DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

"Red Flags" and "Signs" to look out for when renting from a DVC Member

What should I watch out for, what should I do, what should I ask? I am very nervous and hope someone can help put me at ease.
Mac4life30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Disneydivine
Earning My Ears

"Red Flags" and "Signs" to look out for when renting from a DVC Member

Can anyone please help and let me know what are the signs I should be looking out for as a first timer renting out from DVC Member? Ive always done everything strictly straight thru Disney...but money is tight, and I want to give this a try. I'd freak out if I got to Disney and found out I had nowhere to stay! So don't hold back and help! Thank you!
Disneydivine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

if you get an offer for less than the going rate for the DVC resort you are looking at.

say everyone else says $11 per point - but one offer is $7 or less. lots of time these points are in distressed - another words they will run out fairly quickly

now you can still use these points as long as your reservation would be before the points expire.

or it could be from a RCI member who is breaking the rules of RCI - you know these because he/she is saying you will need to pay $95 fee when you get there.

or it is for week and can't be changed.

go read the stickies on the rent board for yourself - think it will help

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

why does this thing say edit/delete when it does not allow me to delete it????

sorry about the double post - not sure why that happened

Last edited by spiceycat; 02-12-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If someone else initiates communication with you and offers you a rental, don't do it. You should initiate all communication.

Like Pat says, if they say there is a $95 fee, decline. That will be an RCI rental and they are not supposed to do that.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Ignore any e-mails or private messages from people you don't initiate communication with. You must be the one to contact them.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Make sure the owner uses a contract. DVC requires owners to use them.

Get references and check them out. They should have multiple references not one or two.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Due diligence and making sure all terms are clear and both parties understand. Gut feeling as well. Renting DVC really requires a lot of trust and you have to be comfortable with the risks as the reservation will remain in the control of the owner until you get there. One option is to use a broker Iike dvcrequest.com. It may be a bit more but it can give a bit piece of mind as the owner doesn't get all the money until you check in.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

There is a lot of good info on the Rent/Trade Board. The following is copied from a Sticky Thread there called **How to use this Board** - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:

"A Word to the Wise"

While the DIS is very proud to share that we have a great record regarding any reported problems with Rent/Trade transactions accomplished as a result of this site, there are some precautions which we feel renters and members alike should consider before entering into any financial agreement.

Renters should ask for and receive a printed confirmation from the member. The confirmation is always sent to the member, but it should be made in the renter's name and forwarded to the renter. It will contain the confirmation number for the reservation and will allow the renter to call the resort directly to verify their reservation. The member will always retain control over the reservation. DVC has indicated in the contract documents that a rental agreement must be provided to the renter, identifying that the terms of rental will follow the terms the member has agreed to for DVC membership.

Members should be aware that they are subject to all reservation policies of DVC whenever they make a reservation- whether it's for themselves, a guest or a renter. If they make a reservation within 30 days of travel, they are automatically subject to holding account rules should they need to cancel the reservation. Members may want to insist on full payment from a renter before making a reservation within 30 days of arrival, as they will at least lose some value for those points should payment not be received.

Both parties should be aware that there is an element of trust required for these transactions. Both sides should be comfortable with the details of the transaction before agreeing to do business. Either party could have some costly disappointment if they do not prepare for these possibilities in advance. We suggest that renters should ask for (and check) references from the member they are working with as well as review past posts on the DIS by that member. Renters should have a home address and home telephone number for the member as a reference. When possible, we suggest that payments be made by credit card to have an additional level of security.

The following threads contain additional important information for those considering renting a reservation:

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Have you read the stickies at the top of the rent/trade board? They are very informative.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
dasani700
Earning My Ears

I have been very fortunate to find someone on the DIS boards a few years back that I have rented from 3 times. It went smoothly. We payed half after she made the reservation, then the rest about a month before. It helped because I already knew a lot about dvc before I ever rented, we used to own 2 contracts but sold them after our Son passed away 7 years ago. But after a year my daughter and I wanted to go back.it made me feel better that she lives in the same state that we do and now we're Facebook friends she wasn't happy when she found out that we bought points at bwv again...she said that I'm her favorite renter...lol. Sorry for being so long.
dasani700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

Thank you
Mac4life30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30 View Post
Thank you
anything else you need

Old 02-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
a742246
older than dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30 View Post
What should I watch out for, what should I do, what should I ask? I am very nervous and hope someone can help put me at ease.
In addition to what the pp says. If they(the renter) are a disboards member and can look up there prior posts to get an idea of their personalities.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
abner1776
DIS Veteran

Just remember that renting points is a two way transaction. THe DVC member has just as much at stake as you have. The last thing we want as DVC members is to have a renter try to cancel at the last minute or have the renter trash the room(as members, we are responsible for the actions of the renter).

As some of the PP have said, get the confirmation number and check with the resort on a regular basis especially around the 30 day window. Any reservation cancelled within the 30 day window puts those points into "holding" which is not something a members wants.

While I do not rent out my points very often, when I do it is usually to the same person...a single mother who lives 3000 miles away. We have developed a great relationship over the years and it works for both of us.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: