Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #16
Mitzzie
Mouseketeer

I would definitely try and get on the boat. I would rather be stuck in a stateroom on the boat then go home. She most likely is at the end of the sickness. How many days are you on the boat?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2minnies View Post
Fingers crossed for you. I hope you are able to go-even if you end up quarantined in your room it is better than not going.

Linda
I'm going to say actually no to that advice.

I'm so sorry for your troubles and things are bleak when you are stressing by yourself. Is she so well that if she were at home and had school today you'd send her off to school on her own with a kiss on the cheek? Then go try. If not, go down to guest services and talk about moving to another resort. They can help facilitate that. I'm sure someone will help with advice about their experience. DCL isn't going to reimburse or find an entire other vacation but generally they seem to want to get people back out on the boat. You will get there.

Hope your daughter gets well soon and you stay feeling well and you both can rest today.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Sending positive thoughts your way

I hope it all works out for you and your daughter feels better soon!!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I don't think DCL screwed you over. I went through them and knew flights, hotels, and such were not covered. It's not exactly hidden info. The pre-existing thing I'm not sure about. You are already on your vacation. I would consider pre-existing issues to be medical problems you already had, not catching a flu type virus. I will be very curious to see what they have to say about that. Your first step should be to call them. Have you done that yet? They can give you far betters than we can. Let us know what they say.

Worse case scenario, they will credit 100% of your cruise. That is why I went with them over a cheaper insurance and plan to get secondary insurance for hotels and such. So you will have to decide whether to try and go now or just wait for a future vacation.

Lastly, I'm sorry this happened to you all. What a horrible let down! We've been saving for our upcoming cruise for years and I would be devastated. You know things can happen but I think you never expect it to happen to you. I would definitely be losing my mind. I hope it's a short virus. Stomach bugs often are. Maybe you will still get to go. (((hugs)))

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 02-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #20
DebbieOBX
Mouseketeer

I'm so sorry your going through this.

My thoughts, go to the ship. Try to board. Kids are resilient!!

Mom, take a deep breath. OK.

God Bless you both.

Debbie
DebbieOBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #21
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

As the mother of a child who has had many stomach viruses, I would head towards port and see what happens. The limo is already paid for, and I would give it as much time as possible. As PP said, most stomach viruses don't last long, and she probably is at the end of it. Though they feel weak initially, they usually snap back pretty quickly once they start eating again. If she is no longer vomiting, she probably isn't contagious any more. If she is vomiting, then you have your answer. Praying for you all, let us know what happens!!

Never mind...I see now that you are contagious for a few days to weeks afterward, so canceling is best. Was hoping for the best for you!!!

Last edited by mom2jcg; 02-09-2013 at 09:40 PM.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #22
Beckers419
Earning My Ears

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (I also have the Disney insurance for our upcoming cruise), but I believe the pre-existing condition clause is for anything that occurs before your paid in full date. Any condition that occurs between your PIF date and the cruise shouldn't count. Won't help with the flights though....

We actually had this happen with our Disney World trip last year, but no insurance. We took a short cruise on Carnival and my son started vomiting the day we disembarked. We drove to our resort at Disney, but ended up going home early--no Disney for us.

Hope everyone gets better soon!
Beckers419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #23
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

I posted a similar thread on here about two weeks ago, except it was the flu for us. Luckily, my DS got tamiflu (as did the rest of the family), and was symptom free more than 72 hours before the cruise. I did call DCL when he first came down with the flu, and they told me that as long as he didn't have fever on boarding day, he would be allowed to board. I also did some googling, and found out that cruise lines very rarely deny boarding to sick passengers. They will most likely confine you to your room for the first 24 or 48 hours. It sounds like your little one is on the up-swing. I bet she'll be good to go by tomorrow or the next day. 24 hours of watching Disney movies and eating mickey bars in the room might do her some good. Then you can enjoy the rest of your cruise. --Katie
Old 02-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #24
GraceLuvsWDW
DIS Veteran

I guess I am the only one who thinks going to the port with a child with an active virus is extremely irresponsible??? What about the 1000's of other passengers that don't need to be exposed to a virus on day 1 of their dream vacation?

I would call DCL and explain everything. As others have stated, the pre-existing clause is for issues that exist prior to booking the cruise. Worst case is you are reimbursed for the cost of the cruise, which is not that bad. Yes, half of your vacation cost (the land portion and airfare) is lost but that is a chance all of us take on these vacations.

I hope your daughter is better this morning!
WDW Pop Mar 2010 * WDW POFQ June 2010 * DLR Aug 2010
WDW WL & WBC June 2011 * DLR Dec 2011
WDW WBC June 2012
DCL Magic March 2013 * Currently Planning: WDW Beach Club/Swan August 2013
GraceLuvsWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #25
Labdog
Earning My Ears

When our kids were sick we would give Pedialite(spelling?) and I think we could see them perk up as they drank it, if you find some at your resort.
Labdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #26
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

We started out a couple of vacations like this. It would pass quickly and we spent the rest of the vacation happy and healthy. I would get on the ship.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #27
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceLuvsWDW
I guess I am the only one who thinks going to the port with a child with an active virus is extremely irresponsible??? What about the 1000's of other passengers that don't need to be exposed to a virus on day 1 of their dream vacation?!
No, I said if she is no longer vomiting. When I said, "if she is, you have your answer," I meant that you don't go and expose an entire ship. Sorry if that was not clear.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #28
DCLMOM13
Earning My Ears

We are not going to port. I can't risk giving this to others. Now she is vomiting and diarrhea as well. I'm stuck at the hotel. Front desk is working on it. I have barely slept in 72 hours. She can't keep Imodium down or anything. I don't even know how we are going to transfer her ANYWHERE right now. Not even to a hospital. It's that bad . I'm beside myself upset. I'm overtired and crying and feel really alone
DCLMOM13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #29
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran

I would also head to the ship. I agree with previous posters that being quarantined in the room would be better than giving up on the trip. Sending positive thoughts your way.

In reply about whether it's irresponsible or endangering others, I don't think it is, as long as you take reasonable precautions. Be sure both of you have clean hands, don't hug and kids strangers, wipe off things you touch with a disinfecting wash, and go straight to the cabin. It's not like you're going to have her go around salivating on everything, and passing through the terminal does not take that long, especially if you board later in the day.
GBBTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #30
DCLMOM13
Earning My Ears

DCL says we are covered, but my prob is we are stuck. I can't leave here with her.
DCLMOM13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: