Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #31
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Early bird gets the worm...and no sleep!

Chapter 3: Early bird gets the worm...and no sleep!

Ok, before I start a barrage of photos, it's important that you know this was NOT a trip for taking photos. Not for me, at least. I took about 1800 shots this trip and although that sounds like a lot, it's not necessarily the quantity of shots that I take on a trip, but the quality. I realized very quickly that this trip was about spending time with my girl, riding multiple rides, laughing and enjoying the moment. There's not a lot of room for my photography in a trip like that. When I shoot, I have to focus on shooting, angles, settings, actually STANDING STILL! There was very little of that on this trip!

So, please don't judge my body of work by just this trip. Some of my other trips I felt I had more time to devote to getting the shots I wanted, this trip I sometimes just took snapshots! GASP!

That said...this update has so many photos, it won't even get us to MK before I run out of space for the post! This isn't the first time I have woken up and gotten early morning shots at a resort! I did the same thing at AKL in November and THOSE are shots that I adore.

So, onward...Wednesday, February 6th and after going to bed at 11:30, I was up at 3:30! I have insomnia and it's MUCH worse when in the World, so I wasn't really surprised. I realized that I had been spoiled at AKL with Rey, having that coffee machine (and balcony, and lush pool area, and, and, and...) but I spent some time writing in my journal, emailing Rey, and getting ready without my coffee. Then I headed out with empty mugs in my bag to take some photos without the BTGs around until the food court opened! I KNEW they wouldn't be up at this hour!

PoP is such a fun resort and I love taking night shots there. This was looking to the left, into the 70s section. We rarely ventured this way and always went to the right and down the stairs because it was quicker to get to Classic Hall.

The old water jet play area:

This was the first trip we spent time at the Hippie Dippy pool, both of our other visits we were closer to the quiet pools. The HD pool is FUN!

Ahhhh, I know I'm in Florida now!

The bridge to AoA! I had fully intended on exploring the resort, having a meal at the food court, but we just never found the time. This was as far as I got that morning, I didn't feel comfortable going over to AoA when Savannah was way back asleep in our room, I was worried she would wake up and come looking for me.

I headed back towards Classic Hall to get my coffee! I love that PoP opens the food court for at least drinks at 6am. This early bird cannot wait until 7am for coffee!

Yes! EMPTY. A far cry from what it looked like the night before. I thought they used to pull down a gate and close the gift shop, but this was pretty early and it was open!

Sun was coming up, so I headed back to the room to get my girl up and get to MK for our 8:10 ADR at Crystal Palace!

right below our building, looking down.

This was how close we were to Classic Hall. Yep, that's the smoking area, had to walk past it FULL of smoking teens every night, but I understand they have to put it somewhere! I used to smoke eons and eons ago in my teens/20s.

our room was up on the left about halfway.

I guess I could add a little ramble about PoP here. Pop was the first resort we stayed at when we came to WDW. We fell in LOVE. So colorful, fun, and completely DISNEY. We went back last Jan and I started to notice things I didn't before. A little dinginess, a little worn down, more crowded. I'm not sure if I just didn't notice before because I was in the MAGIC ZONE, but I noticed even more this trip. In fact, with the BTG crowd issues thrown in, I was less than happy with Pop this trip...BUT

...I realized that it was just as magical for Savannah. I remember when I was younger we used to go up to Wisconsin to this lodge. I spent every summer up there with my parents and when I went back with them as an adult, they were talking about how run-down it was and it just wasn't the same...well, I didn't see that. It looked the same in my eyes b/c I didn't notice all the little issues as a kid, just the amazing place I could roam and have fun at. It's this way for Savannah and Pop, so I made sure not to really mention the things I saw while we were there. She seemed just as taken by it as ever and I'm certainly not going to take that away with my subjective opinions! I'll always love Pop, but I don't know when we'll stay there again. It definitely won't be during tour group season!

Yep, I sure know how to drag out a TR! It's actually the photos that make the updates so short, they only allow 25 images and that includes smileys! Tomorrow...we finally make it to MK and it's as magical as ever!

Last edited by Twoboysnmygirl; 02-12-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #32
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Chapter 4: Ah, we're finally "HOME", we make it to Main Street!

I know, I just cannot do it! It's a compulsion to share more...kind of like the compulsion to keep going back to Disney. Your gain though since I have no self control, you get to hear more! I just wanted to GET to the MK! Just like when I'm there!

So, I got Savannah up pretty easily, although she didn't get much sleep, which would probably end up coming back to haunt us later! We were out the door by 7:10 and headed to the bus stop!

She was tired, but happy. Sidebar here: She is 12 going on 16 and doesn't like to BIG SMILE at the camera (although I did find some instances that cause big smiles, more on that later) so sometimes she looks annoyed when she's not. And sometimes she looks annoyed when she is! Having a mom in your face with a camera all the time can do that!

She brought her camera this morning as well! I haven't seen her shots, no idea if she got any of me.

We had to wait a while for a MK bus to come, but we busied ourselves with photos and watching the sunrise!

I was annoyed a few times that I didn't have a wider lens, but I had so many issues with the wide angle I rented on my trip with Rey, I decided I didn't want to mess with it during this trip. So we got a few fun shots like this.

Not really busy this early in the morning, lots of people headed to AK for EMH. We avoid those to avoid crowds, usually.

The bus arrived and we were on our way, but I was watching that clock! I was worried we would be late and we got off the bus and headed into MK at 7:55. I decided at that moment that I would rather be late to the 8:10 ADR than rush on Main Street! This is something we do every trip and every time I end up not enjoying that quiet time on Main Street and rushing because I don't want to be late for the ADR. This time we took it slow and savored it! Ahhh....my happy place!

Yes, the crane was still up, but I can remedy that pretty easily!

We had LOTS of photopass shots taken, I was really happy with them this time. I will have to wait for my disk for a bit (we did a share) for the actual shots. There were a few I LOVED that I cannot wait to share, but I did have them take some with my camera, which is the same camera they use in the parks, so you get to see similar shots at least! (awkward run-on sentence?
LOL)

So nice to mosey down Main Street, both of us snapping away!

Love this little alcove...never go down in it though??

Bakery being turned into Starbucks!

Ooops, just realized that I got rid of the big crane, but you can still see the crane from FLE on the side. Darn cranes! I'll have to fix that.

Up next...(and NOT today! LOL) Let's EAT!!! Crystal Palace breakfast.

Last edited by Twoboysnmygirl; 02-12-2013 at 07:07 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #33
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

What a great way to start my work day! Staring at awesome pics of my favorite place!! (and thanks for the laugh when you wrote tomorrow we make it to MK and then literally 5 minutes later...there's the MK post!)

Sorry to hear about POP not being quite what you remember. I have similar feelings about All-Stars Music. It was the first Disney resort I stayed at back in High School when it first opened. To this day, I still have super fond memories of it even though it's not as 'grand' as the other resorts.

I am pretty sure we are going to stay at AoA in November so I will explore for you! Although my pictures will not be as good.....

And please tell me you are joking about Main Street Bakery being turned into a Starbucks?

Anyways ,thanks for starting my work day off good! Only 9 months till my Disney vacation!!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #34
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
What a great way to start my work day! Staring at awesome pics of my favorite place!! (and thanks for the laugh when you wrote tomorrow we make it to MK and then literally 5 minutes later...there's the MK post!)

Sorry to hear about POP not being quite what you remember. I have similar feelings about All-Stars Music. It was the first Disney resort I stayed at back in High School when it first opened. To this day, I still have super fond memories of it even though it's not as 'grand' as the other resorts.

I am pretty sure we are going to stay at AoA in November so I will explore for you! Although my pictures will not be as good.....

And please tell me you are joking about Main Street Bakery being turned into a Starbucks?

Anyways ,thanks for starting my work day off good! Only 9 months till my Disney vacation!!
9 months! It's going to FLY! I say this to comfort myself b/c my phone is now telling me that I have 374 days until we go back!

Nope, not kidding about Starbucks. From what I have read, it will still have the Bakery look and the employees will still dress the same. They will also offer some of the Bakery favorites...but it's going to be a Starbucks. They have done this in Disneyland and I have seen pictures. It doesn't look TOO bad. I LOVE Starbucks, but don't want to see the Bakery/oldtime look gone. I can go to Starbucks anytime, I don't want it taking over my Main Street!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #35
luckylady
DIS Veteran

Great pictures of an EMPTY Main St. Bummer about the BTG at POP. I hope they wee quiet although if teens I'm thinking no.
Me Luckylady (53) DH (60) DS#1 (33)DD (25) and the "baby" DS#2 (23)
Old 02-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #36
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
Great pictures of an EMPTY Main St. Bummer about the BTG at POP. I hope they wee quiet although if teens I'm thinking no.
They were pretty loud (more on that later) but Savannah says I am exaggerating...I think SHE has Disney-memory...ya know, where you remember only the fabulous stuff!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #37
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Yay!!! an update!! MORE! MORE! MORE! Ok, fine. I'll wait not patiently for tomorrow.....ugh! I just want to tell you and Savannah what beautiful eyes she has! That picture of just her face is so pretty. I love an empty Main Street! I think I will be doing the same thing for our ADR to Crystal Palace. Wow, you really did have a good location room! I'm thinking by your little hints here and there (the dingy-ness of POP) that you have another resort in mind for 2014! Yep....can't get by me... I think you are going to join Erin and me for a late August 2014 trip at POR! Yep....that's my prediction!! Did you take pics of the inside of the room? Did you get a towel animal?? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #38
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Karen, your pictures are beautiful, as always. So please, tell an amateur like me, what the difference is between the pictures you usually take, and a ďsnapshotĒ? Iím guessing that is when you just get something in the viewfinder and go CLICK! Those are the pictures I take Your pictures are making me all wishy washy because now I want to stay at POP! I keep going back and forth between there and POR, but I love the dťcor in the 70ís section! Iím sorry that POP didnít live up to your memories of it, but Iím glad that Savannah loved it there Oh, and I absolutely LOVE the last picture of the castle you posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
I'm thinking by your little hints here and there (the dingy-ness of POP) that you have another resort in mind for 2014! Yep....can't get by me... I think you are going to join Erin and me for a late August 2014 trip at POR! Yep....that's my prediction!! Did you take pics of the inside of the room? Did you get a towel animal?? Inquiring minds want to know.

I didnít realize I had a trip for August 2014 planned alreadyÖ but Iím game! Who am I kidding? You know I am already scoping out dates for next year! If my calculations are correct, I believe you will be arriving in WDW on my birthday next year, Karen! I wonít say the date because I wonít spoil your big reveal, but I am almost positive I am right! And, if so, you must take me with you!

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #39
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
Yay!!! an update!! MORE! MORE! MORE! Ok, fine. I'll wait not patiently for tomorrow.....ugh! I just want to tell you and Savannah what beautiful eyes she has! That picture of just her face is so pretty. I love an empty Main Street! I think I will be doing the same thing for our ADR to Crystal Palace. Wow, you really did have a good location room! I'm thinking by your little hints here and there (the dingy-ness of POP) that you have another resort in mind for 2014! Yep....can't get by me... I think you are going to join Erin and me for a late August 2014 trip at POR! Yep....that's my prediction!! Did you take pics of the inside of the room? Did you get a towel animal?? Inquiring minds want to know.
Can you believe we didn't get any towel animals??? First time ever. I think it's b/c Savannah didn't bring any stuffed animals and it may have looked to the mousekeepers like there weren't any little kids in the room??? I left tips! :shrug I didn't take any pics of the room because it was identical to the pics I took in my Jan. 2012 TR when we stayed at Pop! I'll tell Savannah you like her eyes! I like them too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
Karen, your pictures are beautiful, as always. So please, tell an amateur like me, what the difference is between the pictures you usually take, and a ďsnapshotĒ? Iím guessing that is when you just get something in the viewfinder and go CLICK! Those are the pictures I take Your pictures are making me all wishy washy because now I want to stay at POP! I keep going back and forth between there and POR, but I love the dťcor in the 70ís section! Iím sorry that POP didnít live up to your memories of it, but Iím glad that Savannah loved it there Oh, and I absolutely LOVE the last picture of the castle you posted!

LOL...well, a snapshot is when I just snap a wide angle shot of whatever is there, no thinking about filling the frame, lighting, composing the shot, etc. I usually put some thought into my shots and what they look like, so to just snap a picture seems rushed to me. I didn't want to spend time on photography when I was having fun with Savannah, so I feel like I got quite a few snapshots! Pop is fantastic for kids, I know your kids would LOVE it, but we'll see how you feel when I get to the pics I got of POFQ (yep, I got a few when we were passing through the resort...stay tuned for those!)

I didnít realize I had a trip for August 2014 planned alreadyÖ but Iím game! Who am I kidding? You know I am already scoping out dates for next year! If my calculations are correct, I believe you will be arriving in WDW on my birthday next year, Karen! I wonít say the date because I wonít spoil your big reveal, but I am almost positive I am right! And, if so, you must take me with you!
Ooooh, your birthday!!! I'm not sure if I put the date we would actually head town to Florida or the date of the Princess Half, but that is when we intend on going! Feb. 21st, 2014 and the half marathon is on Sunday Feb. 23rd!!! I'm excited and terrified at the same time. Feel free to come cheer for me!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #40
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Ooooh, your birthday!!! I'm not sure if I put the date we would actually head town to Florida or the date of the Princess Half, but that is when we intend on going! Feb. 21st, 2014 and the half marathon is on Sunday Feb. 23rd!!! I'm excited and terrified at the same time. Feel free to come cheer for me!
OK, thatís what I kinda thought you meant by snapshots! Well, they are amazing to me! I canít wait to see the pics from POFQ! AndÖ I was right! 2/21 is my birthday! Who knows? Maybe next year will be the year I take a birthday trip!

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #41
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
I didnít realize I had a trip for August 2014 planned alreadyÖ but Iím game! Who am I kidding? You know I am already scoping out dates for next year!
You couldn't even write that with a straight face, could you, Erin? Of COURSE you are planning for 2014!!! You certainly ain't foolin' anyone here!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #42
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
[COLOR="Green"]Ooooh, your birthday!!! I'm not sure if I put the date we would actually head town to Florida or the date of the Princess Half, but that is when we intend on going! Feb. 21st, 2014 and the half marathon is on Sunday Feb. 23rd!!! I'm excited and terrified at the same time. Feel free to come cheer for me!
Erin, I do believe that was an "official" invite from Karen!!! Now we just have to wait for her resort of choice....hmmm.....do you think maybe it's POFQ????
Old 02-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #43
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98

Erin, I do believe that was an "official" invite from Karen!!! Now we just have to wait for her resort of choice....hmmm.....do you think maybe it's POFQ????
Oh so many to choose from Ann, but we are pretty certain we have picked one! I'm not going to tell you yet though! Neener!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #44
BamaGirl
Mouseketeer

I am enjoying your trip report and can 't wait to read more!

WDW Commando Member #123

Old 02-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #45
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Thank yo! Thank you! Thank you...for giving in to all of our enabling! Now that my trip is officially booked and you are just back with wonderful pictures and a fun-to-read report I am "homesick" for my favorite place!

I am love love loving all your wonderful pictures. I understand what you mean about snapshots vs. photographs. Unfortunately, DBF and I share our talents/skills but not necessarily in a good way. I tend to have a good eye for framing the shot, composition, etc. but I am often at a loss when it comes to camera settings. DBF on the other hand has the technical aspect of the camera and settings down pretty well, but sometimes his composition isn't as great (or at lease not what I had in mind). We work well together, so sometimes I'm telling him to get a certain shot and most times it comes out close to what I was hoping for. He's the one with the fancy DSLR and I have the fancy point and shoot model a step down from a DSLR.

I can't wait to get down there and take some pictures. BTW...I am loving the empty Main Street. I don't think we will be doing any in park early ADR's but this sure makes me want to.

************************************************** ****************************************
June 1984:Offsite - June 1986:Offsite - July 1989:Contemporary - August 1992:Dixie Landings - June/July 2006:Offsite -
October 2011:All-Star Movies - October 2013:Bay Lake Tower(Lake View) - February 2014:Old Key West

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: