Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Maple17
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 77

Missed our cruise due to snowstorm!

Please help! We were standed in the Toronto airport for 3 days and missed our Fantasy sailing yesterday. We left on Thursday for a Saturday sailing so should have had plenty of time. My TA called Disney on Friday to say that we would not make it. They allowed us to change to the Feb 23 cruise but we have to pay the difference in fare which is almost $1000. Is this what they would normally do? I have no clue. We do have trip insurance but kids are heartbroken so we'd like to rebook for them and bump our holidays and other plans back to still make this trip happen. The big thing is the extra in cruise fare - it is such a big hit - we booked the Feb 9 cruise onboard over a year ago so had a good price! Don't know what to do...any thoughts? Going at a different time isn't ideal as the kids have school break next week so we can still take advantage of that and they only miss 1 week of school. Help!
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!
 
insureman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!
Posts: 1,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple17 View Post
Please help! We were standed in the Toronto airport for 3 days and missed our Fantasy sailing yesterday. We left on Thursday for a Saturday sailing so should have had plenty of time. My TA called Disney on Friday to say that we would not make it. They allowed us to change to the Feb 23 cruise but we have to pay the difference in fare which is almost $1000. Is this what they would normally do? I have no clue. We do have trip insurance but kids are heartbroken so we'd like to rebook for them and bump our holidays and other plans back to still make this trip happen. The big thing is the extra in cruise fare - it is such a big hit - we booked the Feb 9 cruise onboard over a year ago so had a good price! Don't know what to do...any thoughts? Going at a different time isn't ideal as the kids have school break next week so we can still take advantage of that and they only miss 1 week of school. Help!
Who did you use for trip insurance? Did you book the airfare with Disney or on your own?
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
sandrakit
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 129

Our friends had this happen to them last yr and they met the ship the 2nd day of the cruise in Mexico ! Their insurance reimbursed them the difference on the missed days . Did you try this ?

Last edited by sandrakit; 02-10-2013 at 11:04 AM.
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Maple17
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by insureman View Post
Who did you use for trip insurance? Did you book the airfare with Disney or on your own?
We have Alliance insurance. The airline is covering the cost for us to go back.
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Maple17
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrakit View Post
Our friends had this happen to them last yr and they met the ship the 2nd day of the cruise in Mexico ! Their insurance reimbursed them the difference on the missed days . Did you try this ?
No, our TA never gave us that as an option.
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 49,025

If you have trip insurance then in order to file with them you would need to cancel the cruise. I am hoping they cover issues with the weather since not all travel insurance does. Have you or your TA called them to find out if this would be covered? DCL doesn't have to allow you to transfer, so they are helping you out by not charging you a penalty, just the additional fare for the cruise you would switch to. If the insurance doesn't cover the weather, then the only way you can avoid losing everything is to switch and pay the additional fare.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013



DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
chateau
DIS Veteran
 
chateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 827

Switch... don't let mother (nature) get the best of ya!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
mstee777
Mouseketeer
 
mstee777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 201

What about taking a lower category room in order to reduce or eliminate the cost difference?
mstee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
enapolano
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2

We also missed that same cruise. Stuck in Toronto for 16 hours - it was so horrible and I really hated that I let my kids down and there was nothing I could do.
We had to pay $1290 to rebook and the first available date when I called yesterday was April 20!! So I'd say take feb. 23 if u can. I really wanted the closest date possible and we now have to wait 2 more months!
Crazy how weather can ruin vacations planned for years!
enapolano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 61,258



Boy, I hope you can go on the other cruise. I would have thought you were safe by planning to leave so far ahead of the cruise.

Bobbi
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
Maple17
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstee777 View Post
What about taking a lower category room in order to reduce or eliminate the cost difference?
A lower cat is not available. I asked about that.
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Maple17
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by enapolano View Post
We also missed that same cruise. Stuck in Toronto for 16 hours - it was so horrible and I really hated that I let my kids down and there was nothing I could do.
We had to pay $1290 to rebook and the first available date when I called yesterday was April 20!! So I'd say take feb. 23 if u can. I really wanted the closest date possible and we now have to wait 2 more months!
Crazy how weather can ruin vacations planned for years!
It was awful! Every time they announced another delay my daughter started crying. They kept telling us we would go so we held out some hope until they cancelled the flight. I'm so sorry you have to wait 2 months. We have had this trip planned for over a year and talk about it everyday. At least we can still go but the increase in fare stings. Good luck to you!
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
Maple17
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post


Boy, I hope you can go on the other cruise. I would have thought you were safe by planning to leave so far ahead of the cruise.

Bobbi
We thought we had allowed for more than enough time for travel delays. We are going to go, biting the bullet and kicking in the extra fare to make it happen.
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
Maple17
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
Switch... don't let mother (nature) get the best of ya!
I agree!
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 12,027

Did your airport close or would the airline not let you switch to another flight? We've had flights cancelled due to weather but Southwest put us on a later flight. They weren't all cancelled.

I'm sorry this happened & hope you can do the other cruise!!
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.