Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
artemis4
Mouseketeer

We really enjoyed our trip last month, and we are considering another next fall. While WBC was fabulous, I noticed that we can book at Silver Lake as well. Silver Lake is less expensive for us, and we could do two weeks there for just under $100 more than one week at WBC.

Does anyone here know how do the two resorts compare in room size, style, and updates, as well as resort amenities? We are good with either for proximity to the Disney parks.

Artemis4, DH, DD16, DD14 DS11, and DS7.
Sept 2015: Offsite TBD
Sept 2012: WBC

Last edited by artemis4; 10-04-2012 at 04:44 PM.
artemis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Keacc
Mouseketeer

We stayed at WBC last November and loved it. We will be at Silver Lake this year from Nov 3rd-10th. I will post a trip report with comparisons when we get back.
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
artemis4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keacc View Post
We stayed at WBC last November and loved it. We will be at Silver Lake this year from Nov 3rd-10th. I will post a trip report with comparisons when we get back.
Thank you. I really appreciate it. The reviews on tripadvisor are always so mixed, that I take them with a grain of salt.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
nancy155
DIS Veteran

I am interested as well. We stayed at WBC in July and loved it and the location was amazing. We are booked with Silver Lake for Thanksgiving week, then back to WBC for March.

I have been researching Silver Lake and it appears to be a very nice resort and location appears nice as well, however maybe not as central as WBC..

I look forward to the review.

nancy155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Silver Lake through the military time share program. The location was great and the hotel was really nice. We were in a 1BR. My only complaint was that the coffee table wasn't toddler friendly (it's removable glass and the kids kept trying to take it off). It's such a quick hop onto Disney property, but it is close to Animal Kingdom so still 10 minutes to the rest of the parks probably. I really enjoyed our stay though.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
nancy155
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your report of Silver Lake.. Sounds like we will have a great time. How could we not tho! We are at DISNEY!!!! And during time of Christmas Decorations!

Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
artemis4
Mouseketeer

Yes, thank you. I'll still look forward to the reports from those going soon, but we are seriously considering a two week stay now, either both at Silver Lake or a split stay at WBC and another property.

Fingers crossed that I can get DH to agree and work the discounts to make it happen. Budget planning spreadsheets, oh how I live thee!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
Keacc
Mouseketeer

We checked in at Silver Lake yesterday around 4:45pm. Friendly staff and quick checkin. You have to go over to another desk to get your parking pass and they ask you about attending their presentation. I said no and that was it. We got a renovated 2 bdrm unit on the first floor in the 700 building. Beautiful unit that is much bigger than WBC. Nice sized screened in patio. Standing charcoal grill right outside (WBC has gas grills). This resort is small compared to WBC or Vistana. Plenty of parking. Pools are huge. lots of equipment in the workout room. Easy access to many restaurants: Bonefish Grill, Olive Garden, Logans Roadhouse, Longhorn Steak House, Miller's Ale House and many more. It is so much less congested in this area. You can also get groceries at Publix, Target or Walmart close by. So far it's
Old 11-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
nancy155
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We checked in at Silver Lake yesterday around 4:45pm. Friendly staff and quick checkin. You have to go over to another desk to get your parking pass and they ask you about attending their presentation. I said no and that was it. We got a renovated 2 bdrm unit on the first floor in the 700 building. Beautiful unit that is much bigger than WBC. Nice sized screened in patio. Standing charcoal grill right outside (WBC has gas grills). This resort is small compared to WBC or Vistana. Plenty of parking. Pools are huge. lots of equipment in the workout room. Easy access to many restaurants: Bonefish Grill, Olive Garden, Logans Roadhouse, Longhorn Steak House, Miller's Ale House and many more. It is so much less congested in this area. You can also get groceries at Publix, Target or Walmart close by. So far it's
Thank you! We check in on Friday November 16th. I have always wanted to try Bonefish Grill, I have heard so much about it.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to post. We are staying at WBC over NYE and Silver Lake on spring break. There is so much info available for WBC but not much about Silver Lake. Looking forward to a full report when you get back. Thanks so much.
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
danda22
Earning My Ears

Quote:
oh thank you for the update!! we have reservations there for 5/31-6/7/13! we are booked in a 1 bedroom, full kitchen. We will have a 10 & 11 yr old with us that will be sleeping on the pull out sofa (hey, we had to cut those costs somewhere and they don't care lol ) Any chance you can tell me just how stocked the kitchen really is? (crockpot, toaster???)... I know it's a vacation but we are still on a budget :-)
danda22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
nancy155
DIS Veteran

Keacc:
I hope you had a wonderful time! We leave on Friday morning for Silver Lake Resort. Can you tell me regarding laundry detergent and kitchen supplies? Thanks! We are really looking forward to trying Silver Lake.. Might be the hidden gem we are looking for!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
mamatohaleybug
Earning My Ears

Does Silver Lake offer free wi-fi in the rooms?
mamatohaleybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
Keacc
Mouseketeer

Everything was great at this resort. We didn't do any of their activities but some people we met did and had fun.
Unit: Service for 8, basic pots and pans, 4 slice toaster, blender, paper towels, extra garbage bags, 2 dish washer tablets, 1 load of laundry detergent, ask for more and they will bring it. They bring clean towels on Wednesday. No free wifi in unit, but go to activity center, lobby or by the pool and it's free. Plenty of parking (not like WBC).

This is our new favorite resort!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
mamatohaleybug
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the review and answering my question!
mamatohaleybug is offline   Reply With Quote