Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
ahelmes71
Earning My Ears

Cheerleader Overload

Just got back from a week at CBR. Vacation started out nice enough, but by mid-week the cheerleaders began pouring in for some sort of National competition and I felt like I was unwillingly thrust into the middle of Spring break. Loads of people milling around in the food court when you wanted to grab a quick bite, and the pool areas were much busier.

Earlier in the week we had usually 8 to 10 people on the Disney park buses. By Friday they were full to standing capacity. It's not that the kids were causing trouble...it's just the situation when you suddenly have hundreds of kids in a resort having fun. The noise level and crowd level increases, our ability to enjoy the amenities decreases. If it was peak season we'd expect that, but we specifically attempted to go during off-season for a peaceful quiet resort experience as we had in October a few years back. Oh well, live and learn.

Last edited by ahelmes71; 02-09-2013 at 04:43 PM.
ahelmes71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
cmhand30
Princess & The Lost Boys

We try to miss those type of events but never fails there is always something going on at WDW. It is almost like off season is no longer "off." It would be nice if they would publish a calendar of these events so vacationers would know about them. But I guess that is what the boards are for.
2008 - Jan - YC CL, Oct - ASM, Dec - POP
2009 - Feb-POFQ, April-BWV, May-BC CL, June-DCL Magic, July-GF CL, Aug-BLT, Sep-BLT, Oct-POP, Dec SSR
2010 - Apr/May - POP/SSR, May - HHI/GF CL, July -SSR, Aug- WL CL, Oct-OKW, Dec-Poly CL
2011 - Feb -OKWX2, Mar - CSR, May - SOG, Jul-GFCL, AUG - CBR/ASSR, Oct -DCL Magic/BCR, Dec - WLR
2012 - Jan-POP/ASM, May - BLT/VWL, Aug-OKW
2013 - Mar - YC CL/BCV, July - SSR, Aug - DCL Dream - 2014 - Sep - DCL Magic - Southern Caribbean
cmhand30 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Cheert789
Earning My Ears

If you stay at Disney between feb 1st and the middle of march at either the Allstar resorts or Caribbean you will see cheerleaders. There is a co petition almost every weekend in that time frame there.
Cheert789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
tstidm1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheert789 View Post
If you stay at Disney between feb 1st and the middle of march at either the Allstar resorts or Caribbean you will see cheerleaders. There is a co petition almost every weekend in that time frame there.
I thought the Competition ended sometime this week. If there is a competition the weekend of 3/1-3/3, I will remember that when I see a full resort at that time.
June 2011 Off Site
July 2012 Pop Century
March 2013 All Star Sports
July 2014 Dis Exclusive ABD Backstage Magic

Maybe March 2015 trip to Universal Orlando (Going to the Dark Side maybe).
tstidm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I suppose it comes with experience- learning when to expect some of these huge sports/cheer groups, and knowing where they are usually lodged. You are usually safe at the Deluxes. One of the mods is usually subject to these groups- lately it always seems to be CBR. And AS Sports and at least one other value are usually tagged as well.

There are a couple of websites that you can check to see if a major event is going on during your projected dates. Mouseplanet notes some of them on their weekly park update. And I think the ESPN/WWOS also has a search function that shows you sports activities going on each month.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
lucas
°o°

It seems like they are always there. My experience: They hang in packs and like to make fun of people.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas
It seems like they are always there. My experience: They hang in packs and like to make fun of people.
Funny that is how I treat them.
pl4bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you got caught in the mix of all of the cheerleaders. I see how it can cause trouble... The only type of resort you would not find them in at this time would be villas and deluxe.

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354
FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
nonstopdisneymom
Mouseketeer

Did you notice any difference in your experience in the parks or DTD? We are going to be there during a gymnastics national competition. They will not be staying at our resort but I'm sure hoping it doesn't effect our experience in the parks.
nonstopdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

Large groups like that always stay in the values/mods. If you wish to avoid them, you should stay in a deluxe or go at a time of year when there aren't competitions going on at Disney. This particular time of year is notorious for cheer/dance competitions.

I stayed at Pop last month and there were Brazilian tour groups everywhere. I was expecting this and with my budget right now, it was either stay in a value or don't go. I just knew I would need to exercise patience in dealing with the number of people around. It really wasn't that big of a deal.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
dalayney
Mouseketeer

LOL, when we booked, we thought we were avoiding the cheerleaders, but just found out there's another competition the last weekend we're there. (we're going Feb 23-March 5th)
Oy! Nothing like waking up to screaming pyramids, fake smiles, and bright makeup... right out your window. We requested a room to the back of the building.

On the plus side? My 14yr old son will love it.

January 2005 offsite
January 2007 ALL STAR MOVIES
Febuary/March 2013 ALL STAR SPORTS
Planning our first ever "no kids" WDW trip December 2015~
dalayney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #12
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

My son's teacher is down in Disney now coaching one of those teams!

We have been to Disney several times in Dec during the pop Warner championship and never had any issues but we always make sure to stay at a deluxe resort that week to avoid them.

From what we have seen typically they are in the parks more at night then durning the day b/c games and competitions are held during the day. But the cheerleaders we have encountered always seemed to be more of an issue then the football players. The girls could get really obnoxious with all the cheering and just being LOUD in general!

We were just there in mid dec for a quick trip and unknown to us we were there during some HS basketball tournament and we were staying at All Star Sports where all the teams were staying! Luckily for us we had NO problems. Matter to fact we couldn't have come encounter with a more nicer group of kids.... In the afternoons we would come back to the resort to swim and there was alway a group of kids at the pool they would let my 11 year old DS join in whatever pool game they were playing or they would sit there and talk B ball with him.

I will say the teams did make the buses quite crowded thou!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
casanova5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalayney
LOL, when we booked, we thought we were avoiding the cheerleaders, but just found out there's another competition the last weekend we're there. (we're going Feb 23-March 5th)
Oy! Nothing like waking up to screaming pyramids, fake smiles, and bright makeup... right out your window. We requested a room to the back of the building.

On the plus side? My 14yr old son will love it.
I looked at the scedual and it was the 13-18 at least i think lol
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelmes71 View Post
Just got back from a week at CBR. Vacation started out nice enough, but by mid-week the cheerleaders began pouring in for some sort of National competition and I felt like I was unwillingly thrust into the middle of Spring break. Loads of people milling around in the food court when you wanted to grab a quick bite, and the pool areas were much busier.

Earlier in the week we had usually 8 to 10 people on the Disney park buses. By Friday they were full to standing capacity. It's not that the kids were causing trouble...it's just the situation when you suddenly have hundreds of kids in a resort having fun. The noise level and crowd level increases, our ability to enjoy the amenities decreases. If it was peak season we'd expect that, but we specifically attempted to go during off-season for a peaceful quiet resort experience as we had in October a few years back. Oh well, live and learn.
As a cheer mom I can tell you it is PEEK CHEERLEADING COMPETITION season. From February to April, there are going to be dance teams, cheer teams, etc in Orlando. College Cheer, High School Cheer, All-Star Cheer, Recreation Cheer. They will all have their turn. <3 We love it! The HP Field House is one of several prime locations for cheer competitions. Along with the Silver Spurs Arena (Kissimmee) Orlando Convention Center, Gaylord Palms, and the Peabody Hotel. We live 45 minutes away in Tampa and are always going to Orlando area for competitions.

What you see there now is nothing compared to the Cheerleading Worlds Competition to be held April 27-29 2013. They HP Field House fills to capacity so they have to have one of those jumbo screens outside for all the late arrivals who can't make it inside. We started taking DD 9, there to watch for the first time last year, will go back again this year. You have teams fro all over the world and people coming from all over the world to watch. It is the Olympics of cheerleading.

Last edited by 4kids4karen; 02-10-2013 at 07:21 AM.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhand30 View Post
We try to miss those type of events but never fails there is always something going on at WDW. It is almost like off season is no longer "off." It would be nice if they would publish a calendar of these events so vacationers would know about them. But I guess that is what the boards are for.
No, Disney never really has ever had an OFF season. A bit slower season yes, but never off.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: