Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
peyjax
DIS Veteran

Recommendations for British Columbia?

Anyone from BC or have recommendations on must see or do things in the Vancouver area. Traveling to Victoria for wedding and looking for ideas for the family. We are a young family so a lot of activities would not work like kayaking and horse back riding etc. It is far for us so we would want to see some of big hits. All I have is whale watching so ideas would be greatly appreciated.
peyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
plutotek
DIS Veteran

There's Butchart Gardens, the miniature museum at the Empress, and Anne Hathaway's cottage. Not sure how young your kids are, but there aren't a lot of things for the younger crowd. Unfortunately, last time I checked, the exchange rate was almost even w/the US. When DS was younger, he always got a kick out of buying something for $10 Canadian, giving the cashier a $10 US bill and getting change back.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
bekkiz
DIS Veteran

Stanley Park in Vacouver is fabulous, my kids loved the aquarium there.

I've also visited Grouse Mountain and the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Both are pretty interesting, and good places for little ones to run around at.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
disykat
DIS Veteran

When our kids were young, we really enjoyed spending time in the Parksville area of Vancouver Island. Miles of beaches with shallow warm water, easy hikes to see waterfalls and large trees, family oriented entertainment like mini-golf, etc.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
ferris198
DIS Veteran

You should post this on the Canadian board too
ferris198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Love British Columbia - I second the Aquarium, Butchart Gardens, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Royal Mueseum, Zoo, just a few. So much to see and do for families - Trip Advisor has some great ideas and reviews.
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

If you are going to Victoria, I would drive up to the Tofini area. The drive is a little long, but very beautiful. You drive through rain forests. The beaches are a lot nicer on that side of the island than on the Parksville side. I find the beaches kind of rocky on the east side if the island. Also in Victoria make sure you check out fisherman's wharf. It is very cool.

If you do make it out to the main land, then I would suggest driving up to Whistler, very nice up there. I guess it all depends on how long you are in Victoria for. There is so much to do, you won't have time for all of it. We have been to Vancouver and the island numerous times and we still are finding new things to do and see.

Last edited by clarkshel; 02-12-2013 at 11:04 AM.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
peyjax
DIS Veteran

Thanks to all for the suggestions! Please keep them coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
If you are going to Victoria, I would drive up to the Tofini area. The drive is a little long, but very beautiful. You drive through rain forests. The beaches are a lot nicer on that side of the island than on the Parksville side. I find the beaches kind of rocky on the east side if the island. Also in Victoria make sure you check out fisherman's wharf. It is very cool.

If you do make it out to the main land, then I would suggest driving up to Whistler, very nice up there.
What would be your thoughts on actually driving to Jasper/Banf area. Thinking we could make a road trip tour of it. Leave Vancouver head to Kamloops then to Jasper/Banf then back to Vancouver then on to Victoria island for 3 days or so.
To be honest after watching the Canadian show Heartland that is always the place I wanted to see in Canada. Am I crazy? Does Whistler give you just as nice of views?
We did travel from Disneyland to Yosemite last year with the kids and it was not bad at all.
peyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyjax
Thanks to all for the suggestions! Please keep them coming.

What would be your thoughts on actually driving to Jasper/Banf area. Thinking we could make a road trip tour of it. Leave Vancouver head to Kamloops then to Jasper/Banf then back to Vancouver then on to Victoria island for 3 days or so.
To be honest after watching the Canadian show Heartland that is always the place I wanted to see in Canada. Am I crazy? Does Whistler give you just as nice of views?
We did travel from Disneyland to Yosemite last year with the kids and it was not bad at all.
It would take you a day to get to banff from Vancouver, another 3 or 4 hours from Victoria. Jasper is another 4 hours from banff. The road through the ice fields is very beautiful. If you want this as your plan, then I would suggest to leave it towards the end of your trip. Then fly home from Calgary instead of Victoria. Calgary is only 90 minutes from banff. Whistler does give you very nice views. IMO, it doesn't compare to the views you get on the highway to Jasper from banff. Actually it is a beautiful drive right from revelstoke BC to Banff or jasper. You will go through revelstoke if you are driving. You will drive through two national parks going to Banff, Glacier and Banff national parks. You will drive through jasper national park when you go to jasper.

Another option, I you are under time constraints, would be to hit Banff, and then dive to the Columbia Icefields, on your way to jasper. Then not continue to Jasper, and go back to Banff. If you do go to Banff. Make sure you check out the Banff Springs hotel, it is incredible. Also Sulphur mountain, which has a gondola ride to the top of the mountain. You can google all of this to get a better idea than what I can explain on here. Enjoy whatever you decide and take your time, you'll live it out here.

Last edited by clarkshel; 02-12-2013 at 12:04 PM.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post

If you do make it out to the main land, then I would suggest driving up to Whistler, very nice up there. I guess it all depends on how long you are in Victoria for. There is so much to do, you won't have time for all of it. We have been to Vancouver and the island numerous times and we still are finding new things to do and see.
Tofino is beautiful - it is the ocean. The coast along the inland side of the island is not open ocean. The reason we liked it for small children was that it is not open ocean, it's extreme tides make for great wading, floating around on air mattresses etc. Very different from an ocean beach IMO. Go to Tofino if you're looking for scenery, Parksville if you're vacationing with very young kids who just want to dig in the sand and paddle in the water.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: