Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #46
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

My heart goes out to you. My mother and grandfather both went through this when they were going through their chemo. It is so hard to watch.

Is there anything that is a 100 percent yes he will eat it if offered? If there is at least once a week sit down with him and have that meal with him. It will help relieve you of your guilt because you are sharing a meals with him at some point but for the rest of the week you can prepare things you like and know you will enjoy. For my grandpa it was pizza from this one restaurant. I always found it weird because the 23 years I knew my grandfather he never ate order in pizza and then all the sudden it was all he ate the last year of his life.

Also if you don't have a family counselor it is probably time to find one and start seeing one. I know for me I found the sessions so freeing because I could say whatever I needed to with out feeling like I was being judged. I could cry to someone who I knew genuinely cared about me and could help me through the emotions of what was going on.

At the end of the day love him and take care of him but also watch out for yourself. You have to come first at some point and not feel guilty about it.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #47
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

I am so sorry for your struggle. Caregivers go through so much, and so seldom have the support they need.

I will truly say I can't imagine your situation, and this is so much more for you, including the companionship of sharing a wonderful meal you've prepared. But thought I might pass on one thing that has helped us during my current scent/food aversion problems related to pregnancy. Poor DH has just gotten left behind -- having to fend for himself, which means a lot of frozen meals, sandwiches, etc. Poor guy even had to switch to tea b/c if I smell coffee....oooooph. So he has taken to using the grill a lot. I know, it's FEBRUARY, so it's not great. But he can make a lot more things than he would not have been able to in here (even though he occasionally has to sit inside with the shades open to watch the grill due to the weather). He's had fish, all kinds of meat dishes, grilled veggies, even a pizza. Technically, with the gas grill, he could even cook things in a pot like stew or beans out there. If you have a covered porch, you could even use your crock pot or an electric griddle/pan outside.

I know it's not ideal, but when smells are an issue...well, it has helped us anyway.

Best wishes to you and your family.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #48
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

It's great that you come here to vent and I absolutely understand that you have many reasons to do so. If I could gently say that maybe your plate has been running over for a long time and you might want to consider setting up with a professional to talk some of this stuff out? I'm not suggesting that to be nasty or say, hey, don't talk about that here. By all means, vent away. It's good to get it out. I'm just saying maybe it's time you truly made an effort to treat yourself more kindly and improve things for yourself in a solid way.

I do wish you well and hope I'm not offending you.
cabanafrau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #49
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanafrau
It's great that you come here to vent and I absolutely understand that you have many reasons to do so. If I could gently say that maybe your plate has been running over for a long time and you might want to consider setting up with a professional to talk some of this stuff out? I'm not suggesting that to be nasty or say, hey, don't talk about that here. By all means, vent away. It's good to get it out. I'm just saying maybe it's time you truly made an effort to treat yourself more kindly and improve things for yourself in a solid way.

I do wish you well and hope I'm not offending you.
No offence taken. I had a good therapist but she moved away about 18mon ago. I prolly doi need to find another one.

Y'all are never going to believe what DH wants for lunch. Gumbo! So now I'm off to find a restaurant that has decent gumbo!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: