Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
MercerMom
Mouseketeer

So nervous and disappointed, stay onsite so you won't feel this way!

We are wdw people. We go every three years, but have only been to US once before our kids were born. Well hubby won an Orlando vacation this year, but it was only in the summer and only a few resorts. We thought this would be a Great time to take the kids to IOA and us since they haven't been and dd loves harry potter. I didn't pay close attention and the resort is in Kissimmee not Orlando! Plus we are so used to staying onsite at Disney and using the wonderful fast passes that I am terrified that this trip will be a disaster! We are staying at Silver lake resort. Everyone is talking about getting to the parks 45 minutes before hand and the resort is almost 30 minutes away!!! I understand universals thoughts on fast passes it makes good sense, but I sure wish I could have stayed onsite so I could have taken advantage!

DH(36), Me(35), DD(9), DS(5)

MercerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
gschmerl
Not ignored by the Tag Fairy any longer!!!
Fun lover
Has seen the TF

Yes...staying on site at Universal is priceless. However, you can buy express passes at the parks if crowds are bad. That does get a bit pricey for a famiy though.
gschmerl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercerMom View Post
We are wdw people. We go every three years, but have only been to US once before our kids were born. Well hubby won an Orlando vacation this year, but it was only in the summer and only a few resorts. We thought this would be a Great time to take the kids to IOA and us since they haven't been and dd loves harry potter. I didn't pay close attention and the resort is in Kissimmee not Orlando! Plus we are so used to staying onsite at Disney and using the wonderful fast passes that I am terrified that this trip will be a disaster! We are staying at Silver lake resort. Everyone is talking about getting to the parks 45 minutes before hand and the resort is almost 30 minutes away!!! I understand universals thoughts on fast passes it makes good sense, but I sure wish I could have stayed onsite so I could have taken advantage!

You can't cancel those reservations?
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
MercerMom
Mouseketeer

No! The resort was free, plus a five hundred dollar cash when the week is over. That was the catch I guess. You can't even change the dates once they're set! I can transfer them to someone else but we knew it would be hard to sell a specific week to someone so we didn't try. It's July 13- 20! The crowds will be terrible!!

Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
MichelinMan
I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!

You could always just book 1 night at one of the onsite hotels just to get the free Express passes. 1 night would give you 2 days of passes.

July 1994 : WDW Off-Site on Honeymoon
July 2009 : DLP Newport Bay Club
July 2011 : DLP Disneyland Hotel
July 2013 : WDW Polynesian Resort / Hard Rock Universal / Renaissance SeaWorld
MichelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
No! The resort was free, plus a five hundred dollar cash when the week is over. That was the catch I guess. You can't even change the dates once they're set! I can transfer them to someone else but we knew it would be hard to sell a specific week to someone so we didn't try. It's July 13- 20! The crowds will be terrible!!
Hmmmm....must be a timeshare thing?

I'd certainly look at staying a night or two onsite as well. One night will give you two days of early admission and two full days of unlimited express access.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
gschmerl
Not ignored by the Tag Fairy any longer!!!
Fun lover
Has seen the TF

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Hmmmm....must be a timeshare thing?

I'd certainly look at staying a night or two onsite as well. One night will give you two days of early admission and two full days of unlimited express access.
I don't think it's a time share. Her husband "won" the trip and they weren't given many options.
I agree with getting an onsite room for at least one night since the rest of your trip was paid for. It would probably be less expensive to get an on site room one night than to buy express passes for all of you. Two full days of express for a one night on site stay!
gschmerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No! The resort was free, plus a five hundred dollar cash when the week is over. That was the catch I guess.
Totally off topic, but doesn't this sound REALLY strange? Why do you have to wait until the week is over? What's going to happen during that week? It does sound more like a "win" than a legitimate sweepstakes win--one of those where you "win a promotional package". Which is nothing but a timeshare sell.

Did your husband actually enter a contest? Does he even remember? And do you have the details in writing somewhere? I would just be extra, extra careful. There may be a "condition" in there and if you don't fill exactly, you won't get your money--that could be more of a headache than the crowds!

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschmerl View Post
I don't think it's a time share. Her husband "won" the trip and they weren't given many options.
I agree with getting an onsite room for at least one night since the rest of your trip was paid for. It would probably be less expensive to get an on site room one night than to buy express passes for all of you. Two full days of express for a one night on site stay!
By a timeshare "thing", I meant one of those things where the timeshare calls you and tells you that you've won a vacation and all you have to do is sit through their presentation. I've "won" many of those but never accepted.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
schumigirl
I`ve bought one of those for this year....it`s in fuscia pink though......You`ll be able to see me from the air
It`s a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Quote:

Why don`t you get the money with the prize at the start of the trip?

About a thousand years ago I won a 5 day trip to Munich and £500 spending money.......I got the cheque before we even left for the trip. Just curious why you have to wait till the end of the trip.

Definately consider booking one of the onsite hotels for one night, as said before you would get 2 full days of Express Pass and early entry. We were there at that time last year and it was busy.

SEPT 2007 2 WEEKS BUENA VISTA PALACE & HHN
SEPT 2008 2 WEEKS POFQ &HHN
AUG 2009 2 WEEKS RPR
OCT 2010 2 WEEKS RPR & HHN
AUG 2011 2 WEEKS RPR
JULY 2012 17 NIGHTS RPR
APRIL 2013 WEEK IN NEW YORK
SEPT 2013...17 NIGHTS RPR &HHN
MAY 2014.....2 WEEKS IN NEW YORK
SEPTEMBER 2014....18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
SEPTEMBER/OCT 2015 18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
schumigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Doesn't universal offer an express pass you can buy?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
ellie'smom
Mouseketeer

A free trip, is a free trip. Enjoy it and look at it as a blessing, not something you must overcome.
ellie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
MercerMom
Mouseketeer

We are farmers and we are members of a reward program for buying certain seeds and chemicals. The more you buy the bigger the rewards. This same program gave us Nikon digital cameras and video equipment last year. This year we chose to try one of their travel rewards. There isn't a catch other than the limited resorts and weeks you can go. The reason you get the money the week after is to make sure you actually take the trip I guess.
After reading some other posts I had actually thought about the one night on site idea. I really need to look into that.
Just the one week at the resort is free. We still have to pay for everything else.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)

Hmmm, better check the fine print!

Quote:
Silver lake resort.
Silver Lakes Resort in Kissimmee is a timeshare. I'd take a closer look at your "travel documents" and see what the requirements are. At the minimum, you will be required to sit through a 90 minute sales presentation. They usually drag these out for more than two hours until they understand that you really mean NO! Just stand your ground and they will eventually relent. One trick I like to use for these types of "sales presentations" is to go online and find all of the lowball timeshare resale listings and ask them if they can match those. They will usually give up once they realize you'd probably buy from the secondary market before you'd pay full price.

Good luck, and enjoy Universal and Islands Of Adventure - we sure did! I'd make sure that I read through all of the hints and tips on how to make the best of your visit. I found a ton of good info here that really helped us.

More Info Here...
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Doesn't universal offer an express pass you can buy?
They do but often it is cheaper to stay onsite for one night than to buy express passes for a family for a few days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: