Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Minnie*J*
Mouseketeer

POR or POFQ

I am taking my boys ages 6 and 11 for a week. We were originally staying at All Star Sports but my younger son wants a poolslide. I am trying to decide between POR or POFQ because we have stayed at CBR and CSR and want to try something new.

I can not decide based on the pictures of each hotel. We are going in May, if that makes a difference. I think I like the theming of POR better but thought FQ would be easier to manage by myself with the boys since it is smaller. I think that my boys would like POR better but DS-6, likes the way the poolslide looks at FQ and I can not find a good picture of POR's slide to show him. Is there anything else that I should consider about these two resorts?

Any opinions / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Minnie*J* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Is it really worth the possibly hundreds of dollars different in price *just* for a pool slide??? _I_ would look at using that money for a grand day at a water park. With that said, the slide at POFQ is colorful but very short and small. POR is a longer but still nothing special as far as slides go....YMMV
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Minnie*J*
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post
Is it really worth the possibly hundreds of dollars different in price *just* for a pool slide??? _I_ would look at using that money for a grand day at a water park. With that said, the slide at POFQ is colorful but very short and small. POR is a longer but still nothing special as far as slides go....YMMV

The last couple times we have gone we have chosen moderate level. We only chose All Star Sports because my youngest originally chose that and it is his trip to plan. Now he is talking about a poolslide. I am nervous about sports because I read online after I booked, that there are 2 cheerleading competitions going on while we are there and I am thinking that they may stay at All Star Sports. I read reviews online (lots and lots of reviews) and a good number of them state that the noise level from the large groups of teens is really loud at night and the pools are very crowded. I am worried about tired and cranky kids if they can't sleep because it is loud at night. I also want them to be able to swim. I hadn't planned on going to the water parks because I don't like water parks and the thought of spending a day or multiple days seems like torture to me. I
Minnie*J* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
DisneyFans222
There's a Mouse in our House :)

Personally, I would choose POR given the ages of your boys. IMHO the pool at POFQ seems to appeal most to families with younger children (think toddlers). My DS loves POR and I've been taking him there since he was 4. The other pluses that I love are: a much better (more varied and healthier) food court; a marina (with 2 hour pirate cruises that will give you time for yourself) ; one of the largest arcades; and an awesome pool slide.

All the best with your decision making

August 2014 AKL
June 2014 POP
March 2014 SSR - Spring Break and EPCOT International Flower & Garden Festival
Feb 2014 - POP
Oct 2013 POP - MNSSHP and Food & Wine - Double Header!!!
Aug 2013 POR
June 2013 BWI
March 2013 Fantasy
More than 45 trips to WDW (Being a Florida resident has its perks)
Most Recent: 12/2012 BWI; 9/2012 BWI; 7/2012 SSR; 6/2012 BWI; 11/2011 YC; 7/2011 YC; 02/2011 Poly; 03/2011, etc ...

First Trip 09/1977
DisneyFans222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
GoHerbie
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at POR 3 times and will visit again in Aug. POFQ just doesn't click with us.

As mentioned on www.portorleans.org you're allowed to use either the POR or POFQ pool as long as you're a guest at one of the resorts. The other pool would be a 5-10 minute walk or boat ride away. The POR food court is much nicer than the POFQ one which has a tacky feel.

If you love Mardi Gras then POFQ would be the choice, but if you could care less than POR might be for you.

GoHerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post
I've done that before, booked a moderate for the pool slide.

The slide at POFQ is very small, and better suited to really small kids, imho. POR has a nice slide, but it is not as nice as the one at CSR. So if you really want to stay at either POFQ or POR stay at POR. But the slide at CSR is better.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
rusty4
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at All Star Sports with a Sports team. It was loud! There were tons of teams there. Girls, boys, all over. Mostly unsupervised running around. The walls are thinner too. We have not stayed in a value since. Didn't care for their food court either.

Now POR's food court we love. We have stayed in 2 deluxe resorts and we do miss the foodcourt at POR each stay. Plus you get the queen beds instead of the doubles. That will be nice with the boys sharing a bed.

The times we have stayed in POR my DH has been there for a conference. I have spent alot of the time with DS touring alone. We were always in the back of AB at POR. Loved that section. Close to the bus stop but quiet. Longer walk to foodcourt but didn't mind that. I believe he was 4 and 5 when we stayed there. It is an easy resort to manage. We would stroll over to POFQ for beignets or take the boat, plus took the boat to DTD. We rented the surrey with his Dad (they are heavy).
Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

POFQ has a VERY small foodcourt. But it is nice and small, and has only one bus stop (a huge plus). We only shared a bus twice with POR and it was mid afternoon.
POR has a much better foodcourt and better pool. Both are nice resorts.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: