Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

Does anyone have a memory foam mattress?

I'm considering buying one at costco. The whole mattress, not just the overlay. Anyone have one? What do you think of it?
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

We had one. I ended up giving it to my brother. This is going to sound weird, but at night it made
me too hot! There was something about the material that made it like you were sleeping in flannel sheets with a down comforter on. I just didn't like it. DH didn't like the way it made his back feel. He said it wasn't awful, but made him a little sore. My brother swears by the thing, but I was happy to see it go!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletsmama View Post
We had one. I ended up giving it to my brother. This is going to sound weird, but at night it made
me too hot! There was something about the material that made it like you were sleeping in flannel sheets with a down comforter on. I just didn't like it. DH didn't like the way it made his back feel. He said it wasn't awful, but made him a little sore. My brother swears by the thing, but I was happy to see it go!
Not weird at all. The top of my mattress is memory foam and it retains heat. I don't like it at all, but its new and cost a small fortune so I'm keeping it. Until I start going through the change and getting hot flashes anyway.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
shoney
DIS Veteran

My kids both have the costco foam mattresses. They are a bit firm. We put memory foam toppers on them to make them softer. They are comfortable with the topper added.

Really depends on what type of mattress you like.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Mine has the gel to keep it cooler. I like it and I AM having hot flashes, lol. I did not want one made in China though so I bought mine at a mattress store.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

I have a sleep number and bought a memory foam topper.

It is HOT. but I really like it.

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I love mine and I sleep so much better.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Ephany
DIS Veteran

We have one from Costco and we love it. Haven't noticed the heat thing that others have mentioned, but DH is a furnace anyway. It is a bit firm, so we bought the gel topper thingy to go on top. I never wake up with a sore back or a crick in my neck now.

If you get the one from Costco, it comes in a nice manageable box. Once that sucker is unfolded though, it takes awhile to expand and you'll never, ever, ever get it back in the box. There was a slight odor, but I slept on it that first night and it had dissipated by bedtime. We're really happy with it and don't think we'll ever go back to a pillow top again.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

We have a Tempurpedic and wouldn't trade it for the world...best mattress EVER! We do have an in balance pad from Sleep Number, which helps prevent it from feeling too hot (all memory foam can suffer from the retained heat issue).
Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

We bought one from Macy's for my daughter. She loves it - says it feels like sleeping on a slice of bread. LOL
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
shortbun
Peacenik

I don't like them. I think they are hot and restrict movement. I like a firm mattress. My husband is heavy(220, 6'5") and I'm not lite. When we are using one in a hotel, my husband's side always has an impression and he can't move around like he wants to. I don't understand why people like them. You can get a foam top mattress with just a little memory foam instead of the whole mattress.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Bella the Ball 360
Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.
I am going to have to sew "whoopie pie" pockets on the hips of my jeans

Mine was supposed to be firm but the one I got rid of was firmer and I had a board between the mattress and box spring. It is okay I WISH I had gotten the extra firm.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippingalong View Post
I'm considering buying one at costco. The whole mattress, not just the overlay. Anyone have one? What do you think of it?
We have had our Tempurpedic foam mattress set for 12 years and love it. It never did have a smell like some have mentioned with their mattresses.

I would never buy an off brand though. The Tempurpedic is not cheap, but you probably get what you pay for. There are different densities of foam, and that would really make a difference in the cheaper brands. Several have mentioned theirs being too hard - it's probably the foam it's made of that is not a good quality. I would be wary of the Costco mattress. Visit the Temperpedic store and compare.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

We had a temperpedic and didn't like it. Returned it after a month. Really kept us hot at night and I'm usually cold natured. Also I'm a side sleeper and my hips had a tendancy to sink lower than my shoulders so i had this stretching sensation along my side. Only way I could sleep comfortably was on my back. It was weird. Some people swear by them though. I personally wouldn't sacrafice the money unless there was a money back guarantee or a trial run or something.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
kathie859
DIS Veteran

We bought a Serta memory foam with the gel middle--it "sleeps" a bit cooler. We both LOVE it. My backaches are gone---
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: