Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
alongtimeblooming
i am a weapon of massive consumption.
 
alongtimeblooming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdisneymom
Did you notice any difference in your experience in the parks or DTD? We are going to be there during a gymnastics national competition. They will not be staying at our resort but I'm sure hoping it doesn't effect our experience in the parks.
DB and I were there for 2/1 to 2/8 and we didn't find them disruptive in the parks at all. We FP everything, so keep that in mind. We were even in DHS for Superbowl Sunday and it was totally fine!
__________________
Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort DVC member.
- - -
October 2009: Saratoga Springs DVC. First time staying as a DVC member! First time going to Food and Wine AND Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!
February 2013: First time coming home to Bay Lake Tower.
September 2013: Animal Kingdom: Jambo House DVC
alongtimeblooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 681

Between Dance Competitions, Cheer Competitions (College, High School, All-Star, Side-line), band competitions, and other events, you are most likely going to hit some group of people.

I have been a cheer mom for 7 years and am a member of some of the larger on-line communities, facebook pages, etc. and you just are never going to know about all of them because there are too many of them.

I will tell you, in Florida the cheer competitions can start as early as October, but peek in Jan/Feb through April (ending with the Worlds Competition at the HP Field House. Teams and fans from all over the world are there.)

Prime locations in the Orlando area that these events are held:

Disney HP Field House
Gaylord Palms Convention Center
Orlando Convention Center
Peabody Hotel Convention Center
Silver Spurs Arena
Inside Universal Parks

There may be some at a few other locations. My friend's daughter joined the school Color Guard and has been to Orlando for competition already this season. There are countless events held in Orlando.

Yes, the cheerleaders stick together in groups, they are loud, they laugh, they tumble and stunt outside the doors and down the hallways. They have tons of fun. So do the parents. On occasion the parents can behave worse than the kids. Everyone tends to let loose form all the weeks/months of stress from preparing for the competition.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
SolitaryPhoenix
Mouseketeer
 
SolitaryPhoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 411

We just got back from a POP Century weekend a few hours ago, and the place was packed with them, both English and non-English speaking ones. For the most part they seemed like nice enough kids, but there were definitely some issues. There were a lot of the several or more people blocking a whole sidewalk off thing, and coming into an elevator before letting people off; basically some of them needed a few lessons in manners. More irritating to me was a series of crank phone calls from young girls yesterday afternoon and evening, mostly to my 77-year-old mom, who had stayed in the room because she didn't feel well. They did it again when I got back to the room; first my daughter picked up and got mad, hung up. They did it again, and I picked up and stopped it! I was traveling with my 16 year old daughter (and 15 year-old nephew who had NO problem with them being everywhere! Well, except when it came to rides, see below...), and anyone who has teenaged girls knows there's always that silly female judging thing going on, and there were a few looks and giggles behind hands that got her fuming, and that's never fun! There was a lot more running around and shouting and 'kid' noises than there usually are at night while we were trying to get to sleep.

Yes, you could probably avoid most of this by staying at the deluxes and most of the mods, but not everyone can afford that - the only reason we usually do is because I'm a DVC member. I can't afford $200 and up for one night most of the time - I'm a single parent and caregiver with a fairly decent job, but just decent! At the very least, I would think Disney could let you know what you're getting into if booking at x-resort for xyz days, cause I definitely would've looked into a different weekend or resort.

Also, I've seen a few people post that it doesn't effect the parks, but it seemed the wait times were definitely higher and attendance was more dense this weekend than it's ever been on my past visits. I understand there's always something going on, but nothing like this - they were everywhere. Maybe I've lucked out in the past - I've seen large groups that took over a ride for a bit, but nothing like this. I'd rather see them give over a ride completely - and let people know about it! - for an hour or so, just large groups, and then let the groups know outside of that time, they'll need to break up into smaller groups of 5 or 6 and let non-group people feed in between those smaller groups. My mom and I waited almost 2 hours for my daughter and nephew to get off Test Track, and there were at least 4 large groups that came out during that time.

I guess I wish there was some kind of calendar available for the normal visitor to check before we book and spend (and in some instances really waste) our time and money. Maybe even something showing when the groups will be at the parks instead of at ESPN, some thought given to those who aren't part of these groups. I understand everyone deserves to be at Disney and have a great time, but these huge groups' pleasure shouldn't mean the rest of us don't get to go to the resorts or parks and enjoy them as well.

And I do apologize if this 'rant' steps on someone's toes, but I was really aggravated about my mom being pranked and the number of rides my kids had to pass up or wait forever on because of this.
__________________
Me52 DD17 Mom78 Nephew16 Shiloh Rascal Raven
11/04 ~ PC | 10/3-10/8/05 ~ PC | 12/16-12/18/05 ~ CS | 1/27-1/29/06 ~ split PC/CS | 3/3-3/5/06 ~ POR | 9/24-9/30/06 ~ split Swan/POR | 6/6-6/9/07 ~ PC | 6/8-6/14/08 ~ POR ~ DD 1st visit! | 9/12-9/14/08 ~ AKV Jambo ~ 1st as DVC members! | 12/19-12/21/08 ~ WL [DVC] | 5/10-5/14/09 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] | 6/5-6/7/09 ~ PC |7/26-7/28/09 ~ OKW [DVC] with DD | 9/17-9/19/10 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] ~ Mom's 75th, whole family's coming! | 6/24-6/26/11 ~ FW with DD|6/1-6/3/12 ~ FW with DD, nephew + friends | 6/24-6/29/12 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] ~ My '50 Is The New 40' Birthday Celebration! |8/9-8/12/12 ~ FW with DD + friend | 9/21-23/12 ~ AKV [DVC] ~ first stay at Kidani! | 2/8-2/10/13 ~ PC | 3/2-3/3/13 ~ PC w/ DD + friend | 5/10-5/12/13 ~ CS w/ DD ~ Solo Camping Trip!| 9/13 - 9/16/13 ~ AKV-Kidani | April 4 thru 6, 2014 ~ AKV-Kidani ~ Flower & Garden | June 21 to June 22, 2014 ~ WL ~ DD and me!
September 4 thru 7, 2014 ~ Disney Dream cruise with the family! || September 27 to September 28, 2014 ~ OKW ~ aunt/nephew time! || November 13 thru 16, 2014 ~ FW ~ camping with DD
SolitaryPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
dalayney
Mouseketeer
 
dalayney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bristol, Wisconsin
Posts: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryPhoenix View Post
We just got back from a POP Century weekend a few hours ago, and the place was packed with them, both English and non-English speaking ones. For the most part they seemed like nice enough kids, but there were definitely some issues. There were a lot of the several or more people blocking a whole sidewalk off thing, and coming into an elevator before letting people off; basically some of them needed a few lessons in manners. More irritating to me was a series of crank phone calls from young girls yesterday afternoon and evening, mostly to my 77-year-old mom, who had stayed in the room because she didn't feel well. They did it again when I got back to the room; first my daughter picked up and got mad, hung up. They did it again, and I picked up and stopped it! I was traveling with my 16 year old daughter (and 15 year-old nephew who had NO problem with them being everywhere! Well, except when it came to rides, see below...), and anyone who has teenaged girls knows there's always that silly female judging thing going on, and there were a few looks and giggles behind hands that got her fuming, and that's never fun! There was a lot more running around and shouting and 'kid' noises than there usually are at night while we were trying to get to sleep.

Yes, you could probably avoid most of this by staying at the deluxes and most of the mods, but not everyone can afford that - the only reason we usually do is because I'm a DVC member. I can't afford $200 and up for one night most of the time - I'm a single parent and caregiver with a fairly decent job, but just decent! At the very least, I would think Disney could let you know what you're getting into if booking at x-resort for xyz days, cause I definitely would've looked into a different weekend or resort.

Also, I've seen a few people post that it doesn't effect the parks, but it seemed the wait times were definitely higher and attendance was more dense this weekend than it's ever been on my past visits. I understand there's always something going on, but nothing like this - they were everywhere. Maybe I've lucked out in the past - I've seen large groups that took over a ride for a bit, but nothing like this. I'd rather see them give over a ride completely - and let people know about it! - for an hour or so, just large groups, and then let the groups know outside of that time, they'll need to break up into smaller groups of 5 or 6 and let non-group people feed in between those smaller groups. My mom and I waited almost 2 hours for my daughter and nephew to get off Test Track, and there were at least 4 large groups that came out during that time.

I guess I wish there was some kind of calendar available for the normal visitor to check before we book and spend (and in some instances really waste) our time and money. Maybe even something showing when the groups will be at the parks instead of at ESPN, some thought given to those who aren't part of these groups. I understand everyone deserves to be at Disney and have a great time, but these huge groups' pleasure shouldn't mean the rest of us don't get to go to the resorts or parks and enjoy them as well.

And I do apologize if this 'rant' steps on someone's toes, but I was really aggravated about my mom being pranked and the number of rides my kids had to pass up or wait forever on because of this.
I completely get where you're coming from. Now, I feel we are pretty laid back, and we don't get upset over much. My DH and I have a pretty high tolerance level. I feel we give most everyone the benefit of the doubt.

But.... some people need to realize that not all of us can go to WDW on a regular basis. Some people, this is a once in a lifetime trip. How would you feel, spending $4,000-$6,000... saving for the trip for years... to have it ruined by other resort guests keeping you up all night, overwhelming the food courts, the rides, etc. Especially when some of us try like heck, to go at a time where it's not a madhouse. (although I hear off peak times are a thing of the past) I feel for people that leave WDW less than happy because c*ap like this.

Heck, we thought we had done our research. We booked going off of crowd calendars, etc. Spent alot of time trying to figure out a decent time to go, taking our kids out of school, etc. Booking our reservations through disney, they didn't tell us that the pool would be closed while we're there, or that it will probably be filled w/cheer groups. (we're staying feb 23-March 5th... that last weekend March 1-3rd is w/the cheer groups will be there) Kinda scratching my head on this... wishing we we're informed....

No matter what, I know we'll have a great time at our upcoming trip. Because that's just the type of family we are. We roll w/the punches. And we do adore disney. Last trip we had was in 2005.

Now, like I said before, my 14yr old son will love this whole cheerleader overload. Me? Eh... we'll see.
__________________


January 2005 offsite
January 2007 ALL STAR MOVIES
Febuary/March 2013 ALL STAR SPORTS
Planning our first ever "no kids" WDW trip December 2015~
dalayney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #20
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,619

We were there for the last 10 days of January. We stayed at POFQ. No cheer groups there but did notice them at the parks somewhat, our last 5 days or so. They were pretty well behaved at the parks, and really had no effect as far as wait times, unlike the huge Brazilian tour groups, when they hit an attraction the wait times soar.
I have noticed a vast improvement with their (Brazilian tour group) behaviour this trip. Maybe Disney had a word with the tour companies about the kids behaviour? I only heard loud chanting once. They were quiet, respectful, no pushing, no line cutting. A nice change.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalayney View Post
I completely get where you're coming from. Now, I feel we are pretty laid back, and we don't get upset over much. My DH and I have a pretty high tolerance level. I feel we give most everyone the benefit of the doubt.

But.... some people need to realize that not all of us can go to WDW on a regular basis. Some people, this is a once in a lifetime trip. How would you feel, spending $4,000-$6,000... saving for the trip for years... to have it ruined by other resort guests keeping you up all night, overwhelming the food courts, the rides, etc. Especially when some of us try like heck, to go at a time where it's not a madhouse. (although I hear off peak times are a thing of the past) I feel for people that leave WDW less than happy because c*ap like this.

Heck, we thought we had done our research. We booked going off of crowd calendars, etc. Spent alot of time trying to figure out a decent time to go, taking our kids out of school, etc. Booking our reservations through disney, they didn't tell us that the pool would be closed while we're there, or that it will probably be filled w/cheer groups. (we're staying feb 23-March 5th... that last weekend March 1-3rd is w/the cheer groups will be there) Kinda scratching my head on this... wishing we we're informed....

No matter what, I know we'll have a great time at our upcoming trip. Because that's just the type of family we are. We roll w/the punches. And we do adore disney. Last trip we had was in 2005.

Now, like I said before, my 14yr old son will love this whole cheerleader overload. Me? Eh... we'll see.
How did your trip go? My daughter's cheer team was at the cheer comp during your stay, although we just drove up from Tampa that day. Her team/gym did excellent taking home several first place and the Spirit Award presented by Mickey and Minnie.

FYI - it's not cheap for the cheerleaders either. They are paying just as much, or perhaps more because of the competition fees to visit These girls paid their park tickets the same as everyone else. They have the right to fill the buses and fill the parks as any other "vacationer" does. At this particular competition (which was a very small competition by comparison to others) was mostly out of state gyms from Hawaii, IL, NY, NJ, etc.) They were there to enjoy their trip to Disney as well. I suspect it was probably their spring break trip.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #22
twodogs
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 354

For the big contest in late April, will the kids stay the following week in the parks? We are at BLT but wondering if the parks will be crowded with cheerleaders and their families?

Last edited by twodogs; 03-11-2013 at 11:15 PM.
twodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
si-am
DIS Veteran
 
si-am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,632

We just got back yesterday, and I did see some cheer groups around the parks, but not a ton of them and they weren't a problem. We stayed at AoA and none of them were there, at least that I could see.
__________________
ºOº
si-am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran
 
VAfamily1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am View Post
We just got back yesterday, and I did see some cheer groups around the parks, but not a ton of them and they weren't a problem. We stayed at AoA and none of them were there, at least that I could see.
I was actually just about to post--my cousins and aunt are there for the cheerleading right now, and they stayed (still staying, not sure if they have come home yet?) at AoA! In a Nemo room

Maybe they decided to stay separate from the rest of their squad though?
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #25
AuroraRora
Princess
 
AuroraRora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,501

I just got back from ASMusic and it seems like they're all there! I didn't notice any problems at the park but I hated it at the resort. Don't get me wrong, I know they have as much right as anyone else, but most other people don't travel in giant packs. The pool, food court and buses all went from empty to bursting at the seams, depending on if their giant group showed up - something that wouldn't happen instantly with families instead of tour groups. It wasn't a major issue but I'm going to be careful to time my future trips to avoid cheer groups if possible.
__________________
Oct '00, '02, '04 - Off-property 3 weeks each
March 06 - Spring Break
July '07 - AK Lodge 3 weeks
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #26
gigglesgee
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
For the big contest in late April, will the kids stay the following week in the parks? We are at BLT ! But wondering if the parks will be crowded with cheerleaders and their families?
Most will be leaving on Tuesday I would say, but that week will be busier than a normal week. The cheer season is FINALLY over after this competition and a lot of times (as it is with our daughter) this is one of two weeks that she has off for the next year. We opted to stay a couple of extra days for this reason.
I can't wait!! SO EXCITED&.BRING ON WORLDS!!!
__________________

  • POFQ - July 2011 (1st Walt Disney Trip)
  • POP - April 2013 (Allstar Cheerleading Worlds)
  • Dolphin - March 2014 (UCA Cheerleading Nationals)
  • POP - April 2014 (Allstar Cheerleading Worlds)
gigglesgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #27
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran
 
cheer25mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglesgee View Post
Most will be leaving on Tuesday I would say, but that week will be busier than a normal week. The cheer season is FINALLY over after this competition and a lot of times (as it is with our daughter) this is one of two weeks that she has off for the next year. We opted to stay a couple of extra days for this reason.
I can't wait!! SO EXCITED&.BRING ON WORLDS!!!
Our gym is sending a team to worlds for the first time this year! I think that they are heading out Tuesday as well. Many are heading in early however because the week before is our spring break. Good luck to you guys!
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #28
gigglesgee
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom View Post
Our gym is sending a team to worlds for the first time this year! I think that they are heading out Tuesday as well. Many are heading in early however because the week before is our spring break. Good luck to you guys!

Thanks!!! Good Luck to y'all as well!
__________________

  • POFQ - July 2011 (1st Walt Disney Trip)
  • POP - April 2013 (Allstar Cheerleading Worlds)
  • Dolphin - March 2014 (UCA Cheerleading Nationals)
  • POP - April 2014 (Allstar Cheerleading Worlds)
gigglesgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #29
firstwdw
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 650

On Sunday the 28th....what exactly does this mean as posted on the Cheer website? What time is this taking place and how will it affect the park?
"Dance Worlds Semi-Finals and International Junior Dance Finals Competition at World Showplace Pavilion at Epcot"
Should we AVOID Epcot on the 28th? We are due to arrive that day and were planning on an evening in Epcot and Illuminations. That would be our one Epcot day.
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #30
wintotty
Mouseketeer
 
wintotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 80

We were at WDW from 2/7 to 2/13, I didn't see any at AKL but saw enough at the parks. I didn't mind much (except when this one group bumped into me pushing a stroller really hard trying to go through the crowds, so my husband said "excuse you" and this woman who seemed like a parent or teacher turned around and yelled "I'm leading a large group here!" which is NOT an excuse to push anyone in my opinion), but what really annoyed me was at the end of the park day and everyone is tired waiting for a bus(my baby was asleep in my carrier), bunch of cheer groups are shouting/chanting their school cheers non-stop walking and waiting while they are waiting for buses. If some random group was obnoxiously shouting and bothering like that at WDW, I bet CM will do something about it (or people will complain)....
__________________


CBR March 2012
AKL February 2013
Poly October 2013
POFQ February 2014
POFQ November 2014
wintotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.