Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker
Cutting up foods makes me happy
Shared a flight with Carol Brady
Warning! If I don't know you I might bum a ride to get a haircut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy03231 View Post
I think $650 for a family of four is a bit low. Personally, with four of you I would bring at least $1,000. Or bring the $650 if you have access to credit cards or a debit card for the ATM so you can access more cash if you need it.

I took my niece for her first trip when she was 4 (almost 5) and it was just the two of us and we had the DDP. I brought $800 with me and only brought home $200. It seems that at WDW you open your wallet and the money just flies out!
I hear you.

We will of course have access to more money - credit cards, debit cards, etc. - and will use it if we really need it. This is just the budget that we hope to stick to.

May 2005 POR - First trip as a couple
September 2008 POR - Found out we were expecting our middle DD on the last day
September 2009 BCV - Grand Gathering!
April 2010 FW - Tent Camping!
Next trip, February 2013 - Surprise for our 3 kids!
SDFgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Eureka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFgirl
Thanks for the ideas. Our ADRs are:

CRT (we don't pay tip on that, right?)
T-REX
Rose and Crown
Liberty Tree Tavern
Sci-Fi Drive In (I know the food sucks, but our kids will love it)
San Angel Inn
Kona Cafe (breakfast)

Forgot to mention the Kona Cafe - this will be OOP because CRT is 2 credits.

Just looked up beer prices. In restaurants looks like they run between 4.50 and 6.00. Here are my thoughts...

$20 tip on 5 restaurants = $100
Bfast at Kona for 4 = $60
4 drinks x 7 days @ $6 each = 168, round up to $200 for tips
Airport meals, 2 @ $25 each = $50

That comes up to $410, which leaves $240-ish for souvenirs, incidentals, etc.

I think that is do-able. The girls also each have a $30 gift card that they got for Christmas.

Am I overlooking anything?
We went to several of the same restaurants. I know Rose and Crown dinner for us (at the time, it was three Disney adults and a kid) was over $100 (or would have been, anyway, since we used credits) and Sci Fi and Liberty Tree lunches were not much less than that.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFgirl View Post
I hear you.

We will of course have access to more money - credit cards, debit cards, etc. - and will use it if we really need it. This is just the budget that we hope to stick to.
Then I would bring the $650 and try to stick to it.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
KELLY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas. Our ADRs are:

CRT (we don't pay tip on that, right?)
T-REX
Rose and Crown
Liberty Tree Tavern
Sci-Fi Drive In (I know the food sucks, but our kids will love it)
San Angel Inn
Kona Cafe (breakfast)

Forgot to mention the Kona Cafe - this will be OOP because CRT is 2 credits.

Just looked up beer prices. In restaurants looks like they run between 4.50 and 6.00. Here are my thoughts...

$20 tip on 5 restaurants = $100
Bfast at Kona for 4 = $60
4 drinks x 7 days @ $6 each = 168, round up to $200 for tips
Airport meals, 2 @ $25 each = $50

That comes up to $410, which leaves $240-ish for souvenirs, incidentals, etc.

I think that is do-able. The girls also each have a $30 gift card that they got for Christma.

Am I overlooking anything?
For a family of 4 your tips seem low. Also airport food seems low as well. We ate all small subs from Quiznos and only got 3 subs and 3 drinks to share between the 4 of us and it was close to 35.00 . most of the time we went for drinks it was 20.00 for2 drinks and tip.

Many Trips the past 7 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 9 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #20
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
I hear you.

As long as you have access to additional funding, you should be okay. But I agree with the others who think that your estimates for tips and souvenirs is too low. You will have a hard time keeping to your present budget.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #21
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker

Thanks you all. I appreciate the dose of reality. We are going to add $300 to our spending money for this trip. Hopefully $950 should do it!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #22
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I would double it. I went thru over $400 on a 5 night Free Dining stay this past December. When an adult beverage easily costs $12 having a drink or two adds up fast! Plus you may want more snacks that the plan covers, or want to pay out of pocket for an appetizer or two.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
jmkford4
Mouseketeer

We spend more OOP in airport meals and snacks and also in alcohol than I though we would. I went about $200 over budget and I am CHEAP. I think you will be fine as like you said this is just the amount you want to stick to. If you really want to make sure I would pack a small breakfast or meal for whenever you are going to be at the airport. That is what I am planning this next go round. It makes me sick to pay double or triple the cost of airport food when I could have brought it from home.

Planning our first LARGE FAMILY trip for 2015
jmkford4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #24
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFgirl
Thanks you all. I appreciate the dose of reality. We are going to add $300 to our spending money for this trip. Hopefully $950 should do it!
This is what we typically spend and our trip tends to be similar to what you have mentioned as far as spending. I think you will be fine with that budget. You could always spend more but you don't have too...

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

You are correct in that the tip is included with your CRT meal. I have always calculated out our DDP tips before we leave and I find that it winds up with breakfast tips about $15, lunch tips about $20 and dinner about $25. That is without alcohol purchased. So if all your meals are dinner, except for the one OOP breakfast, you're still looking at about $125+ in tips, plus the alcohol and tip.

I think your original $650 would probably go a long way - if you're now planning to take $950, you should come home with at least a couple of hundred.

We take about $400-500 cash with us for a weeklong trip, but charge souvenirs to our room and that goes on my Disney Visa. We usually come home with some cash.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #26
writersblock42
DIS Veteran

I think it is def doable. If that is how much you want to spend stick to it. I would reduce the alcohol a little bit. For example, do you need to drink every day? If you only drink every other day that will save you $100 right there. I think that tips will probably run closer to $150 rather than $100. If your dds have birthdays/other holidays coming up ask for Disney Dollars from your family/birthday guests. If you have a Disney credit card, you can earn Disney dollars on it for every dollar that you spend.
I don't plan on spending more than a couple of hundred outside of food but we are not big souvenir people so I am saying yes, stick to your budget-everything else is paid for so you should have a great time even sticking to a budget.
On-Site 2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
On-Site 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
writersblock42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
ajh88
DIS Veteran

I think you've gotten lots of great advice/input, but I'll just add what I do to "cushion" the budget if you will.

I just specify a certain amount of money (usually $20 or $25) per day as "miscellaneous" - this might cover something like a photo package at a meal (won't apply to any of yours, but just as an example) or an unexpected "must have" snack or souvenir. So, if your trip were my trip, I'd add a cushion of $175. Whatever doesn't get spent one day just rolls over and if I bring it home, awesome, and if not, at least I planned a bit for unexpected costs.

I think if I started with $650 as my "base" and added my cushion, I'd feel pretty good about it. Have a great trip!

ajh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #28
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by writersblock42 View Post
I think it is def doable. If that is how much you want to spend stick to it. I would reduce the alcohol a little bit. For example, do you need to drink every day? If you only drink every other day that will save you $100 right there. I think that tips will probably run closer to $150 rather than $100. If your dds have birthdays/other holidays coming up ask for Disney Dollars from your family/birthday guests. If you have a Disney credit card, you can earn Disney dollars on it for every dollar that you spend.
I don't plan on spending more than a couple of hundred outside of food but we are not big souvenir people so I am saying yes, stick to your budget-everything else is paid for so you should have a great time even sticking to a budget.
No, we don't need to drink every day. I just averaged it out - some days we'll have 1 or zero drinks, some days 3 or 4. I don't think we'll actually drink as much as I'm allowing in the budget...but I like to over-budget so I'll be prepared. With 3 kids, I definitely don't have the energy to go as strong as I used to!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: