Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 AM   #1
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

Direct sales question

I'm trying to find a direct sales job that's worth the hassle. Here are the ones that are so popular in my area that they aren't worth it:
Thirty-One, Longaberger, Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple, Scentsy, Park Lane. It seems that so much is WAY to expensive to buy to be practical. Any different suggestions?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
gjl
Mouseketeer

I would have said Thirty-One as that's what my wife does (and successfully), but you said your area is overpopulated with consultants!

My sister in law does Rodan and Fields. Skincare products made by the makers of Proactiv. PM me if you want her information.
gjl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
cinmouse
Mouseketeer

I did Creative Memories for a bit, but really for the discount.
cinmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Don't do it. Your friends and family will come to hate you.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
jgreco
Mouseketeer

A friend of mine is just getting into Origami Owl, the products are very inexpensive and is a new company.
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Don't do it. Your friends and family will come to hate you.
I agree. It isn't that certain brands/products are saturated. The problem is that there are so many of these home parties going on that people are tired of being invited to things to spend money. So it doesn't matter if you are the only rep in your area for that particular brand or product. Since the market is so oversaturated with home party reps, a lot of people are not going to buy from you because they already spent their discretionary money at other parties.

And they are going to be mad at their "friends" who only invite them over to a party where they are expected to spend money (even when they say you don't have to buy anything, just come to socialize and eat...)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
I agree. It isn't that certain brands/products are saturated. The problem is that there are so many of these home parties going on that people are tired of being invited to things to spend money. So it doesn't matter if you are the only rep in your area for that particular brand or product. Since the market is so oversaturated with home party reps, a lot of people are not going to buy from you because they already spent their discretionary money at other parties.

And they are going to be mad at their "friends" who only invite them over to a party where they are expected to spend money (even when they say you don't have to buy anything, just come to socialize and eat...)
I totally agree, I hate to be invited/pressured into going to any of these type of "parties". They all sell overpriced junk at huge markups. I make it a rule to never attend any of these parties no matter who is hosting or what the product is.

mombrontrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
gjl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
I totally agree, I hate to be invited/pressured into going to any of these type of "parties". They all sell overpriced junk at huge markups. I make it a rule to never attend any of these parties no matter who is hosting or what the product is.
How do you know it's all "JUNK" if you never attend any parties? You certainly don't have to attend, but you also don't have to offend those that sell telling them all their stuff is JUNK!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjl

How do you know it's all "JUNK" if you never attend any parties? You certainly don't have to attend, but you also don't have to offend those that sell telling them all their stuff is JUNK!
I agree. I've never been involved on those sales apart from buying FYI, and I have never been pressured in any way. I am still using the creative memories scrapbook stuff, some pampered chef stuff, and I still wish I could've bought this one party lite thing! I don't find those thing to be junk, and I can't find equivalents anywhere else for what I bought and the quality of them, so there's no prove to compare it to. So I can't call it overpriced.

And I have never resented friends for inviting me to the parties. I thought it was lovely to spend some time with new people like that.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
dmiller64152
Mouseketeer

If you're into cosmetics, a friend of mine does BeautiControl. The products are so good (albeit pricey) that people book parties all the time. She is a SAHM, her husband is an engineer, and she makes more than he does! Also ... again on the higher end ... have you looked at Silpada? Their stuff is fabulous and I know a lot of women here in Kansas City (where the company started) who have become very wealthy with it. If you have connections who can afford it, surely it would be better to sell one item and make a hundred bucks than to have to sell two dozen geegaws.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGirl

I have worked for another ds company so i can understand your comment but I beg to differ with my company. I had an $800 party at Christmas. I took home $360. Not all ds companies are created the same. They all have different compensation plans.
Off topic, but Bamagirl love your name and picture! Our DS is geaded to Bama this fall!!!! Roll Tide!
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I don't think the stuff is all junk. I've gotten a lot of good products from the parties. It is just the quantity of parties in some areas of the country that are getting out of hand.

It used to be that the direct sales parties were a new, fun way to get together with friends and see some unique products that you couldn't find in stores. Now (in my area at least) it has gotten to the point where people only have get-togethers because they have a friend that is a rep for something and they feel pressure to have a party to support their friends. And the backlash is that people are refusing to go to any parties because they don't have the money, or don't want to get added to the party circuit and feel obligated to go to every party.

I'm sure in some areas people can still have fun and make good money. But the OP said in their post that there are lots of reps for some of the major brands in the area. So even having a really great unique new product may not be enough if people are tapped out financially or just plain tired of the parties.

Last edited by StitchesGr8Fan; 02-10-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
StitchesGr8Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
BamaGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEVILdrPorkchop2u View Post
Off topic, but Bamagirl love your name and picture! Our DS is geaded to Bama this fall!!!! Roll Tide!
Thanks! ROLL TIDE!!

WDW Commando Member #123

BamaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
gjl
Mouseketeer

Stitches- that makes more sense. Party overload on the customer isn't good for any Direct Seller!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

A newer company that seems to be doing well is It Works. They sell body wraps, greens, defining gel, etc. I've seen some amazing before & after photos and am very tempted to try a wrap!

Also, if you have the confidence for it, Passion Parties or Slumber Parties reps do very well. Those parties are a hoot!

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: