Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Exclamation 2013 Mardi Gras parade pictures and reviews

OK...so I went to Mardi Gras tonight mainly for the parade since I'm not really a Lifehouse fan. The place was very crowded but manageable. There were four or five new floats this year that were really cool...some have been seen for several years. I can tell you because of the construction, you'll want to line up for the parade a little earlier than in previous years. I arrived around 7pm and went to Louie's for dinner. I passed lots of good spots on Rodeo Drive but by the time I got back to that area, all the spaces were filled. I usually stand near Mel's but tonight I found a spot in front of Shrek...which wasn't bad. The lagoon show started around 7pm...the parade started around 7:45pm and the concert was supposed to start at 8:15pm...but I didn't stay for the concert this week. Everyone seemed to be into the music and dancing the street performers were doing in the parade. One of the bad things about the parade...if you're trying to take pictures is you will always get hands and heads from the people around you...and there's no way to crop them from the pictures. Next week I'll get there a little earlier and stake out a better spot and hopefully get some better pictures. Anyway...hope you like the pictures!

Last edited by Metro West; 02-09-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

That's it for this week.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

SAWEEEETTTTTT PICTURES MW!
I had figured it would be a pretty big mess...1st night, construction mess and all that!
Gage makes me get to "his" parade viewing spots an hour or mo before the parades start...BEFORE ANY PARADE starts...so that won't be out-of-the-ordinary for us.
Did it appear they were "generous" with the silly beads and stuff?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeev View Post
Did it appear they were "generous" with the silly beads and stuff?
They always are. The lady beside me got at least 35-40 strands...I only got six.

It wasn't that bad really...I've seen real disasters but tonight was OK.

But that's OK...there's always next week.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
schumigirl
I`ve bought one of those for this year....it`s in fuscia pink though......You`ll be able to see me from the air
It`s a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Oh your pictures are just lovely!!! I think it may help being as tall as you are, taking pics when it`s busy It does look like a lot of fun though.

I`ve never heard of Lifehouse.......but more than a bit envious you were in Louie`s and we weren`t

Look forward to more next week

SEPT 2007 2 WEEKS BUENA VISTA PALACE & HHN
SEPT 2008 2 WEEKS POFQ &HHN
AUG 2009 2 WEEKS RPR
OCT 2010 2 WEEKS RPR & HHN
AUG 2011 2 WEEKS RPR
JULY 2012 17 NIGHTS RPR
APRIL 2013 WEEK IN NEW YORK
SEPT 2013...17 NIGHTS RPR &HHN
MAY 2014.....2 WEEKS IN NEW YORK
SEPTEMBER 2014....18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
schumigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
disneydawg10
Earning My Ears

Awesome! Thanks for the pictures. I was going to search to see if anyone had any 2013 photos/videos posted anywhere. We will be visiting for our 1st Mardi Gras visit next weekend, and I'm so excited about the parade (and I'm looking forward to the concert too). I know next weekend will be busy being a holiday weekend and all. DD will be excited about all the beads (and this will be the only way she gets beads ). Let the good times roll!
disneydawg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
PammyK
DIS Veteran

Great pix MW. We got there around the same time as you did and also headed to Louie's (where I couldn't believe how much they've upped the price for a slice of pizza since HHN. $5.49? That is just crazy!) before finding a parade spot. Because we were trying to meet up with friends, we ended up diagonally across from the Twister store by the Monster's bar. Not a bad spot and we got a few strands of beads.

I was pleasantly surprised with crowd control - things seemed to flow pretty well and I never felt concerned for my safety as I have in prior years.

The concert was really good - Lifehouse always gives a great show. Security Team Members were very vigilant in keeping the designated walkways open in the concert area. The only problem that I saw was that there was a delay in the video feed on the screens beside the stage and at the back of the concert area. The video was not sync'd up with the live audio so it was really disconcerting if you were only able to see the video screens versus the stage itself.

I agree that if you want a prime parade viewing spot, you'll need to get situated early. And for the more popular shows, you'll definitely need to make a decision on whether to watch the parade or to get a good spot for the show.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammyK View Post
We got there around the same time as you did and also headed to Louie's (where I couldn't believe how much they've upped the price for a slice of pizza since HHN. $5.49? That is just crazy!) before finding a parade spot.
Yeah...the food prices at Louie's definitely went up since the last time I was there. Even with my AP discount, two slices and a large drink were just over $13.00 where it used to be around $10.00. Still...it's the best theme park pizza I've ever had.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
hpriamson
Mouseketeer

Fantastic pictures! I came inside and looked at them after spending a day digging out from the blizzard - thank you!

Where was the French Quarter this year?
hpriamson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpriamson View Post
Where was the French Quarter this year?
Near Central Park again...I'll take some pictures of that area this weekend since I'm going to stay for the concert.

Last edited by Metro West; 02-11-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Great pics!

I was really impressed with the new China and Mexico floats. Very well done, although I confess I miss the cake girls this year. Does show they are keeping the parade fresh, tho.

Tried to find the AP holding area by Mels but couldn't see it. Ended up watching by Mels, then raced back to Starbucks just in time to catch the parade a second time (only a few people have figured that out so far). Started talking to the couple next to us, turns out the husband played HR Bloodengutz in my favorite HHN house of 2011! Was a nice little surprise to the night.

Haven't seen this mentioned, but the New Orleans opening bands have been moved to a stage on "NY Street" right where the Christmas tree usually is. I liked this a lot, puts them in the center of the action, gives more energy to the whole area. Kind of hope this is permanent even after Transformers opens.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Thanks! I really liked the new floats this year. They were very well done and colorful.

I passed two roped off areas along Rodeo Drive but they were closer to the magic shop and Schwab's than Mel's. I don't know if those were the AP areas or not.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
subtchr
DIS Veteran

I am not a regular USF visitor, but I was there Saturday as a tour guide for a marching band (not the one that marched at US). I LOVED the Mardi Gras parade and John Lisi and Delta Funk! Not a big Lifehouse fan, but the group loved them. We (the entire group) had unlimited meal wristbands, and I agree, the pizza is the best I've had at a theme park. Here are a few of my pics:

Pre-parade:

John Lisi and Delta Funk!

Ft. Wilderness Campground '77, Offsite '81, '83, Dixie Landings '97, Shades of Green '00, DL/DCA Offsite '02, Contemporary '03, AKL '04, SoG/HRH '06, PPH, DL/DCA '06, ASMu 2/09, Beach Club 12/09, Numerous trips as a group tour guide (best job ever!), GC DL/DCA 6/12, UO/Royal Pacific 12/14

My June '06 trip report December 09 Beach Club trip report

subtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
subtchr
DIS Veteran

Parade:

Ft. Wilderness Campground '77, Offsite '81, '83, Dixie Landings '97, Shades of Green '00, DL/DCA Offsite '02, Contemporary '03, AKL '04, SoG/HRH '06, PPH, DL/DCA '06, ASMu 2/09, Beach Club 12/09, Numerous trips as a group tour guide (best job ever!), GC DL/DCA 6/12, UO/Royal Pacific 12/14

Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
subtchr
DIS Veteran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: