Test Track posted 20 minutes, I left the line after 90 minutes as I don't care for the ride and was only there for my DH and DS. They gave up and left the line about ten minutes later.

We were there for a week and everything else was accurate, including those rides on different times and days. I hope that isn't becoming the norm and increasing as it gets closer to fastpass + time.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso
Sadly, we are home now. Visiting Guest Relations never occurred to me, though I will say it left a bad taste in my mouth. For example, we will considering staying off property (though we love Boardwalk enough to make it a hard choice) from now on. Evening EMH's used to be a huge perk, but with only two hours, if you end up stuck in line for over half that time, it's hardly worth it.
I can certainly understand that. In all my visits, I've been very fortunate not to hit an estimate that bad.

Hope your next trip goes better!
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

this absolutely terrifies me for our upcoming trip I hope this worked out before we go....

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!

Last edited by growinupdisney; 02-10-2013 at 02:15 PM.
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
DisGirl819
Then I thought about it and realized I'm crazy!!

Uhhh, wow I hope Disney works this stuff out by July. Otherwise, with heat and crazy lines I may not be a very happy person

DLR: 2010, 2009, 2008...back to first trip 1990
WDW: 1985, 1996, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
CSR, CBR, AKV-K, BCV, BC-CL, POFQ, WL, CR

DisGirl819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
saturn5
"To all who come to this happy place, Welcome!" - Walt Disney

I have noticed that. I work ODF in MK, and one day working in front of Space Mountain, I could not figure out why SM was a 90 minute wait. The park wasn't that busy that day. I would think WDW would want to get them out of line so they could buy ice cream and popcorn from me....Maybe new approach on things?

Walt Disney World Past Stays:
'98-Poly, '03-Caribbean Beach, '06-All Star Movies, '08-All Star Music, '11-Wilderness Lodge, '12 Pop Century, '13 Pop Century, '13 Saratoga Springs

Pin Trading since 2004
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
AR81
DIS Veteran

I have a trip planned in 10 days. So we should always do the headliners on fp only and the less popular rides ok with standby? I am trying to come up with touring plans and getting anxious. Not to mention, our last visit was 10 years ago!
AR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
Ckmommy72
Mouseketeer

This happened to us in January on pooh, we walked up to use our fps just as the ride was reopening after a closure, and the cm at the entrance said to us that we should just save our fps and go standby cuz we'd just walk on. Well, there were 4 parties on front of us and we waited 30 minutes by the interactive honey screens as they would let everyone in fp line go, then 1 party from standby, then we'd have to wait for the line to get to a certain point before the cm would let anyone else go, by then the fp line would have built up again and 1 standby party would go after they all went. It was annoying because we had fps but didn't use them cuz the cm said not to (still our call, I know). I don't know if there were more fps in play or if it was people coming back to use theirs from the closure time period. Just our experience.

DH Michael DS C (13) DD K (9)

March 2006 - Off Site
January 2012 - POR
January 2013 - ASMo
September 2013 - AKL (MNSSHP & F&W)
October 2014 - ASMu (14th anniversary trip)
Ckmommy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
This has been a suspicion of many for months now. Standby estimates that far off (and not in your favor) may even be worth a visit to Guest Relations to relay your experience.
I agree. If I saw this happening I think I would complain, and I normally dont but that would be very aggravating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
We had a similar experience in January on a few rides, in the absence of break downs.

Soarin' posted 40 minutes, waited approximately 2.5 hours. Space Mountain posted 30 minutes, waited 80 minutes. Test Track posted 20 minutes, I left the line after 90 minutes as I don't care for the ride and was only there for my DH and DS. They gave up and left the line about ten minutes later.

We were there for a week and everything else was accurate, including those rides on different times and days. I hope that isn't becoming the norm and increasing as it gets closer to fastpass + time.
I would be livid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by growinupdisney View Post
this absolutely terrifies me for our upcoming trip I hope this worked out before we go....
I feel the same way. I am planning a trip right now and the last thing I want to do is to run into this kind of problem. I use fast pass when we can, but if there is a wait time of less than 20 minutes sometimes we will wait, or ride twice. Hearing of this problem has me a little nervous.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I hope that people keep on posting their actual wait times versus what's posted. If these reports get to be a trend, I don't know if I can stand waiting for so particularly when we don't know that it will happen!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Sandy Fisher
DIS Veteran

Okay, we don't have any immediate plans to be at Disney soon, but I'm curious. Someone explain the "math" ?? There are a lot of rides we never rode anyway (fast pass or not) and I know we rarely waited longer than the posted time on standby and even more rarely enough that we got out of line. I'm not terribly familiar with the fastpass plus that everyone speaks of, so maybe someone can explain it -- in simple terms.
Sandy Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

I think if this keeps happening and many do end up complaining over at Guest Relations, eventually they will see the "bigger" picture of what is going on. I know when I go, if it happens to me on more than one attraction, I will politely tell them I do not appreciate going onto a line with a 20 minute wait to to only have it turn into a 90 minute wait due to only FP's being taken.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mickeyfan View Post
I think if this keeps happening and many do end up complaining over at Guest Relations, eventually they will see the "bigger" picture of what is going on. I know when I go, if it happens to me on more than one attraction, I will politely tell them I do not appreciate going onto a line with a 20 minute wait to to only have it turn into a 90 minute wait due to only FP's being taken.
This would especially be the case with me if one of these extended underestimated standby waits caused me to be late for an ADR or FP return on another ride.

Ride breakdowns happen. But this is really getting to be far too common. Couple that with FP+ coming and the fact that many of us will be using standby more often, and it really becomes an important issue.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: