Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

How much to send with child for senior trip?

How much would you send with your child for spending money on their senior trip? They are headed to FL for 5 days. They are doing Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, the beach, and Downtown Disney. All meals are included. DW and I just aren't sure what a fair amount is. DS is VERY responsible with his money. What do you think would be a good amount?
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Reddy
Scrapbooker

how are the adults that are going??
the reason I"m asking is my senior trip was just a shopping spree for the adults - we did do the Zoo for an hour & half - the Mall got 3 hours & the adults were loaded down with bags (then went over to another shopping center)

how about snacks?? extra drinks if it is going to be hot
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy
how are the adults that are going??
the reason I"m asking is my senior trip was just a shopping spree for the adults - we did do the Zoo for an hour & half - the Mall got 3 hours & the adults were loaded down with bags (then went over to another shopping center)

how about snacks?? extra drinks if it is going to be hot
Adults are all very responsible. It's a very good group in charge. That shouldn't be an issue like your trip was. That really is a shame that happened on your trip.

Snacks and extra drinks are on them. They are going to be there before it gets hot. The only thing they suggested was a roll of quarters for the hotel for snacks out of the vending machine.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
shortbun
Peacenik

I'd send a couple quarter rolls and probably at least $25 a day($1s and 5s) in case there's an emergency. Then, I'd discuss with him how much he thought he'd need for a couple souvenirs. T-shirts down there can be expensive in the parks. I'd want him to be able to buy a shirt for everyone to sign and maybe another as a momento.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

I can't help with a $$ amount, but just wanted to "toss this out there" does your DS have a debit card - or other emergency way to get money if the original amount isn't enough?

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

My ds went for a school convention has been to the parks (basically growing up in them) yet with all the Hoopla of the trip , youd think hed never gone before...
needless to say the CC was like 300...went thru cash too, about 100 and it was a 5 nite trip...Just say'n
And as an aside, we had no issue with the costs and has had his own cc since about 15...
.so, Id go with your gut...Id rather give Xtra than too little, but that s just me...

Wishing it is a safe and MAGICAL trip
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! DS does have a debit card that he will be taking. DS has grown up in the Disney parks. He has only been to the other parks 1 time in his life in younger years. He isn't a big souvenir person. He usually buys himself a tee shirt and a sweatshirt every Disney trip. I am thinking 2 rolls of quarters for the hotel would be a good idea. I also think I will pick up a couple boxes of snacks to pack for him too.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Goofy22
DIS Veteran

My dd went on her senior trip to Universal Studios for 5 days last May and for the most part her food was included except like two meals they did a group dinner that was oop and we sent her with 400 to be safe seems like most kids had 300-400 on them whether it was all cash or cash n debit card . She had half and half hope this helps.
Goofy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #9
nicki.momof3
Addicted to Disney Vacations

I would match whatever he has. It will help him realize the hard work that goes in to earning $$$ for a trip and he may make better decisions.

It he saves a good amount than he will have $$ to come home with a use for college or whatever.

I think at that age kids need to be responsible for some to their $.
nicki.momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki.momof3
I would match whatever he has. It will help him realize the hard work that goes in to earning $$$ for a trip and he may make better decisions.

It he saves a good amount than he will have $$ to come home with a use for college or whatever.

I think at that age kids need to be responsible for some to their $.
Agree with all of this. I will say that he has already paid for a portion of the trip. The trip is 1275.00. He raised 437.00 in fundraising and paid 400.00 in cash towards it. DW and I paid the difference. We felt it was important for him to contribute. Still torn on the amount to send with him.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

I would send $50/day. I think that is more than enough for drinks / snacks / souvenirs and extras.

My daughter is going on a 4 day snowboarding trip to Maine next week with the school. We're sending $150-$200 with her, but that needs to cover her food.

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
cvjw
DIS Veteran

DS went on a 4 night trip to NYC, and we sent $500 with him, and he spent it all. He was only responsible for a couple breakfasts/lunches, and just spending money. I wanted DS to be able to do whatever the other kids were doing, so we gave him extra to cover anything that came up. He had a blast!
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
MarthaJr.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEVILdrPorkchop2u View Post
Agree with all of this. I will say that he has already paid for a portion of the trip. The trip is 1275.00. He raised 437.00 in fundraising and paid 400.00 in cash towards it. DW and I paid the difference. We felt it was important for him to contribute. Still torn on the amount to send with him.
I would give him the same amount that he put in aside from fund raising--$400. However, I would give $200 in cash and give him the other $200 to put on his debit/cc and then also a couple rolls of quarters and a bunch of snacks ie. junk food (lol!) for the hotel room. I don't think I would be comfortable with him walking around with that much cash to possibly lose or have stolen. However I agree with other posters about better to have more than you need and come home with some cash than not to have enough. Especially since you say he is good with his money.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

My sons went to disney/universal for their senior trip. Luckily they had been to the world many times prior so they sort of knew what to expect as far as spending.

We sent them with 70 bucks a day.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
MinnieForMe
DIS Veteran

Did the school give you a suggested amount? I wouldn't go higher than $300 if he also has a debit card.

Are they flying or taking a bus? We packed a lot of snacks and our son had plenty to eat on the bus ride home when everyone else was hungry.

2000 - Dixie Landings
2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Palms.

Took a break from Disney for Grand Cayman 2013.

2014- Florida and Aruba

I need to remind myself often to: "Enjoy life. To remember that life is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fastpass. Make the most of everyday and enjoy the ride!"
MinnieForMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: