Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

iPhone 5 vs iPhone 4S

I am up for a new phone and I am considering going over to the iPhone, but if I do I am not sure if I should get the 5 or the 4S. For those who went from the 4S to the 5, was it worth it? What do you see as the biggest differences? Do you notice the difference with the 4G vs 3G? (I have a phone with 4G now)
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Pikezh638
DIS Veteran

I went from the 4G to the 5 and it appears the battery dies a lot faster, and the screen isn't as sensitive to touch.

2010 (July) Pop Century (December) Pop Century
2011 (October) All Star Sports (December) Carribbean Beach
2012 (January) All Star Sports (May) Pop Century
2013 (January) Saratoga Springs Treehouse (October) Saratoga Springs (October) Port Orleans-Riverside
2014 (January) Fantasy Cruise (January) Art of Animation (January) Pop Century
2015 (May) Magic Cruise
Pikezh638 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Pixie Dust for Me!
Anyone seen tink lately, I'm running a bit low on dust!

Inquiring minds want to know! I'm in the same boat (though I have the iPhone 4) and need to upgrade (existing phone is having problems with home button).

Thanks for any advice!

KC

We now get to hear "Welcome Home" since we are DVC members!!

Also see my DS at TheDuckStopsHere
Pixie Dust for Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

I have the 4S and considered changing to the 5 but didn't. I've since spent some time with a friend's 5 and now realize I made the right decision.
topolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
I have the 4S and considered changing to the 5 but didn't. I've since spent some time with a friend's 5 and now realize I made the right decision.
Why did you realize you made the right decision?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
topolino

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelch10377 View Post
Why did you realize you made the right decision?
I just prefer the iPhone 4S. The 5 is still a great phone, don't get me wrong, but I don't love the fact that it is thinner and longer. I know many people hold those out as improvements, but I prefer the size and weight of the 4S.

I didn't notice any lessened sensitivity in the touchscreen as another poster mentioned, but I have heard it reported by others, not just the pp.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just prefer the iPhone 4S. The 5 is still a great phone, don't get me wrong, but I don't love the fact that it is thinner and longer. I know many people hold those out as improvements, but I prefer the size and weight of the 4S.

I didn't notice any lessened sensitivity in the touchscreen as another poster mentioned, but I have heard it reported by others, not just the pp.
Did you notice any differences with the 4G vs the 3G? One of my concerns is that since I have a 4G phone now, I feel like I would be downgrading if I went to a 3G. I went from a Blackberry to a 4G so I don't have experience with a 3G phone.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
topolino

Quote:
Did you notice any differences with the 4G vs the 3G? One of my concerns is that since I have a 4G phone now, I feel like I would be downgrading if I went to a 3G. I went from a Blackberry to a 4G so I don't have experience with a 3G phone.
Yes, admittedly, there is a difference between 4G and 3G, and 4G is much faster. I agree that you might be disappointed going to 3G now that you are used to 4G. There is no question that 4G is much faster (depending on the service in your area, of course).
Old 02-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, admittedly, there is a difference between 4G and 3G, and 4G is much faster. I agree that you might be disappointed going to 3G now that you are used to 4G. There is no question that 4G is much faster (depending on the service in your area, of course).
Thanks! That is very helpful to know.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

I went from the iPhone 4--> the iPhone 5.
My dad went from the iPhone 3GS --> iPhone 4s

I know a bit about both phones.
As stated, the iPhone 5 has a battery issue. Most of the time, it varies from users to users. Its pretty fixable too, some issues were that they restored and older iPhone copy to iPhone 5, most had to reverse this and start fresh on it. I recently updated to 6.1, my battery has improved by 20% and it will last me the entire day just fine.

Iphone 5 is less sensitive. That is true too, but its barely noticeable. I had issues with typing my P and Q because they are on the far edge. once i got used to it, it was fine... the only time u can replicate this sensitivity issue is if you swipe up on the browser like 20 times really quickly, while the 4s will not freeze, the iPhone 5 will... other than that, its not noticeable.

So whats the deciding factor... the question really is, what do u do with your device? do u watch movies on it? Do u view the internet a lot? Do u multitask a lot? Are u willing to pay $300 for a brand new iPhone? if u answered yes to the last 4, the iPhone 5 would be a better choice. if no on the last 4, then the iPhone 4s would probably be better.

some things u may want to consider is LTE. LTE is long evolution, which means its most likely gonna be around for 4-5 years. 4G(aka 3.5G) will be around but its limited... so i guess im trying to say is that the iPhone 5 is better future proofing...
Old 02-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust for Me! View Post
Inquiring minds want to know! I'm in the same boat (though I have the iPhone 4) and need to upgrade (existing phone is having problems with home button).

Thanks for any advice!

KC
if ur phone is under warrenty, get it swap at apple store... if not, find a local cell shop and they can replace it... i had an issue with my home button and they charged me $45 for parts and labor...
Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #12
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
....One of my concerns is that since I have a 4G phone now, I feel like I would be downgrading if I went to a 3G. I went from a Blackberry to a 4G....
What kind of phone do you have now?

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #13
katiepants29
Earning My Ears

I hate telling people this, cause then I sound like a spoiled brat, but I have both the 5 and the 4s. I have Sprint service (unlimited data).

5 pros:
Slimmer and lighter than 4s
Larger screen
4g or LTE

4s pros:
Seems like longer battery life ( neither are great)
Can get all the same software as 5
More cases are currently available ( that's going to change soon through)

Just my opinion. If you are getting rotten battery life, make sure you are fully closing an app when you are done with it. You double click the home button and you open apps will show. Hold one down until they shiver and hit the minus button. It won't delete, just fully close. Not everyone knows to do this.
katiepants29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #14
Anne MN
DIS Veteran

Just my opinion. If you are getting rotten battery life, make sure you are fully closing an app when you are done with it. You double click the home button and you open apps will show. Hold one down until they shiver and hit the minus button. It won't delete, just fully close. Not everyone knows to do this.[/QUOTE]

Did not know this- my battery would drain- now I know why-ALL the apps that I have even looked at were open!

Thanks for the Tip
Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
katiepants29
Earning My Ears

No prob. Good luck!!
katiepants29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: