Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

That storm caused a lot of problems. At least you got the insurance a lot of people are just out of luck.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post

Boy, I hope you can go on the other cruise. I would have thought you were safe by planning to leave so far ahead of the cruise.

Bobbi
That is the problem these days, less flights and the flights that are scheduled are full, so when cancellations happen it takes days to get on another flight.

We almost missed our cruise this summer, flights out of Toronto were cancelled due to thunder storms, but we got lucky and we got on the 1 flight that made it out that day. If that had been cancelled we would have been driving. as there were no other flights for 3 days, and this was to NYC where there was 12 flights a day on one airline.

Sorry for those who missed their cruise, it is disappointing for kids and adults too.

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
If you have trip insurance then in order to file with them you would need to cancel the cruise. I am hoping they cover issues with the weather since not all travel insurance does. Have you or your TA called them to find out if this would be covered? DCL doesn't have to allow you to transfer, so they are helping you out by not charging you a penalty, just the additional fare for the cruise you would switch to. If the insurance doesn't cover the weather, then the only way you can avoid losing everything is to switch and pay the additional fare.
This is not necessarily true. If their insurance covers their flights, they were already traveling, so this would fall under trip interruption not trip cancellation.

OP, I would definitely check with your insurance, and see if they will cover the additional cost of the new cruise. There should be *some* sort of trip interruption coverage, unless you bought the DCL insurance. It really depends on the circumstances, and the policy, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. If you bought DCL insurance, I think you've already gotten the best you'll get from DCL. Technically, unless you have their insurance, they don't have to do anything for you. Them offering to re-book you is actually much better than most people would get, and not a normal thing.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
enapolano
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple17

It was awful! Every time they announced another delay my daughter started crying. They kept telling us we would go so we held out some hope until they cancelled the flight. I'm so sorry you have to wait 2 months. We have had this trip planned for over a year and talk about it everyday. At least we can still go but the increase in fare stings. Good luck to you!
We waited 6 hours on the Tarmac thinking we would go. And then another 6 hours waiting for our bags. There were dozens of families on my flight all going on the same cruise. I know at least 4 never made it either. We all had booked over a year ago so really sucks to have to pay on top of the suffering we went through. But at least we didn't lose all our money so am thankful we could rebook.
Good luck and i wish you a much better experience when you go again! Disney will make it all worth it.
enapolano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
Maple17
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
This is not necessarily true. If their insurance covers their flights, they were already traveling, so this would fall under trip interruption not trip cancellation.

OP, I would definitely check with your insurance, and see if they will cover the additional cost of the new cruise. There should be *some* sort of trip interruption coverage, unless you bought the DCL insurance. It really depends on the circumstances, and the policy, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. If you bought DCL insurance, I think you've already gotten the best you'll get from DCL. Technically, unless you have their insurance, they don't have to do anything for you. Them offering to re-book you is actually much better than most people would get, and not a normal thing.

Sayhello
I am definitely going to try to get our insurance to cover the additional cost of the new cruise. May as well try. We did not have DCL insurance. We booked the insurance on our own.

I really appreciate DCL allowing us to rebook. Just wish the difference in fare wasn't so much.
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #21
Maple17
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
Did your airport close or would the airline not let you switch to another flight? We've had flights cancelled due to weather but Southwest put us on a later flight. They weren't all cancelled.

I'm sorry this happened & hope you can do the other cruise!!
There were no other options - I tried everything even asking them to put us on a partner airline.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #22
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

I hope the insurance company comes through for you. I think they'd be happy to pay the $1K instead of just cancelling and paying for the whole cruise.
It's not like you had flights the same morning of the cruise. I would think 2 days is plenty of time.

ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
Maple17
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enapolano View Post
We waited 6 hours on the Tarmac thinking we would go. And then another 6 hours waiting for our bags. There were dozens of families on my flight all going on the same cruise. I know at least 4 never made it either. We all had booked over a year ago so really sucks to have to pay on top of the suffering we went through. But at least we didn't lose all our money so am thankful we could rebook.
Good luck and i wish you a much better experience when you go again! Disney will make it all worth it.
Oh my, 6 hours on the tarmac, that's awful! While we were waiting in the airport the captain came to talk to us and told us that people had been sitting on the planes for hours, some threatening to sue the airlines! We waited forever for baggage too then couldn't get a cab or shuttle to leave the airport. Finally made it home 11pm last night. Wish you all the best too!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
DH6230
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple17 View Post
Please help! We were standed in the Toronto airport for 3 days and missed our Fantasy sailing yesterday. We left on Thursday for a Saturday sailing so should have had plenty of time. My TA called Disney on Friday to say that we would not make it. They allowed us to change to the Feb 23 cruise but we have to pay the difference in fare which is almost $1000. Is this what they would normally do? I have no clue. We do have trip insurance but kids are heartbroken so we'd like to rebook for them and bump our holidays and other plans back to still make this trip happen. The big thing is the extra in cruise fare - it is such a big hit - we booked the Feb 9 cruise onboard over a year ago so had a good price! Don't know what to do...any thoughts? Going at a different time isn't ideal as the kids have school break next week so we can still take advantage of that and they only miss 1 week of school. Help!
Bummer! Sorry to hear about your trip. We are also going on the Fantasy on the 23rd of February. There are alot of people from Southern Ontario going on that cruise. Hopefully you will be able to recover some of your money and have the greatest vacation ever! Good luck!
DH6230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #25
ARLENE1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple17 View Post
I am definitely going to try to get our insurance to cover the additional cost of the new cruise. May as well try. We did not have DCL insurance. We booked the insurance on our own.

I really appreciate DCL allowing us to rebook. Just wish the difference in fare wasn't so much.
I don't think Disney is doing you any big favor. They most likely had some availability on the 2/23 cruise and are charging you the going rate for that room. It's nice that they are allowing you to do that, but they are not losing a dime on that room. In fact, they are probably making some money on it now. But I agree with everyone else- GO FOR IT!!! You'll be glad that you did and so will your kids. I hope your insurance company does reimburse you for something. I wonder what would have happened if you had the Disney Insurance. Does anyone know? Good to know these things ahead of time. Have a great time on your new cruise and don't look back!
ARLENE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #26
Cheerio
Welcomed Guest
Has adorable photos in her signature...

enapolano, who is your insurance with? We're also Canadian (last year did DCL insurance, this year thinking about BMO Travel) flying out next winter and this scares me so much. Last year we flew out on Friday morning for our Sat cruise and it was perfect, but I know while major storms here are few and far between - it makes me shudder to think about it.
Disney Fantasy February 2014 - Trip Report (in progress)

Last edited by Cheerio; 02-12-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: