Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Tink3815
Mouseketeer

Love Disney- Will I like the Dollywood amusement park in TN?

Thinking about going in early April. Two adults in their 50’s, who do not enjoy thrill rides anymore. Website says Festival of Nations will be going on at that time. We do enjoy history and crafters. Will there be enough to justify the 100.00 to get in.
Thanks for any input you can give
Old 02-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Great thread. We are headed there this summer with two teens and we all do like the thrill rides.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

I love Disney and I did enjoy Dollywood when DH and I went a few years ago. We didn't care about many of the rides, but found plenty to keep us interested and enjoying the park.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Straitlover
DIS Veteran

Yes you will. I could spend most of the day just watching the craftspeople, riding the train and watching the eagles.

On your first day, if you go after 3PM, you get the next day free! A great way to get a little extra time for no cost.

I am hoping to amke it there soemday for the Festival of Nations. Post back how it was. Have a great trip!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

Dollywood is different from Disney World. I really enjoy it but have to understand that there isn't the loud up to date technology stimulating your senses every minute of the day while in the park.

There are great song and dance shows to see and beautiful nature including the eagle show. If you can appreciate the gorgeous Smoky Mountains, the train ride is nice but don't expect it to warp into a 3D show or anything. It's just a big old coal train that takes you around the parks and through the mountains.

All I can say is the place is wholesome and alot would say cheesy. We don't do alot of rides when we go because I want to watch the old time craft makers and just sit and rock in the big rocking chairs. The festival of nations is neat to see either songs and dances from other countries and their own special crafts but it is in no way Epcot.

I think getting a discount like going after 3pm and getting in free the next day is a great way to see the park. You get an idea on the first day of what you would like and a lay of the land and then the next day can tour according to you see fit.

Wear comfortable shoes as there are lots of hills!

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

I think you will enjoy it. We have been several times and we have always liked it. The shows are great, but from what I remember all of them are not going on every single day so I believe you should check the website for those to see if something that you want to see will be open that day. I didnt know to do this, but I do believe that the times are available online.

The rides are OK. My kids like them, but it's not Disney. It's not Six Flags either, but something in between. The park is clean, much cleaner than Six Flags. The people who work there seem friendly. The food is pretty good for a theme park. It's a cute place. I will warn you that it's kind of hilly, so wear comfortable shoes.

I think there is plenty to see and do and I have never left thinking it was a waste of money if that helps. Actually, I find it to be a bargain because you can see and do more there for less money than paying for single shows, putt-putt and go cart rides around that area.

There is also a water park if you would enjoy that. We have never been so I cant advise on that.

Also, check around because I think you can get discounts on tickets either in a book or sometimes McDonald's will offer them if you buy a large drink. We did that once and saved $10.00 on each ticket.

Have a great time!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
Great thread. We are headed there this summer with two teens and we all do like the thrill rides.
Are you doing both parks? The water park and the theme park? If your family is just into thrill rides, I don't know that it will be the best fit personally. There are lots of song and dance family friendly shows and to me the whole place just shouts slow down. I find that at Disney you go and go and go.

Dollywood makes you slow down and see what people are making/cooking/sewing/instrument playing. Again the mountains are beautiful but the theme park certainly isn't adrenaline charged.

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Crystal Brewer
Mouseketeer

As my family has never chosen to do DollyWood we have been from the NC to Tn side of those mtns cause its our fave destination If you have teens I would check out the upside down WonderWorks mine love the tightrope challenge!! They are excited to try DQ next month as they are hoping it one ups lol-Y'all will enjoy the region no matter where you spend your days
Crystal Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
RevFrHeinz
Earning My Ears

I tend to agree with most. We went about five years ago. We enjoyed it. It's a good, clean park. Had a definite feel that they wanted to be like a Disney park.

I also agree that we enjoyed it more than Six Flags, but it still is no Disney.

Nevertheless, a fun and beautiful time in the mountains.
Devoted Husband & Father of one

July 1997 -- Honeymoon at Grand Floridian
Feb. 2000 -- Contemporary
Sep. 2002 -- 3 night cruise: Disney Wonder
Oct. 2004 -- All Star Music
Oct. 2007 -- (Animal Kingdom Lodge one night)
Land & Sea (3 night/4 night)
Polynesian & Disney Wonder
Dec. 2008 -- Pop Century
RevFrHeinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygoofy View Post
Are you doing both parks? The water park and the theme park? If your family is just into thrill rides, I don't know that it will be the best fit personally. There are lots of song and dance family friendly shows and to me the whole place just shouts slow down. I find that at Disney you go and go and go.

Dollywood makes you slow down and see what people are making/cooking/sewing/instrument playing. Again the mountains are beautiful but the theme park certainly isn't adrenaline charged.
We like the rides, but also shows. Love bird shows, husband is a Wildlife Biologist. The DH and kids love water parks too. We like it all!
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
glamdring269
Mouseketeer

Dollywood is a park you can do in a day or two (depending on if you care for the water parks or not). The real perk to Dollywood in my opinion is where it's located. You can enjoy yourself in Dollywood one day, have a hike and a picnic in the Smokies the next, and then back to the park for another day. It's great if you enjoy the outdoors.
glamdring269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: